How robust is a D800?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
How robust is a D800?
6 months ago

Came accoss this article http://www.bythom.com/photographic-travel/africa/botswana-2013-workshop-blog/the-measure-of-a-safari.html which surprised me because now the left focus issue is sorted it seems to be a very robust body And A google search shows up no such issues.

wondered if anyone here has had any issues?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
soloryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 968Gear list
Like?
Re: How robust is a D800?
In reply to golf1982, 6 months ago

golf1982 wrote:

Came accoss this article http://www.bythom.com/photographic-travel/africa/botswana-2013-workshop-blog/the-measure-of-a-safari.html which surprised me because now the left focus issue is sorted it seems to be a very robust body And A google search shows up no such issues.

No issues after 1.5-years. Built like a tank as far as I'm concerned.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

The D200/300/700 and 800 are all basically the same form factor with improvements in materials and methods along the way. It'll last a long, long time. The issues in the linked article (fell off a car dashboard and broke the LCD and fell with an unnamed 'large' lens and broke the mount) are unfortunate for the owner but don't sound like they're unreasonable. If you're using a telephoto lens the thing is going to hit the ground with a certain amount of force.

-- hide signature --

Wait for the bright flash so I can steal your soul. Smile!

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
golf1982
Like?
In reply to The Andy G, 6 months ago

The Andy G wrote:

The D200/300/700 and 800 are all basically the same form factor with improvements in materials and methods along the way. It'll last a long, long time. The issues in the linked article (fell off a car dashboard and broke the LCD and fell with an unnamed 'large' lens and broke the mount) are unfortunate for the owner but don't sound like they're unreasonable. If you're using a telephoto lens the thing is going to hit the ground with a certain amount of force.

-- hide signature --

Wait for the bright flash so I can steal your soul. Smile!

My thoughts also. The d800, has a substantial frame, as shown in the article. A heavy lens dropped badly will put massive loadings on the camera frame. Thom's conclusions seem based on anecdote.

bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?

I dropped my D700 twice with no damage the 800 once cracked the chassis in two places. This however is totally unscientific so who knows if it means anything other than I need to stop dropping my cameras.

The good news is 10 days in Mellville and my 800 was back to me in brand new condition for $300

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,330
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

No, my D800E is one of the few cameras I've ever dropped. No problems with it.

Note the number of D800 on that trip—13. That is more than double the count for any other model. As others have said, the events that damaged the D800's are likely to damage any camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

okephoto
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to bigconig, 6 months ago

bigconig wrote:

I dropped my D700 twice with no damage the 800 once cracked the chassis in two places. This however is totally unscientific so who knows if it means anything other than I need to stop dropping my cameras.

The good news is 10 days in Mellville and my 800 was back to me in brand new condition for $300

I just sent my D800 in to Nikon Canada after some issues and they have come back with impact damage and the chassis is cracked. I have been told that the camera is toast, buy a new one.
 Funny thing is, to my knowledge the camera has never been dropped or hit and I don't use long lenses.

Do you know if they replaced the chassis in your case?

-- hide signature --

Kevin Oke
Web Site - http://www.kevinokephotography.com
Stock Image Library - http://www.kevinoke.com

rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Not very

I tripped on my front porch and tha D800 took a hit on the wooden stairstep which resulted in a cracked bottom panel just beside the battery door.

On the other hand, once my D300 with lens fell from 1,5 meters onto a wooden indoors floor without anything happening to the camera body.

So I´d say some materials used in the D800 (like the bottom panel) seem quite fragile, even if in my case the cracked panel hasn´t affected the camera operation in any way. Maybe the rubber gasket around the battery door no longer is effective, but I don´t care enough to have it fixed (it´s just a tool).

golf1982
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, 6 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

No, my D800E is one of the few cameras I've ever dropped. No problems with it.

Note the number of D800 on that trip—13. That is more than double the count for any other model. As others have said, the events that damaged the D800's are likely to damage any camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

I suspect that nikon have sold more D800's than previous (pro) bodies, and so total number of any issue will be more even if percentages are really low . Considering the response here this dose not seem to be any worse than any other body.

golf1982
Like?
In reply to okephoto, 6 months ago

okephoto wrote:

bigconig wrote:

I just sent my D800 in to Nikon Canada after some issues and they have come back with impact damage and the chassis is cracked. I have been told that the camera is toast, buy a new one.
Funny thing is, to my knowledge the camera has never been dropped or hit and I don't use long lenses.

Do you know if they replaced the chassis in your case?

-- hide signature --

Kevin Oke
Web Site - http://www.kevinokephotography.com
Stock Image Library - http://www.kevinoke.com

As you know it is not impact damage then the frame must have been defective from the start. Well worth arguing the point.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

Two words. Camera insurance!

There simply has to be a reason for the price difference between the D800 and the D3s/x or D4 bodies. What is under the rubber skin is part of that reason.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

golf1982 wrote:

I haven't had any issues like this with the D800 ~ but I never had with the D7000 either. Then again I've never dropped either camera with a heavy lens attached, and hopefully never will.

There may be something in it though, as I can't see why Thom would make this up. Anyway, I've always suspected the extra "robustness" the D800 is supposed to have over the D610 may be a little over rated. Sure the D800 uses more metal than they do, but we don't hear of many D600 / D610 bodies cracking or breaking. Weather sealing seems to be about the same too.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676Gear list
Like?
In reply to CFynn, 6 months ago

Regardless of what you hear or not D800 is built tougher than D6xx and D4 is better than D800.

None of these cameras are drop proof. Once one is dropped the extent of damage or no damage depends on the circumstance of the accident and lens attached.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +6 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 6 months ago

+1, I totally agree that the d610 is not as sturdy as the d800 and the d800 is not as sturdy as the d4.  Any camera dropped on pavement depending on the situation and attached lens may break.

Larry

golf1982
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 6 months ago

larrywilson wrote:

+1, I totally agree that the d610 is not as sturdy as the d800 and the d800 is not as sturdy as the d4. Any camera dropped on pavement depending on the situation and attached lens may break.

Larry

I think the lack of  response of people suffering issues to this thread indicate there is no issue here. A google search doesn't throw up anything also

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 6 months ago

caspianm wrote:

Regardless of what you hear or not D800 is built tougher than D6xx and D4 is better than D800.

None of these cameras are drop proof. Once one is dropped the extent of damage or no damage depends on the circumstance of the accident and lens attached.

If anyone doubts the underlying toughness of D3/4 series bodies, I recommend visiting this page...!

I'm not sure a D800 would survive that.

mactac
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 6 months ago

I left my D800 with 24-70 lens attached out in the rain overnight by accident.  In the morning, it was completely soaked, but worked perfectly.  Still works great to this day.

Robust?  Yes.

mactac's gear list:mactac's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads