Nikon d800 Princeton

Started 11 months ago | Photos
John1908
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Nikon d800 Princeton
11 months ago

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D800 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John1908
Like?
Re: Nikon d800 Princeton
In reply to John1908, 10 months ago

any thoughts on the pictures?

Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jmiller1948
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?

I'd work on the lens distortion.  It's pretty easy with different plugins for various software platforms.  I use PTLens in Aperture and it's really pretty simple.  I think that especially with buildings where there are a lot of vertical lines the degree of distortion you get with a 24 mm lens is distracting.

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,031Gear list
Like?

The pictures are sharp, are well-exposed and have good colors.

But the composition just does not appeal to me. I kind of like #2 though.

Also if you point your camera up doing architecture photography you should consider correcting the images during post processing as vertical lines converging up may be a distraction.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Full Frame
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Very nice set, composition could be slightly improved. If you want to get out with a group (they just did Princeton) try this.    http://www.meetup.com/PA-NJ-Photo-Tour-Enthusiasts/--

You can also look at their set of photos for Princeton.

http://www.meetup.com/PA-NJ-Photo-Tour-Enthusiasts/photos/18770152/

HDR man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52333300@N05/

Full Frame's gear list:Full Frame's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Try A Different Forum

This is not meant to discourage you, some nice shots, but you may receive a better response in a forum that is dedicated to posting images, such as 'Landscape and Travel'.

The only connection your images have with this gear forum is that they were shot with a D800. Images are allowed in this forum but they are typically used to demonstrate a function or issue, etc., with a camera.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

John1908
Like?
thanks
In reply to Fave Photog, 10 months ago

hey thanks everyone for the comments. now that i look at them more, i see where my composition is indeed flat. i will for sure improve on that.

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817
Like?
Re: Try A Different Forum

Some interesting compositions, especially the verticals.   The D800 has captured some nice range of tones.   Something tells me you are hand holding?   Nothing wrong with that although slower work on the tripod really fine tunes things and ISO 100.  About the keystoning distortion - with all those nice pixels the D800 has, try holding the camera more level, the crop a bunch later to get your composition.

-- hide signature --
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,756Gear list
Like?

I'm not that happy with the composition here, mainly because of the trees in shot which I'm not sure are the subject or not. I'm not with those who say you cannot post pictures without comment in a gear forum, but if you do, try not to replicate the same subject even if you do like both shots. Also, keeping posts to 3 or 4 shots is a good rule as is tying them to the gear you used with some kind of commentary or observation/insight.

That said, it's funny how much the buildings of princeton look like an Oxbridge college (speaking as someone who grew up near Oxford and attended Cambridge University), though I suppose that was the intention!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
John1908
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 10 months ago

Ernie Misner wrote:

Some interesting compositions, especially the verticals. The D800 has captured some nice range of tones. Something tells me you are hand holding? Nothing wrong with that although slower work on the tripod really fine tunes things and ISO 100. About the keystoning distortion - with all those nice pixels the D800 has, try holding the camera more level, the crop a bunch later to get your composition.

-- hide signature --

Ernie, thanks for your thoughts. Yes these were handheld using the tamron 24-70mm vc so i was pretty much okay with camera shake. Regarding the distortion, i tend to use Viewnx 2 and lightroom 5 for my workflow. For whatever reason, distortion is so hard for me to pick out and say "oh my i need to fix that" don't know what it is. Anyway, what's the best way in fixing this? Is there a lens correction that i have to enable?

Thanks for the help

Fave Photog
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 10 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

I'm not with those who say you cannot post pictures without comment in a gear forum, but

"But" what? Oh, I see...you have no issue with people posting images as long as they conform to yourlist of rules. Gotcha! Thanks for the laugh!

if you do, try not to replicate the same subject even if you do like both shots. Also, keeping posts to 3 or 4 shots is a good rule as is tying them to the gear you used with some kind of commentary or observation/insight.

-- hide signature --

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?

John1908 wrote:

any thoughts on the pictures?

Thanks

I suggest using DxO Viewpoint to correct distortion. It is inexpensive and does an excellent job.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,111Gear list
Like?

I think it is a matter of focal length choice. If you are able re-shoot using a 35 mm focal length.

If possible and you you have a lens that covers the initial 24 mm up to at least 70 mm take the same shot at each focal length and you'll see how the perspective will change. If you have to shoot wide with no correct it is best to keep the camera and lens level to the structure.

This can mean using a tall tripod with a cable release to get the camera taller than you into position. In short, don't tilt the camera up or down for architecture IMO.

If your intent is architecture photography correcting with the idea of what a tilt/shift lens can do is ideal.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
sgoldswo
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

I'm not with those who say you cannot post pictures without comment in a gear forum, but

"But" what? Oh, I see...you have no issue with people posting images as long as they conform to yourlist of rules. Gotcha! Thanks for the laugh!

if you do, try not to replicate the same subject even if you do like both shots. Also, keeping posts to 3 or 4 shots is a good rule as is tying them to the gear you used with some kind of commentary or observation/insight.

-- hide signature --

No, I'm trying to suggest some rules of thumb that are less likely to subject the OP to boorish comments. Whether he follows them is up to him.

Thanks for your insightful contribution.

Fave Photog
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 10 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

-- hide signature --

No, I'm trying to suggest some rules of thumb that are less likely to subject the OP to boorish comments.

The ability to discern hypocrisy is not your strong suit, is it?  Don't take it so hard, mkay?

Hey, any time!

-- hide signature --

ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?

Since I live a few miles from the campus, your post interested me. Not knowing your prior photographic experience, a few comments anyway:

1) Wide angle lenses are hard to master and it is difficult to pull off convincing shots with 24MM or even 28MM. I would suggest 50MM to start with. You will get much stronger pictures with 50MM or 85MM or 100MM. For the campus at Princeton, my two favorite focal lengths are 50MM and 90MM. 50MM gives a nice tight frame without losing any context.

2) Related to the point above: don't try to capture "everything" in one shot. That is not the point of using a wide-angle lens anyway. Capture one subject at a time.

3) I am assuming you have very steady hands and can handhold the D800 and get a sharp picture. If not, up the ISO or get a tripod.

Good luck.....

-- hide signature --

R.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Fave Photog
Like?
A Corrected Image

John1908 wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Some interesting compositions, especially the verticals. The D800 has captured some nice range of tones. Something tells me you are hand holding? Nothing wrong with that although slower work on the tripod really fine tunes things and ISO 100. About the keystoning distortion - with all those nice pixels the D800 has, try holding the camera more level, the crop a bunch later to get your composition.

-- hide signature --

Ernie, thanks for your thoughts. Yes these were handheld using the tamron 24-70mm vc so i was pretty much okay with camera shake. Regarding the distortion, i tend to use Viewnx 2 and lightroom 5 for my workflow. For whatever reason, distortion is so hard for me to pick out and say "oh my i need to fix that" don't know what it is. Anyway, what's the best way in fixing this? Is there a lens correction that i have to enable?

Thanks for the help

I quickly did this using CS5 and the Lens Correction filter tool.  Mostly the vertical perspective needed to be adjusted with a little horizontal.

Note how much of the original image is 'lost' in order to straighten the verticals.  So keep that in mind when composing the original shot.

A more affordable image editing program to perform the needed lens corrections is made by DXO.  Google it for their web site.

-- hide signature --

David A. Hamments
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?

John1908 wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the help

I see you're using LR5 - there is a tool that is perfect for this....  the Upright Tool.  Google it and check out some of the fine video tutorials available to learn its use.  It's a new tool for LR5 and one of my favourites!

Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,828
Like?
Some things to think about when composing...

Some things to think about when composing in camera:

1. What is the purpose of the picture? What are you trying sho/say? How effective does the composition do that?

2. Is there a center of interest? Most compositions need one. People want something to focus their attention on. The CofI helps tell the viewer what the image is about. Without it a viewer can feel somewhat lost.

3. Where is the CofI placed in the frame? Is it in a visually comfortable location? People will tell you about the Rule-of-Thirds, but it is often a little off. There are more pleasing geometric rules that have been used since before the Parathion was built. Google: "dynamic symmetry in photography"

A quick rule I was taught for a good placement of the CofI was to visualize a diagonal line from one corner of the frame to another. Then imagine a line from another corner that hits that diagonal at right angles. This gives you four possible CofI locations in the frame. It works best with a frame that has the proportions of a golden rectangle, but the FX frame is close enough. It does not work with a square frame. This is just a starting point, not a hard rule.

Consider whether the CofI draws your attention. Or is your eye distracted by something else? The eye goes to areas of high contrast. If there is something contrasting distracting in the frame, crop it out.

Consider balance. Does it feel comfortably balanced?

Those are some things to start with. Mostly, you can tell if they feel right. You just have to consider them.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

sgoldswo
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

-- hide signature --

No, I'm trying to suggest some rules of thumb that are less likely to subject the OP to boorish comments.

The ability to discern hypocrisy is not your strong suit, is it?  Don't take it so hard, mkay?

Hey, any time!

-- hide signature --

I don't follow you. Please explain?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads