Idiot question alert - 52 focus points

Started 7 months ago | Questions
paul2009
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
7 months ago

hmm. So is it that with numerous AF points the camera takes an average? What is the advantage of having so many AF points? Surely, in the end, the camera only focuses on one part of the field?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LMCasey
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
Re: Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
In reply to paul2009, 7 months ago

Most people will manually choose the focus point that provides for focus without recomposing. Not many will use a mode that allows the camera to choose.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Event_shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?

You're confusing METERING with FOCUSING. Yes it FOCUSES on one point , BUT meters for 52 points and averages that.
 It does not average focus????

paul2009
Like?
In reply to Event_shooter, 7 months ago

Event_shooter wrote:

You're confusing METERING with FOCUSING. Yes it FOCUSES on one point , BUT meters for 52 points and averages that.

Ah, ok. Of course. This is embarrassing.

But if you're shooting manually (which I am currently trying to teach myself to do) then the metering is irrelevant?

Be brutal. I need to learn.

Paul

christophorosp
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?

paul2009 wrote:

hmm. So is it that with numerous AF points the camera takes an average? What is the advantage of having so many AF points? Surely, in the end, the camera only focuses on one part of the field?

Freedom of choice. Explaining:

1. Single AF selection: As mentioned, its much preferable to choose the AF point closest to your choice of focus spot, than choose center and recompose; minimal plane shifting = greater desired sharpness.

2. For dynamic AF you can use various AF-point groups according to the situation and mostly subject speed. Dynamic AF is used in case of moving objects (like in sports photography) and is used in conjuction with the AF-C mode. In Dynamic AF, the camera uses complex algorithms to track and predict the movement and alter the focal plane accordingly.

You can ofcourse use dynamic AF for still objects but in most cases it will be a hit-and-miss.

Im sure Nikon manuals have much more info in regards to the subject.

-- hide signature --

Christophoros
-----
- Homepage -
http://www.cp-imaging.com/
- Social Media -
flickr.com/photos/christophorosp
500px.com/christophorosp
fb.com/cp.img

christophorosp's gear list:christophorosp's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Greenduck
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?

paul2009 wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

But if you're shooting manually (which I am currently trying to teach myself to do) then the metering is irrelevant?

Paul

The metering is not affect the outcome of your image. In manual mode only you decide how you want the image to look like. However, the metering will still measure the exposure and give info in the viewfinder on how it want you to adjust ISO, aperture or shutter speed. That will be visible in the viewfinder looking at the exposure compensation.

Greenduck's gear list:Greenduck's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton
Beau Nash
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to christophorosp, 7 months ago

The choice between 11 and 51 focus points only applies to manual focus point selection. That is, "manual" in the sense of "choose my focus point manually" and not "turn off AF and focus manually".

In multipoint Dynamic AF configurations, all 51 AF points can (potentially) be used to track a moving subject, even if you've chosen 11 AF points in the Custom Settings.

Beau Nash's gear list:Beau Nash's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Nikon Df +1 more
SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

Why are you trying to teach yourself to shoot in manual? What do you think you can achieve in manual that you can't achieve in one of the automatic modes in combination with exposure compensation and the various metering modes?

But to answer your question, metering still matters if you're shooting in manual, just like focus. Even when you shoot manual you're still using the camera's meter to determine the proper exposure and then slightly varying aperture, shutter or something else to achieve a desired effect.

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
paul2009
Like?
In reply to SergioSpain, 7 months ago

SergioSpain wrote:

Why are you trying to teach yourself to shoot in manual? What do you think you can achieve in manual that you can't achieve in one of the automatic modes in combination with exposure compensation and the various metering modes?

THANK you that is very useful. To answer your first point: I am hoping that by laboriously forcing myself to shoot in manual mode that I will gradually be forced to learn more about light and photography. I may not succeed but that is what i am trying to do!

Paul

SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

I think a better use of your time would be learning the various focus and metering modes your camera offers. Between this, shooting in raw and learning some basic post-processing, you will get the results you're after a lot faster.

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to Event_shooter, 7 months ago

Event_shooter wrote:

Actually metering is separate (though in spot metering mode it may use the focus point as the "spot.")

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?

And you will learn more. Though I would suggest to the previous poster that by choosing an exposure compensation over an automatic metering choice that itself is a degree of manual.

When you remember that your meter sees everything as 18 percent gray, common sense will tell you that it's overexposing a black wall -- or likely under exposing clear sky while you're tracking a bird etc.

Yes, there may be times when it's ok to let the camera's brain take over, but it's fun to use your own brain too.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
christophorosp
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
In reply to Beau Nash, 7 months ago

Beau Nash wrote:

The choice between 11 and 51 focus points only applies to manual focus point selection. That is, "manual" in the sense of "choose my focus point manually" and not "turn off AF and focus manually".

Sure, im always talking about AF; not Manual focus

In multipoint Dynamic AF configurations, all 51 AF points can (potentially) be used to track a moving subject, even if you've chosen 11 AF points in the Custom Settings.

Agreed, not sure if i  implied anything else.

-- hide signature --

Christophoros
-----
- Homepage -
http://www.cp-imaging.com/
- Social Media -
flickr.com/photos/christophorosp
500px.com/christophorosp
fb.com/cp.img

christophorosp's gear list:christophorosp's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

I personally always choose a single focus point and recompose. So it could have a million focus points and not matter. For rich point and shooters, additional focus point spread the af across a wider field on the screen. So in the dreaded full auto mode it has more leverage to decide what your subject is. Or in 3d mode it has more room to follow.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Rservello
Like?
In reply to Greenduck, 7 months ago

paul2009 wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Paul

The metering is not affect the outcome of your image. In manual mode only you decide how you want the image to look like. However, the metering will still measure the exposure and give info in the viewfinder on how it want you to adjust ISO, aperture or shutter speed. That will be visible in the viewfinder looking at the exposure compensation.

Sadly, the in camera spot meter is typically massively inaccurate. Use an incident meter and experience. I very rarely look at the internal meter.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Rservello
Like?
In reply to SergioSpain, 7 months ago

But to answer your question, metering still matters if you're shooting in manual, just like focus. Even when you shoot manual you're still using the camera's meter to determine the proper exposure and then slightly varying aperture, shutter or something else to achieve a desired effect.

Is this a serious question???? I learned on a Pentax with NOTHING auto. Once you learn to actually use a camera you will never use auto anything. I don't even like auto ISO, since I know what each setting actually does to my photos!

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, 7 months ago

Exposure is set by 91k pixel that actually sees color as well if set in 3d-matrix mode. Exposure metering in Nikon also sees highlight and black. It also incorporate focus point as well as scene recognition to arrive at final exposure in matrix 3D mode. I believe spot & center weighted mode see everything in 18% grey 2 dimensional.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +7 more
caspianm
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 7 months ago

Rservello wrote:

I don't even like auto ISO, since I know what each setting actually does to my photos!

Auto iso has its use when you want to have fixed aperture & shutter speed.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +7 more
Rservello
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 7 months ago

Rservello wrote:

I don't even like auto ISO, since I know what each setting actually does to my photos!

Auto iso has its use when you want to have fixed aperture & shutter speed.

I just adjust my ISO as needed. I know my desired look and shoot for it.

caspianm
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 7 months ago

When you chase a moving subject in varying light auto iso is very effective and only way to get the best result.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads