Sunrise over Griffith Observatory

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
KingSpence
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Sunrise over Griffith Observatory
9 months ago

Went out this morning to get a shot behind the Hollywood sign, didn't end up making it thanks to a misleading sign. But I didn't come away empty handed! Got this surreal sunrise shot over Griffith Observatory and DTLA. Really wish I could afford a better telephoto zoom lens, but they're so expensive! Took this with a Tamron 70-300.

Happy New Years everyone!

vbuhay
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise over Griffith Observatory
In reply to KingSpence, 9 months ago

Good capture - I like it! I would like to do that on the next Full moon rise. Any good link on how to get to that location ?

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KingSpence
Like?
In reply to vbuhay, 9 months ago

vbuhay wrote:

Good capture - I like it! I would like to do that on the next Full moon rise. Any good link on how to get to that location ?

Yeah just go to the Griffith Observatory parking lot and opposite from the observatory you'll see a trail head. Can't miss it.

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
In reply to KingSpence, 9 months ago

You definitely get an A+ for getting up to this nice location for sunrise King!   The Tamron performed well at f8 and you sure did get a nice image.  Did you shoot any at f16 to see what the specular highlights might look like with a star effect?  Thanks and Happy New Year!

-- hide signature --
Joe Huckleberry
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
In reply to KingSpence, 8 months ago

Very, very nice

Joe Huckleberry's gear list:Joe Huckleberry's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +7 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731Gear list
Like?
Awesome shot! (nt)
No text.
 user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?

You brought back old memory when I was a young kid (1960s) we rode or pushed our bikes to the top of Mt. Hollywood and then coast down the trails past the Observatory all the way back down to the Greek Theater. Thanks for the memory.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
KingSpence
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 8 months ago
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636Gear list
Like?
Surreal indeed

What a magnificent view and capture!

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

What a great shot!

Wish I'd been there with ya.

BTW - for those that don't know, 'DTLA' = DownTown Los Angeles (California)

Thanks for sharing,

Allen

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,234
Like?
there's a knoll ...
In reply to vbuhay, 8 months ago

... on a direct vector between the observatory and the hollywood sign. it's a rock outcrop that can be reached off the (closed to vehicles) Griffith Observatory road. the knoll is about a 20 minute hike from the cross-roads at the base of the observatory, and IMO one of — if not THE best — place to shoot both sunrises and moonrises.

during the shuttle endeavors fly-by, this knoll presented at least four opportunities, two of them over the observatory, one over the Hollywood sign, and one over downtown LA.

other good places to catch sun/moon rises is atop mt. hollywood, taking the trail the OP describes, or from Mt. Lee, behind the Hollywood sign. the park is open from 05:00 and closes at 22:00. take a headlamp and have some fun.

-- hide signature --

design guy

KingSpence
Like?
Re: there's a knoll ...
In reply to nunatak, 8 months ago

nunatak wrote:

... on a direct vector between the observatory and the hollywood sign. it's a rock outcrop that can be reached off the (closed to vehicles) Griffith Observatory road. the knoll is about a 20 minute hike from the cross-roads at the base of the observatory, and IMO one of — if not THE best — place to shoot both sunrises and moonrises.

during the shuttle endeavors fly-by, this knoll presented at least four opportunities, two of them over the observatory, one over the Hollywood sign, and one over downtown LA.

other good places to catch sun/moon rises is atop mt. hollywood, taking the trail the OP describes, or from Mt. Lee, behind the Hollywood sign. the park is open from 05:00 and closes at 22:00. take a headlamp and have some fun.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Very true. The weather has sucked lately for photography purposes (no clouds!!) but once things get more interesting I'll definitely be back up there.

The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?
Re: there's a knoll ...

Excellent angle and image KingSpence. Nice improvisation on your part. Congrats on getting the shot.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

HollywoodPics
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

Very nice shot of the Observatory and downtown.  If you need any help getting to the top of Mt. Lee please let me know.  I run and hike all over the area - been to the top of the Hollywood Sign at least 500 times.

Happy New Year!

-- hide signature --

GGB

Rolf_52
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

Amazing shot….thanks for sharing

Rolf

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800E Nikon Df
mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?

One of the most beautiful cityscapes I've seen. I also love the play of shadow and light in the foreground.

Happy New Year to you!

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

I didn't notice when first viewing KingSpence's wonderful photo, but there's a bit of activity going on at the observatory even at this (7:00 AM-ish) hour.

I count at least 4 people in the scene and what... 6 vehicles?

Interesting, since the building doesn't even open until 12:00 noon (according to the website).

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Tap0
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

Superb shot. Your hard work has yielded very good results...

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 861
Like?

Lovely image...thanks for sharing.

AztecPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?

Excellent photo!  And don't sweat the equipment.  It's only when you get to specialized needs that it really makes a difference.  The large majority of time it the person behind the camera that makes the difference.

AztecPhotos's gear list:AztecPhotos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads