AF method on 70D

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
tomtek1221
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
AF method on 70D
8 months ago

Could you explain to me the four choices that are available in the menu under AF method. I have my 70d set up as back focus button, one shot and single af point. I am thinking I would want to set AF method to Flex zone but which one?

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,660Gear list
Like?
Re: AF method on 70D
In reply to tomtek1221, 8 months ago

tomtek1221 wrote:

Could you explain to me the four choices that are available in the menu under AF method. I have my 70d set up as back focus button, one shot and single af point. I am thinking I would want to set AF method to Flex zone but which one?

The 4 choices (that include Flex zone) you refer are for AF in Live View and Video shooting only.  Choice depends on your subject.  There isn't one "best" selection.  May have situations where manual focus is best.  Not sure I can add any more than what's described for the typical use and shortcomings of each that is given in pp. 233-244 of the 70D instruction manual..

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomtek1221
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to Lemming51, 8 months ago

Thank you.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomtek1221, 7 months ago

tomtek1221 wrote:

Could you explain to me the four choices that are available in the menu under AF method. I have my 70d set up as back focus button, one shot and single af point. I am thinking I would want to set AF method to Flex zone but which one?

I use BB focus too (exclusively).  Have for years.  I set the camera to a single AF point and AI Servo, and have AF disassociated from the shutter button.  Focus can then be locked at any time by lifting your thumb from the button.  Very fast and convenient.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
MMACory
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 7 months ago

You don't have to keep you thumb on the back button to keep the focus locked?  I may have to break down and read the manual.

MMACory's gear list:MMACory's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to MMACory, 7 months ago

MMACory wrote:

You don't have to keep you thumb on the back button to keep the focus locked? I may have to break down and read the manual.

Right.  If you take your thumb off the button, it locks focus at that point.  Subsequent shutter button actuations will not start AF all over again (if you disassociate the shutter button from AF).

I find this an extremely useful feature.  You can even bring your camera down for a while, and then back up to shoot some more and the focus will still be locked at that point.  It also means that you can pre-focus on a particular subject (or a particular distance), then when you want to take a photo later, the lens is already very close to that distance and AF is lightning fast.  Works great with Players or Perched Birds or Events or Kids etc etc.  I couldn't go back to shooting the other way.

Now if you keep your thumb on the button, then the AI Servo will continue to focus, even through a burst (viewfinder AF).  Depending on what the subject is doing, I'll shoot using either or both of these methods.  It becomes second nature very quickly.

Have fun!

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
MMACory
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 7 months ago

Wow.  Very cool.  Might have to try that and thanks.

MMACory's gear list:MMACory's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads