very glad I got the new 80-400mm G for the D800. Excellent lens.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
exRhodesian
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
very glad I got the new 80-400mm G for the D800. Excellent lens.
9 months ago

Hi,

very glad I traded in my old 80-400mm for the new 'G' series 80-400mm - much sharper & faster focusing. Noise is my main concern shooting Auto mode + Auto iso as, being a 400mm, the speed that the D800 selects is faster than the focal length to avoid camera shake ie. 500-1000 sec plus I generally prefer f8 . So shooting in generally low light as seen in the shots taken below using the lens at 400mm + f8 the Auto iso selected can be 3200asa+ leading to noise in the dark backgrounds as seen here.

The solution I've found with the 80-200mm ED or 80-400mm G on the D800 (using my Manfrotto 075) is to shoot Manual exposure at f8 using 400-1250asa and 1/60-1/250 sec.

These are shots taken in my back yard here in Johannesburg - the Tree Capital of the world.

The 1st 3 shots below were taken with the 80-200mm on "Portrait" mode with the rest taken with the 80-400mm on "Landscape" mode resulting in more vibrant colours. All shots were taken as seen in the 1st pic after which they were individually cropped. The details of the images after cropping is amazing,  The 80-400mm G is definitely worth getting. C & C welcome.

Thanks,

Adrian

D800 + 200mm setting on 80-200mm

D800 + 80-200mm ED cropped image using Portrait mode

D800 + 80-200mm ED cropped image using Portrait mode

D800 + new 80-400mm G - cropped image using Landscape mode

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: very glad I got the new 80-400mm G for the D800. Excellent lens.
In reply to exRhodesian, 9 months ago

So, you're using over $7,000 worth of gear as a point and shoot. Is this normal practice?

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hotphotons
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?

Great pictures!

That one bird with the yellow and red head just looks like a dinosaur.

Do you know if the 80-400 G works with the TC_20EII?

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Loaker
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hotphotons, 9 months ago

The answer to that depends upon which Nikon D-SLR body you’re shooting with. Up until the introduction of the D4, if you used a teleconverter with a NIKKOR lens, you’d lose autofocus capabilities at apertures smaller than f/5.6, be required to use a slow shutter speed or increase the ISO since a fast aperture wasn't possible. Due to these limitations, wildlife and sports photographers wouldn't be able to utilize teleconverters in many instances that required fast shutter speeds.

Newer Nikon cameras, including the D4, D800/D800E, D600 and D7100 allow you to use slower lenses with the teleconverters with the ability to utilize autofocus functionality when stopped down to f/8.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/h7ruielh/using-teleconverters.html?_#!/More-Like-This

Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?

I'm convinced the "dinosaur" bird shots are not that sharp. The brown bird looks sharp as it is probably not moving as much. You need to freeze the bird motion and a shutter speed of less than 1/250 isn't normally enough. You will get too many soft shots. This lens is very sharp at f5.6 so no need to shut down to f8. That helps keep the shutter speed up while maintaining a sensible iso.

Try and include the exif data if you can.

great to see some birds we never see up this way.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Naaahhh...
In reply to exRhodesian, 8 months ago

I gave up waiting for Nikon to come up with a new 80-400 successor and I got a Sigma 150-500 instead and I'm glad I did because the new 80-400 is way too expensive for what it delivers in my humble opinion.

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?

Your a lucky man to have so many cool visitors come visit your yard.They seem to like that same spot on the log....

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
In reply to lickity split, 8 months ago

I think these look great. Definitely make me want this lens. Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to bigconig, 8 months ago

Hi - thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree that one should use minimum of around 1/250sec to freeze the subject but with this being a generally low light area I've been using 1/60-1/100sec. I'll try out more settings at 1/250sec to see and at f5.6 instead of f8. I've never considered using a convertor with the 80-400mm as I would have thought that it would lead to a loss in quality. - Has anyone used a convertor on the 80-400mm with sharp results ? I place bread / fruit on the ground to the left of the log which makes the birds land on the log first then go down to feed. Some of them wait quite a while while others are feedin which enables me to take the shots. Thare are plenty more species that come to feed which I'll try and capture as seen here.

Thanks, Adrian

D800 + 80-400mmG cropped

exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

Hi,
I use my two S3's and two S5's for Weddings, functions ...etc. I much prefer them to the D800 because of their skin tones & DR. I used the old 80-400mm on the S5 and the focusing was so slow, the images unsharp ...etc but that all changed when used on the D800. Even the old 80-400mm produced sharp images when cropped off the D800. I decided to go for the new G series for the D800 and traded in the old 80-400mm. I also got the Nikkor 24-70mm with the D800. Must say I'm glad I did as I feel confident that I've got all the equipment necessary for our Parks here in South Africa .
Thanks,
Adrian

Ruud Wilschut
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?

Nice shots!
The black/brown bird looks like a small chicken

exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to Ruud Wilschut, 8 months ago

That is probably the most common bird you will see in Johannesburg and around South African cities - it is the Indian Minor. One of the noisiest birds to have in the neighbourhood and seen down virtually every urban street.
The colourful birds are the Crested Barbets. Over the years we've had a few of them nest & breed in the garden. I'll try to get shots of the Black-faced Barbet which is also fairly common.
Thanks,
Adrian

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,437
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi - thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree that one should use minimum of around 1/250sec to freeze the subject but with this being a generally low light area I've been using 1/60-1/100sec. I'll try out more settings at 1/250sec to see and at f5.6 instead of f8. I've never considered using a convertor with the 80-400mm as I would have thought that it would lead to a loss in quality. - Has anyone used a convertor on the 80-400mm with sharp results ? I place bread / fruit on the ground to the left of the log which makes the birds land on the log first then go down to feed. Some of them wait quite a while while others are feedin which enables me to take the shots. Thare are plenty more species that come to feed which I'll try and capture as seen here.

Thanks, Adrian

D800 + 80-400mmG cropped

Nice images and great fun to take in your garden.

I agree with others that shutter speed should be higher and as the lens is sharp at f5.6 that would have been enough. The lens doesn't like the 1.4tc imo and won't work with a 2tc on this lens.

Have you considered using flash?

Thanks for posting.

exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to Brandon birder, 8 months ago

Hi,

I have considered flash but prefer to use available light if possible. I may try flash later.

Another possible cause of unsharp / blur shots is the actual movement caused when pressing the shutter release which I am noticing at times while taking the shots . I have both the SC-15 shutter cable as well as a few Phottix Stratos II remote shutters which perhaps I should use to avoid movement while pressing the shutter.

I'll try shooting more at F5.6 but Fullframe has less DOF than DX so wouldn't f5.6 result in insufficient DOF with FX ?

Thanks,

Adrian

WushuMR2
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

Hmm.  Honestly, if you're doing a lot of cropping already, you should probably "downgrade" to a D7000/D7100.  Or even use a Nikon V1, which gives you a 2.7x teleconverter with essentially no optical downsides.  A D800 in crop mode is 15mp, while a D7000 is 16mp and a D7100 24mp plus no AA filter.  It already looks like you don't have enough reach since the bird isn't taking up as much of the frame as I would have though.  Buying a teleconverter costs money and will lower optical quality, whereas going to a DX or CX sensor would actually increase quality overall because it puts more pixels on the target so to speak.  You'd also be putting $1500 back in your pocket.

WushuMR2's gear list:WushuMR2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +3 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
In reply to WushuMR2, 8 months ago

Thanks for sharing the pics and enthusiasm.   Hey guys, do your 80-400's exhibit light falloff?   Wide open especially mine shows a distinct darkening all around the edges, not just the corners.  It is gone by f11 for sure.  It can be a bit ugly at times depending on the image content.  Enabling lens corrections and moving the vignette slider to the right in NX2 does help a lot.  Thanks!  (my 70-200 exhibits vignetting a bit wide open but not so much all around the edges)

-- hide signature --
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 8 months ago

HI,

Thanks for the info    - I haven't noticed , or should I say Checked-out for vignetting. I'll try shots wide open on a bright background as see if there's any sign of vignetting.

Thanks,

Adrian

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?

Thanks, please do for me.

-- hide signature --
exRhodesian
Like?
80-400mm G - no vignetting visible at either 80mm or 400mm setting
In reply to Ernie Misner, 8 months ago

Hi,

just aimed at clear sky and shot at f5.6 either end of the lens   - no sign of vignetting.

What filter(s) do you have on the lens   - maybe anything thick like a polarizer could cause vignetting effects.

Thanks,

Adrian

80mm  f5.6

400mm f5.6

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads