Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
vettenuts
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100
9 months ago

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006).  One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use.  Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kaffina
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100
In reply to vettenuts, 8 months ago

If its the AF zoom from nikon , then you should have no problems at all.  The 7100 is compatible with most Nikon lenses from Ai, Ais , Screw drive AF and the new AF lenses.

kaffina's gear list:kaffina's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006).

All lenses that is compatible with your old camera, is also compatible with D7100.

vettenuts
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

Thanks for the information.  Does that mean the stabilization of the D7100 will work correctly as well?  As you can tell, I am not an expert.  But being able to use my older lenses will allow me to buy the body only plus I got some great shots with my older lenses although the zoom is quite heavy because it is all metal.

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

vettenuts wrote:

Thanks for the information. Does that mean the stabilization of the D7100 will work correctly as well? As you can tell, I am not an expert. But being able to use my older lenses will allow me to buy the body only plus I got some great shots with my older lenses although the zoom is quite heavy because it is all metal.

Stabilization is on the lens, not the body.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
carauction
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,549
Like?

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006). One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use. Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

Do you need 24 megapix? The more pixels, the tougher it will be to produce nice IQ with the older esp slower lenses. I just bought a D7000 with 16 megapix....just a thought.

Mike

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,101Gear list
Like?

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006). One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use. Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

It will work but it might not be your favorite anymore; that's an old design and won't be real sharp on a D7100, which has a smaller sensor than a 35mm film camera.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads