Nikon DF, the ultimate in shallow posturing?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Nikon DF, the ultimate in shallow posturing?
11 months ago

Why no manual focus aids? Why?

Dials don't mean crap, AF system is mediocre to boot.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 600D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +1 more
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848
Like?
Re: Nikon DF, the ultimate in shallow posturing?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 11 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

So, vote with your wallet. Simple!

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

The rangefinder/green light works pretty well, and in decent light the screen actually allows for manual focus by eye in my experience.

Thing is, if Nikon had put a split rangefinder/prism screen in it, we would now be inundated with complaints about how it is unusable at f/5.6

I tried my 80-400 AF-S with the F3, which most agree is the nicest viewfinder Nikon ever made. Fact is you couldn't use it much above 300mm wide open, as it blacked out one half.

On the posturing front, I feel a lot less like a poseur with my Df than I do with my D800 round my neck, not that that bothers me of course, but I find it amusing that people associate posing less with a pro looking camera than an amateur looking one.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Df Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +20 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,207Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Speaking of shallow, in the dof sense:

Manual focusing works just fine with the Df, in my experience.  AF system works fine too...

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In reply to RaajS, 11 months ago

RaajS wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Manual focusing works just fine with the Df, in my experience. AF system works fine too...

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

I love it when mere assertion is responded to with fact, and a beautiful one too.  Thanks.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Nikon D1X Nikon D40X Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +11 more
Iliah Borg
Forum ProPosts: 16,336
Like?
Do you own one? -=nt=-
-- hide signature --
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,398Gear list
Like?
Just look at it this way.

On it's worst day of shooting, every single frame taken by the Df will look better in every possible way than your EM5.

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,519
Like?
It's been the ultimate in shallow posting

Happy New Year!

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Thank you for your insightful contribution...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156Gear list
Like?
In reply to philharris, 11 months ago

philharris wrote:

The rangefinder/green light works pretty well, and in decent light the screen actually allows for manual focus by eye in my experience.

Thing is, if Nikon had put a split rangefinder/prism screen in it, we would now be inundated with complaints about how it is unusable at f/5.6

I tried my 80-400 AF-S with the F3, which most agree is the nicest viewfinder Nikon ever made. Fact is you couldn't use it much above 300mm wide open, as it blacked out one half.

On the posturing front, I feel a lot less like a poseur with my Df than I do with my D800 round my neck, not that that bothers me of course, but I find it amusing that people associate posing less with a pro looking camera than an amateur looking one.

Good luck getting a pin point accurate focus with the green light or eyeballing it at f1.4 1/60

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +4 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to RaajS, 11 months ago

RaajS wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Manual focusing works just fine with the Df, in my experience. AF system works fine too...

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Good one Raj!

I also find the Df easy to manually focus.

Baba Bruce

-- hide signature --

Keep the fun real.

Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R +16 more
OfCounsel
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

Not sure what you are trying to express, but if this is typical for you, than you are going to earn another "ignore user" non-follower.

englishfil
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Nikon has explained this. It seems they wanted to keep the viewfinder uncluttered -presumably because market research has shown that users prefer this. As several posts have correctly noted it is not possible to make screen aids, such as microprism collars, that work well across the full range of maximum apertures. Nikon has provided, with many of its DSLRs, the >o< viewfinder focus aid that works quite well for manual focusing and is not tied to the centre of the focusing screen. IMHO if that symbology could somehow be combined with the active focus point, rather than stuck below, then it would be perfect. The Df is a modern DSLR with retro touches, many users will use it mostly in AF and to hamper that functionality by harking back to the FM2 viewfinder would not have been wise.

Dials don't mean crap,

No, they are way of setting values directly and easily assessing how those settings currently stand without reference to the viewfinder or an LCD window. Whether that appeals to you will be down to which cameras you owned previously and whether any of them needed that old fashioned media called film. Personally experience would dictate if I owned a Df I would favour white lettering on black dials, but actually I am now quite used to Nikon's modern interface.

AF system is mediocre to boot.

Not mediocre, just not the best they make; still a long way from mediocre. This is specification choice is down to, probably, size, weight, power and lastly product differentiation - Nikon make a high speed, high performance camera with this sensor and its called the D4s(?). If the Df is aimed mostly at the slower, more considered photographer then blistering AF performance is not a high priority.

Now if you want to catch more fish can I suggest you slow the boat down and use smaller, more attractive bait?

englishfil's gear list:englishfil's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?

Not as shallow as the ubiquitous tourists  with big Canon's,  D800's, 24-70 bazooka's plus lens hood for extra length  that I see getting off just about every tourist bus. These rigs are even too big to pack away and still see them hanging off peoples necks at airports where you cant take photos due to security.. I like to posture in comfort. Df  plus prime fits the bill.  If you find it too hard to manual focus with  the Df you will have worse problems with everything else. Focus  peaking sounds right for you.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Original Post: the ultimate in shallow posturing?

I think it is the post that started this thread that is the ultimate in shallow posturing.

It has become fashionable in certain circles to bash the Df, as if one knows what one is talking about, based on some simplistic criticisms based on specs alone, without having actually owned or used one extensively.

The OP typifies this.  The criticism adds nothing to useful analysis of the camera, and is a simplistic repeat of what others have said, without drawing from any personal experience with the camera.

In other words, it's useless posturing.

dread_tai
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
Re: Original Post: the ultimate in shallow posturing?
In reply to Thoughts R Us, 11 months ago

Thoughts R Us wrote:

I think it is the post that started this thread that is the ultimate in shallow posturing.

It has become fashionable in certain circles to bash the Df, as if one knows what one is talking about, based on some simplistic criticisms based on specs alone, without having actually owned or used one extensively.

The OP typifies this. The criticism adds nothing to useful analysis of the camera, and is a simplistic repeat of what others have said, without drawing from any personal experience with the camera.

In other words, it's useless posturing.

i'm neither pro nor con for the Df.......it's simply a matter of u like what u like for whatever reasons u like. the same can be said for "dislike".

however, if there's anything to be learned from this continued "Df flood of threads", it's certainly

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

i get what u're saying, but IF people would cease even responding to the OP as if it was a sincere/legitimate post, these TROLLS would go away.

this one will likely limit out at 150, just as the poster intended. sorry to have to add my post to the overall number.

dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,207Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 11 months ago

Rservello wrote:

philharris wrote:

On the posturing front, I feel a lot less like a poseur with my Df than I do with my D800 round my neck, not that that bothers me of course1.2, but I find it amusing that people associate posing less with a pro looking camera than an amateur looking one.

Good luck getting a pin point accurate focus with the green light or eyeballing it at f1.4 1/60

I don't know about 1.4 but I can do it at 1.2 all day long.  In the image I posted, I can count the eyelashes.  Shot at 1.2.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

Are there any manual focusing aids that actually work, or are they all just "ballpark" focusing aids?

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D200
eric guzman
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?
troll, N/T
No text.
John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 558
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

In other words... I don't like it so how can anyone else?  Isn't that what you really are saying?  It's your hang-up, not the user of the Df's hangup.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads