D800 image overlapping / distorted!

Started 8 months ago | Questions
PaulD1980
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
D800 image overlapping / distorted!
8 months ago

Hi all,

I haven't used my D800 for a few weeks, but tonight i decided to take some photos of my D3100 to sell on E-bay. I was using a tripod and set the speed to 1/1.6 at F14 with auto ISO. On previewing the image, i noticed that the image seems to be overlapped with the same image? The more i increased the speed the better the images were?

What could cause this problem?...do i need to take it to a dealer for repair? 

The lens used was a Nikon VR 18 - 55mm 3.5 - 5.6.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikkk
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 image overlapping / distorted!
In reply to PaulD1980, 8 months ago

Was VR activated on the lens? If so, that could explain it (should be off when camera is on tripod). MUP is also recommended in this case.

Nikkk's gear list:Nikkk's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shmn
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

There is no overlap.  This is camera shake which is causing the image to blur.  You say you are using a tripod...is it solid?  How are you activating the camera?  Are you using mirror lock-up?  Remote release? I think technique is the problem here.

Try the same shot using mirror lock up and a remote release or the timer and let us know.  Make sure the tripod is rock steady.  Don't use an extended center column.

shmn
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to shmn, 8 months ago

And do you really need to be shooting at F18 with a 24mm lens???

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,732Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikkk, 8 months ago

Nikkk wrote:

Was VR activated on the lens? If so, that could explain it (should be off when camera is on tripod). MUP is also recommended in this case.

You most likely have nailed the problem. Both precautions must be used.

In combination with MUP use a remote or delayed actuation.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796Gear list
Like?

Do not use such small aperture. Turn off the VR.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E +8 more
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?

I expect you did not use a remote trigger or wire trigger, did not use a sturdy enough tripod, or did not use the self timer. In other words, your clicking the shutter moved the camera enough to cause issues.

Another suggestion, you don't need to use apertures THAT small for this kind of thing. f/5.6 to f/8 would have served you fine for the most part, if you focus in the right places with the wide-angle shots.

These were my shots that I used when selling off my Sony equipment (Taken with my D700 + Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S). Apparently I shot all of them at f/6.3... Heh. Do not remember that, but oh well.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (18 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
PaulD1980
Like?
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, 8 months ago

Thanks for the comments

I did have VR turned on and i wasn't using MUP or mirror lockup.

I did however use a 5 second shutter delay. I thought this would eliminate any chance of camera shake?

I noticed that the distortion isn't blurred, like you would expect from camera shake / movement. It's looks like two images have been overlapped and are out of alignment?...to me anyway.

I'll give the mirror lock up a try with VR switched off and see what happens.

Thanks,

Paul

Trazan
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?

The first one does indeed look like combined images. You didn't by any chance have "Multiple Exposure" mode turned on?

I can imagine VR acting up during the long expose though.

Trazan's gear list:Trazan's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +1 more
Nikkk
Like?

PaulD1980 wrote:

Thanks for the comments

I did have VR turned on and i wasn't using MUP or mirror lockup.

I did however use a 5 second shutter delay. I thought this would eliminate any chance of camera shake?

I noticed that the distortion isn't blurred, like you would expect from camera shake / movement. It's looks like two images have been overlapped and are out of alignment?...to me anyway.

I'll give the mirror lock up a try with VR switched off and see what happens.

Thanks,

Paul

When you say 5 seconds delay I guess you used the self-timer (menu item c3) and that doesn't help to avoid mirror slap. Try he shutter-delay (item d4) instead and set it to it's maximum of 3 seconds (5s is not possible there and that's why I think you used self-timer). The key here is that the mirror first flips up and then the delay of 3 s is there before the shutter goes up.

But ... the main cause here for the duplicated pictures is the VR function. If this is activated but in "sleep-mode" then it takes some time to move the special VR lens-element from it's resting to it's active position. This can for example be seen in the viewfinder as a small shift in the picture when the release-button is half-pressed. If you don't wait there, i.e you press the button fully down in one step (or use self-timer) then the VR kicks-in in the middle of the exposure and is seen as a shift in the picture if the shutter is ~1/2 s.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
PaulD1980
Like?

I had another go last night but the images seem fine this time round? I tried the same setup as before, when i had the issue, but there was no overlapping this time?

I tried with VR on and off at 1/1.6 @f5.6 and f18 but the images came out ok. Possible my lens playing up? Either way it seems fine now

Thanks for all of your suggestions for possible causes / remedies!

Cheers,

Paul

IainD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199
Like?

I have read that some people have had malfunctions in autofocus and VR if the battery is low.

IainD

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796Gear list
Like?

5 sec delay locks up mirror first then the delay. It takes the picture when 5 sec time expires.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E +8 more
Nikkk
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 8 months ago

caspianm wrote:

5 sec delay locks up mirror first then the delay. It takes the picture when 5 sec time expires.

5 sec delay is only possible by using self-timer and that function does not lock up the mirror before the delay. Only MUP or the exposure-delay function (d4) raise the mirror before in order to avoid vibrations but only 1, 2 or 3 sec delay is possible there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads