Which camera(s) would you recommend me for wildlife and landscape photography?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
OrganicNature
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Which camera(s) would you recommend me for wildlife and landscape photography?
7 months ago

Hello everybody!

I've been a hobby photographer for about two years and ever since then I've used my beloved Panasonic fz 150 (bridgecamera). It has been a great companion and served me well. Nonetheless, I'm looking for an upgrade and I'm asking for your help/your experience!

I love beeing out in nature and have my camera all the time with me.
Mainly I'am shooting wildlife (especially birds)
and landscape.

What I own:
- Panasonic fz 150

What I am lacking:
- poor image quality
- poor iso
- no fast lense

What I need:
- good iso performance
- super telephoto lense (at least 500mm equivalent)
- wide angle lense for landscapes
- fast lenses
- fast autofocus and at least 5fps
- good picture quality
- weather sealing
- tilt screen (nice to have)
- light and "small" (I often hike several hours; a canon 7d - although an aweseome camera - is too big)

Since I own only a bridgecamera and do not have any additional lenses or other equipment I am not bound
to a cartain brand or system.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Greetings from Switzerland

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302Gear list
Like?
Re: Which camera(s) would you recommend me for wildlife and landscape photography?
In reply to OrganicNature, 7 months ago

Take a look at the PanAsonic FZ200. It is a serious update on your FZ150. a fast f2.8 lens throughout the zoom range and upto 600 mm zoom. Results are great. I have two shots on my wall, measuring 60 x 45 cm and they are pin sharp.

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikonNature
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: Which camera(s) would you recommend me for wildlife and landscape photography?

OrganicNature wrote:

Hello everybody!

I've been a hobby photographer for about two years and ever since then I've used my beloved Panasonic fz 150 (bridgecamera). It has been a great companion and served me well. Nonetheless, I'm looking for an upgrade and I'm asking for your help/your experience!

and landscape.

What I own:
- Panasonic fz 150

What I am lacking:
- poor image quality
- poor iso
- no fast lense

What I need:
- good iso performance
- fast lenses
- good picture quality
- weather sealing
- light and "small" (I often hike several hours; a canon 7d - although an aweseome camera - is too big)

Since I own only a bridgecamera and do not have any additional lenses or other equipment I am not bound

Hmmm... Since you mention the 7D, I assume you are at least considering a DSLR. To get 500mm on a DSLR you are talking big lenses, so the size of the camera body is not much of a factor at that point. The image quality, weather sealing seem to point toward a DSLR, but the size issue sounds like a deal breaker. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting...

I think it would be helpful to know if you are thinking of another bridge camera, mirrorless, or DSLR. Also what kind of budget do you have in mind? This will help us give you more appropriate feedback.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
OrganicNature
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to NikonNature, 7 months ago

NikonNature wrote:

OrganicNature wrote:

Hello everybody!

and landscape.

What I own:
- Panasonic fz 150

What I am lacking:
- poor image quality
- poor iso
- no fast lense

What I need:
- good iso performance
- fast lenses
- good picture quality
- weather sealing

Hmmm... Since you mention the 7D, I assume you are at least considering a DSLR. To get 500mm on a DSLR you are talking big lenses, so the size of the camera body is not much of a factor at that point. The image quality, weather sealing seem to point toward a DSLR, but the size issue sounds like a deal breaker. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting...

I think it would be helpful to know if you are thinking of another bridge camera, mirrorless, or DSLR. Also what kind of budget do you have in mind? This will help us give you more appropriate feedback.

I'm aiming towards a DSLR or an mirrorless camera. I thought about a Pentax K-3 or an Olympus OMD Em 1. The EM 1 seems to be quite interessting but I miss yet a super telephoto lense (olympus might come up with a Pro 300 f4 in 2014). Nonetheless, I'm a bit worry about the weight balance since the Em1 is quite light...

The K-3 on the other hand is double the weight but is still kind of compact (compared to a Canon 7d). It also sells for a reasonable price considering the top specs. I'm just a bit worry about the autofocus... is it as fast as olympus?

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,967
Like?

If you are going for a DSLR or mirrorless, look for high pixel density. The more pixels per mm on the sensor, the better you can crop an image of a distant creature.

For instance, look for a camera with an APS-C sensor and 24 Megapixels, such as the NEX-7 or various DSLRs, rather than 16 MP. If M43, at least 16 MP.

This is one application where the smaller and more numerous the pixels the better.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,653
Like?
In reply to OrganicNature, 6 months ago

OrganicNature wrote:

Hello everybody!

and landscape.

What I own:
- Panasonic fz 150

What I am lacking:
- poor image quality
- poor iso
- no fast lense

What I need:
- good iso performance
- fast lenses
- good picture quality
- weather sealing

the lens (and the budget) makes a big difference.  For wildlife - beginner Canon/Nikon and 400mm lens - around $1,000

BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?

OrganicNature wrote:

Hello everybody!

and landscape.

Since you carry it arround always things might get tough. The affordable and light option would be an Olympus em-5 with an 12-50mm kit(wait till ces las vegas there might be aj new model). And a 75-300mm. That gives you 600mm 24mm wide angle and macro capability. All of that in a small shoulder bag. The em5 is weather sealed as well with the 12-50.

The bad point is lens speed. The 300mm is slow at the long end. While the amazing 5axis ibis does help it does not compensate for movement of the subject.

There are no fast long prime available on m4/3. So if the 300mm fails your out of luck. There are some very good 4/3 primes but they won't focus well on the em-5. They will work fine on the bloody expensive em-1.

Pentax has a faster and better tele lens. It's the DA* 60-250mm f4. I had the pleasure to use it and it is really really good. The problem is reach 250*1.5 is 375mm equiv. There are some 3rd party option beyond that but they are mostly slow at f6.3 at the long end.

Canon and Nikon have an edge here. Both have good 400mm zooms. The canon is much cheaper though. Be aware that carrying one of these beasts the whole day is quiet a burden.

Then there is 1 option very close to what you have. The fz200. It has 600mm and it's a constant f2.8. That really helps to keep the iso down. The sensor is probably similar to what you have but 4 times more light at the long end can really make a difference.

Bottom line is you must make a compromise. You can get your entire list with the m4/3 apart from fast long lenses. You can get fast lenses with DSLRs but that will become a very heavy package. BTW don't go for the 7d. The 60d is cheaper and lighter with the same image quality.

What I own:
- Panasonic fz 150

What I am lacking:
- poor image quality
- poor iso
- no fast lense

What I need:
- good iso performance
- fast lenses
- good picture quality
- weather sealing

WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
Don't muck around, get a Nikon.

OrganicNature wrote:

Hello everybody!

Mainly I'am shooting wildlife (especially birds) and landscape.

What I need:
- good iso performance
- super telephoto lens (at least 500mm equivalent)
- wide angle lens for landscapes
- fast lenses
- good picture quality
- weather sealing
- light and "small" (I often hike several hours; a canon 7d - although an awesome camera - is too big).

Since you already have a "bridge" camera, why not "cross over" and get a DSLR? While the FZ200 is supposed to be a fine camera, I doubt wether it will fulfill many of your listed requirements. I have an older FZ20 which has served me well, so I suppose the FZ200 is like a FZ20 on steroids. Interesting camera, but hardly up to wildlife photography, particularly BIF.

The Nikon 7100 meets most of the requirements listed above, and there are many lenses available for the applications mentioned. There's a good range of 3rd-party lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc.). Many prefer the higher pixel count of the Nikon range. Sophisticated AF system.

Tilt screen unlikely to be useful, but some models of the Nikon range have these.

"Light" and "Small" are incompatible with good image quality.

Budget: Nikon 7100 plus Wide, Medium and Long zooms would be about $3500 US. How keen are you?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads