The future for Fuji cameras

Started Dec 31, 2013 | Discussions
mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
The future for Fuji cameras
Dec 31, 2013

Not trying to troll...

But given the recent sales reports over at fuji rumors, does anyone else worry about the potential for Fuji to throw in the towel and abandon this venture?

Having only sold 700,000...seems really low.

I love my x100s and x-e2, but I'm worried that if they continue to not make money they'll withdraw.

It's a tough market to crack, and I hope they fair better in 2014.

Thoughts?

IKB
IKB
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: The future for Fuji cameras
In reply to mooshoepork, Dec 31, 2013

It's not rankings that matters, it is profitability. If Fujifilm can make money, then why abandon these products?

Are they on track? Only they know, in the meantime enjoy the products.

-- hide signature --

Malcy
----------------

IKB's gear list:IKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

Not trying to troll...

But given the recent sales reports over at fuji rumors, does anyone else worry about the potential for Fuji to throw in the towel and abandon this venture?

Even if Fujifilm throws in the towel ( i dont think that will happen yet), your camera wont stop working.

Having only sold 700,000...seems really low.

700,000 over several years is REALLY low.

I love my x100s and x-e2, but I'm worried that if they continue to not make money they'll withdraw.

It's happened before, when Fujifilm abandoned the SLR market.  However, they stuck with that for 4 generations before they gave up.  It is far too soon for Fujifilm to give up.

It's a tough market to crack, and I hope they fair better in 2014.

What Fujifilm needs is for the world economy to start doing better.  People do not have the spare cash that they used to.

Thoughts?

See above.

Maximus176
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?

I don't think you should just look at camera sales, given the amount of money I have spent on lenses and a body  I think Fuji are going in the right direction of producing a true system camera.  The small compact market is being killed off by the smartphone.

Fuji have in my view pioneered the retro styled camera, guess what surprised everyone was how good the X system proved to be in image delivery.They have given photographers a camera without the huge amount of automation the dslr has. So you have to think a little more about your shot, rather than let the machine do it.

Too many things today are being dumbed down, where there is little human interaction, Fuji should keep to a path of purity rather than gimmickry in its camera evolution. It has served Leica well, so Fuji should in my view keep delivering the product that is niche, and market it and price it as such.

-- hide signature --

if wishes were horses beggers would ride
http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com/blog

Maximus176's gear list:Maximus176's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to IKB, Dec 31, 2013

IKB wrote:

It's not rankings that matters, it is profitability. If Fujifilm can make money, then why abandon these products?

Have you seen Fujifilm's financials?  There is no profitability at all in their camera division.  Nothing but losses.

Are they on track?

No, they are going backwards.  Losses increased by 260% last quarter, year on year.

Only they know,

No, we do, as the documents are public.

in the meantime enjoy the products.

Absolutely.

-- hide signature --

Malcy
----------------

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to Maximus176, Dec 31, 2013

Maximus176 wrote:

I don't think you should just look at camera sales, given the amount of money I have spent on lenses and a body I think Fuji are going in the right direction of producing a true system camera. The small compact market is being killed off by the smartphone.

I agree with everything you said except one bit.  ALL camera sales are down.  Compacts are just down harder.  Then comes mirrorless and then DSLR's.  The overall market is shrinking and has been for some time.  This is Fujifilm's problem, less customers.

Fuji have in my view pioneered the retro styled camera, guess what surprised everyone was how good the X system proved to be in image delivery.They have given photographers a camera without the huge amount of automation the dslr has. So you have to think a little more about your shot, rather than let the machine do it.

Too many things today are being dumbed down, where there is little human interaction, Fuji should keep to a path of purity rather than gimmickry in its camera evolution. It has served Leica well, so Fuji should in my view keep delivering the product that is niche, and market it and price it as such.

-- hide signature --

if wishes were horses beggers would ride
http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com/blog

mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, Dec 31, 2013

IKB wrote:

Have you seen Fujifilm's financials?  There is no profitability at all in their camera division.  Nothing but losses.

Are they on track?

No, they are going backwards.  Losses increased by 260% last quarter, year on year.

Only they know,

No, we do, as the documents are public.

in the meantime enjoy the products.

Absolutely.

-- hide signature --

Malcy
----------------

Was going to reply with this!

Their p&l and balance sheets are available on their website.

It's not about whether or not they make a good product (I think they do...)

It's about whether or not enough other people do. We're definitely a niche market...and it frustrates me sometimes. I think they deserve to do well. Canon just recycle the same sensor every year.

Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,929Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

ALL camera sales are down. Compacts are just down harder. Then comes mirrorless and then DSLR's. The overall market is shrinking and has been for some time. This is Fujifilm's problem, less customers.

True, and it is not just Fuji. Nikon is in real trouble for example. Canon I don't know but they apparently have forgotten what "innovation" is since very long. Nikon as well. Just the same old sauce since years and years.

The "general (mass) public" is relatively slow to react, roughly 4-5 years behind the important trends in their buying habits. Right now dSLRs are still the most frequent cameras in the streets (apart from cell phones of course), it will take another 2-3 years before the mass market realizes that lighter and more compact is better in most cases. Then CaNikon will be in deep trouble and SLR sales will drop like a rock.

I haven't used a DSLR in almost a year. ALso have sold all my DSLRs but my old S3/S5pro. I keep them because selling them hardly would make me any money.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

It's a good question. Only time will tell really.

As someone with money to burn on a new camera + lenses, I've spent months looking into various systems and have tried most of them including the X-E2 (I have an X100 and X100s).

The problem Fuji has is that it's a compromise between the two systems, so it doesn't excel in any single area.

Want a small systems? m43

Want best IQ? FF

Want best features? m43

Best video? m43

Best high ISO performance? FF

Best DOF control? FF

Usability? Fuji X

For many shooters one or more of these reasons will be why they select one of the above. And for those who are happy to compromise, a DSLR is better than the Fuji X if you do not care for retro styling / controls.

The number of problems with Auto Focus and RAW handling has also been a major, major roadblock to sales. I know several pro's who would love to switch to Fuji for weddings & events, but they continued issues with RAW means they won't, and people are running out of patience.

Fuji need to address those issues, and if they can, sales will surely pick up - especially with an SLR styled body on the horizon.

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to Bernie Ess, Dec 31, 2013

Bernie Ess wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

ALL camera sales are down. Compacts are just down harder. Then comes mirrorless and then DSLR's. The overall market is shrinking and has been for some time. This is Fujifilm's problem, less customers.

True, and it is not just Fuji. Nikon is in real trouble for example. Canon I don't know but they apparently have forgotten what "innovation" is since very long. Nikon as well. Just the same old sauce since years and years.

The "general (mass) public" is relatively slow to react, roughly 4-5 years behind the important trends in their buying habits. Right now dSLRs are still the most frequent cameras in the streets (apart from cell phones of course), it will take another 2-3 years before the mass market realizes that lighter and more compact is better in most cases.

Then CaNikon will be in deep trouble and SLR sales will drop like a rock.

Demonstrably false.  The Canon M mirrorless camera has a staggering 10% market share in Japan. Fujifilm has less than 2%. The various Nikons have 6% market share. I dont suggest that these cameras are better than the X cameras, but it just goes to show you that success is defined well beyond what is considered good here in this forum. CaNikon has ENORMOUS distribution and marketing power. Waaaay beyond what Fujifilm can offer.  How else can CaNikon go from zero percent mirrorless market share to way beyond what Fujifilm can possibly hope to achieve so quickly?  How long has the M and Nikon mirrorless cameras been out?  2 years?

I haven't used a DSLR in almost a year. ALso have sold all my DSLRs but my old S3/S5pro. I keep them because selling them hardly would make me any money.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

ZTJ
ZTJ
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?

I share a similar concern. However, I do believe I'll stick with it at least another year. The upcoming lenses for this year complete what I want for a minimum system (specifically, 10-24/4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 55-200) and probably more. So at least I don't feel I have to worry about them dumping the market (again) before providing a competent system for me.

But, in the long term, it's highly questionable. It's also very curious as to why they haven't done well. I have to guess it is marketing. I have seen NEX, Olympus, and all the other more successful brands marketed all over, even regular tv. I have never once seen any Fuji adverts anywhere outside of photography sites and even that is rare. Who even knows about this? Early adopters and gear obsessors and that's about it.

I only have minor wishes for Fuji to change certain things and I have no reason to believe it would make any difference in their success, but, I wish they would ditch this X-trans sensor. Between false detail (not much of a tradeoff for false color) and a nightmare of randomness across RAW processors, it hasn't been very impressive to me. As a big part of my photography is landscape, the goofy loss of detail in foliage is glaring. I can usually overlook it and just print a little smaller, but, still, it's an annoying limit. I would really rather they use a proven sensor such as whatever is in the D7100 or NEX-7 with higher resolution and still very good normalized noise performance. Even a 20mp sensor would be a help, particularly if it was standard bayer.

And if they can come up with something even better, then more power to them, but, I think that overall the X-trans produces generally blurrier images (by nature of 3x3 color arrays as well as the green "blocks" in those semi-random arrays) and frankly, many photographers pick up on this when they have no devotion to the brand. They probably attribute it to lenses or inaccurate AF or some other nonsense.

I love the Fuji lens creed. No other 23/1.4 exists for APS-C. The lenses available really do make it hard to justify Sony's new A7/A7R offering as sweet as it seems. I had an A7 for a few weeks but couldn't get past how prone it was to posterization and magenta "staining" versus other cameras. Sure all cameras can do it but it seemed worse on the A7, probably related to the massive vignetting on all the native or other short register lenses, I guess. No idea. Just got sick of having to address it in post so much.

I've been through a number of systems and seen many pros and cons of each, APS-C, full frame, Micro Four Thirds. Overall, despite my complaints about the sensor, I feel Fuji has hit the best middle ground compromise for an overall system. Sure, there's no native 35/1.4 equivalent, but 35/2 is pretty good! Good enough for the wonderful RX1 which I also owned. I really like the 23/1.4.

I think in general, the system has a lot going for it. There are some issues, though. Besides the sensor (which is going to be a matter of opinion most of the time, as with many things), we have very noise prime lenses. The 23/1.4 sounds like the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D on a full frame camera. Though the noise there is coming from the screwdrive, whereas the noise in the 23/1.4 is coming from the lens. It's crazy. It does give the impression of being poorly made or outdated even though AF performance seems fine for APS-C mirrorless. I'm shooting on the X-E2 btw.

I also think the retro look is a terrible idea and only appeals to a very small subset of buyers. Obviously, some hint of retro is interesting, but, the best selling cameras right now all look modern in their respective markets. Fuji cameras and lenses are simply ugly when you ignore the nostalgia. This could have some impact on sales, obviously. I personally don't care that much and can look past plastic fake leather and lenses with aesthetics reminiscent of some kind of stack of industrial pipe fittings.

I don't want to sound too negative. I *DO* like the cameras. I've been shooting Fuji for almost one whole year now, and as an obsessive system switcher, that's a pretty big deal. I would love to know that a more complete total system offering is on the horizon. I look forward to the announcements expected at CES. I *REALLY* hope that there is a longer lens on the roadmap. I want to do some wildlife photography and I need 400mm or more. I don't want to use another system just for that if I can help it.

That said, depending on what's announced, I may be tempted to pull the plug and jump back to DSLRs. I've been really tempted by a D7100 + Sigma 18-35/1.8, 50/1.4, and Tamron 150-600 combination. But, I am trying to convince myself to stick around long enough to own, use, and enjoy the Fuji 56/1.2 coming eventually...

Well, that was a hell of a ramble. Long point made short: I see, through a haze, that Fuji has the best APS-C system in the oven. It's not obvious to general consumers. It isn't marketed in any meaningful way. It has some annoying warts that impact some shooters. It doesn't fulfill all general needs and can simply not be considered for a single full coverage system. All sorts of problems stand in Fuji's way. I just hope they see this system as a long term investment. They'll probably need another 3-4 years before they can attract many system switchers.

They have to appeal to someone besides bloggers and gearheads.

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,711Gear list
Like?

I feel that they should be doing better than they are; perhaps they need to capitalise on the most common response from new X system users: "Fuji put the fun back into photography". Their ad people can use that alliterative line and make it theirs, it's no lie.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, Dec 31, 2013

57LowRider wrote:

I feel that they should be doing better than they are; perhaps they need to capitalise on the most common response from new X system users: "Fuji put the fun back into photography". Their ad people can use that alliterative line and make it theirs, it's no lie.

Fujifilm advertises??

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to ZTJ, Dec 31, 2013

ZTJ wrote:

I share a similar concern. However, I do believe I'll stick with it at least another year. The upcoming lenses for this year complete what I want for a minimum system (specifically, 10-24/4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 55-200) and probably more. So at least I don't feel I have to worry about them dumping the market (again) before providing a competent system for me.

But, in the long term, it's highly questionable. It's also very curious as to why they haven't done well. I have to guess it is marketing. I have seen NEX, Olympus, and all the other more successful brands marketed all over, even regular tv. I have never once seen any Fuji adverts anywhere outside of photography sites and even that is rare. Who even knows about this? Early adopters and gear obsessors and that's about it.

I too rarely ever see any Fujifilm adverts.  In Hong Kong, you can see an almost unlimited number of signs for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and even Olympus.  Fujifilm?  Almost nonexistent.  It is a real shame that they do not try to get their name out there.

During my recent trip to Japan, I looked for Fujifilm ads and again, came up virtually empty.  What was more depressing was going to Fujifilm's corporate headquarters.  There I visited a large exhibt that they have built, showing the history of photography, the history of Fujifilm, ALL of their current cameras on display, as well as a nice photography art exhibit.  In downtown Tokyo, a city of 35 million people, at 1pm I was the ONLY person in the whole place.  I could NOT understand that.  Go to a Sony and Nikon store and they are packed with people.  Fujifilm's store was like a library.

I only have minor wishes for Fuji to change certain things and I have no reason to believe it would make any difference in their success, but, I wish they would ditch this X-trans sensor.

I agree with you.  The X Trans sensor is what kept me from buying their recent line of cameras.  I would like to upgrade my X100, but not if it comes with an X Trans sensor.  I will hold off until Fujifilm moves onto something else (they always do).

Between false detail (not much of a tradeoff for false color) and a nightmare of randomness across RAW processors, it hasn't been very impressive to me. As a big part of my photography is landscape, the goofy loss of detail in foliage is glaring. I can usually overlook it and just print a little smaller, but, still, it's an annoying limit. I would really rather they use a proven sensor such as whatever is in the D7100 or NEX-7 with higher resolution and still very good normalized noise performance. Even a 20mp sensor would be a help, particularly if it was standard bayer.

And if they can come up with something even better, then more power to them, but, I think that overall the X-trans produces generally blurrier images (by nature of 3x3 color arrays as well as the green "blocks" in those semi-random arrays) and frankly, many photographers pick up on this when they have no devotion to the brand. They probably attribute it to lenses or inaccurate AF or some other nonsense.

I love the Fuji lens creed. No other 23/1.4 exists for APS-C. The lenses available really do make it hard to justify Sony's new A7/A7R offering as sweet as it seems. I had an A7 for a few weeks but couldn't get past how prone it was to posterization and magenta "staining" versus other cameras. Sure all cameras can do it but it seemed worse on the A7, probably related to the massive vignetting on all the native or other short register lenses, I guess. No idea. Just got sick of having to address it in post so much.

The A7's shutter volume is horrific.  I lost interest in that camera real fast once i heard how loud it was.

I've been through a number of systems and seen many pros and cons of each, APS-C, full frame, Micro Four Thirds. Overall, despite my complaints about the sensor, I feel Fuji has hit the best middle ground compromise for an overall system. Sure, there's no native 35/1.4 equivalent, but 35/2 is pretty good! Good enough for the wonderful RX1 which I also owned. I really like the 23/1.4.

I think in general, the system has a lot going for it. There are some issues, though. Besides the sensor (which is going to be a matter of opinion most of the time, as with many things), we have very noise prime lenses. The 23/1.4 sounds like the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D on a full frame camera. Though the noise there is coming from the screwdrive, whereas the noise in the 23/1.4 is coming from the lens. It's crazy. It does give the impression of being poorly made or outdated even though AF performance seems fine for APS-C mirrorless. I'm shooting on the X-E2 btw.

I have not heard the 23mm lens, but the 35mm and 60mm lenses have AF motors sourced straight out of the 1980's.  Coming from Canon's USM lenses, Fujifilm's AF motors are extremely primitive.

I also think the retro look is a terrible idea and only appeals to a very small subset of buyers.

I'm not sure that is true.

Obviously, some hint of retro is interesting, but, the best selling cameras right now all look modern in their respective markets.

Fuji cameras and lenses are simply ugly when you ignore the nostalgia.

Now I really disagree.

This could have some impact on sales, obviously. I personally don't care that much and can look past plastic fake leather and lenses with aesthetics reminiscent of some kind of stack of industrial pipe fittings.

I don't want to sound too negative. I *DO* like the cameras. I've been shooting Fuji for almost one whole year now, and as an obsessive system switcher, that's a pretty big deal. I would love to know that a more complete total system offering is on the horizon. I look forward to the announcements expected at CES. I *REALLY* hope that there is a longer lens on the roadmap. I want to do some wildlife photography and I need 400mm or more. I don't want to use another system just for that if I can help it.

That said, depending on what's announced, I may be tempted to pull the plug and jump back to DSLRs. I've been really tempted by a D7100 + Sigma 18-35/1.8, 50/1.4, and Tamron 150-600 combination. But, I am trying to convince myself to stick around long enough to own, use, and enjoy the Fuji 56/1.2 coming eventually...

Well, that was a hell of a ramble. Long point made short: I see, through a haze, that Fuji has the best APS-C system in the oven. It's not obvious to general consumers. It isn't marketed in any meaningful way. It has some annoying warts that impact some shooters. It doesn't fulfill all general needs and can simply not be considered for a single full coverage system. All sorts of problems stand in Fuji's way. I just hope they see this system as a long term investment. They'll probably need another 3-4 years before they can attract many system switchers.

They have to appeal to someone besides bloggers and gearheads.

justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, Dec 31, 2013

stimpy wrote:

It's a good question. Only time will tell really.

As someone with money to burn on a new camera + lenses, I've spent months looking into various systems and have tried most of them including the X-E2 (I have an X100 and X100s).

The problem Fuji has is that it's a compromise between the two systems, so it doesn't excel in any single area.

Want a small systems? m43

Want best IQ? FF

Want best features? m43

Best video? m43

Best high ISO performance? FF

Best DOF control? FF

Usability? Fuji X

For many shooters one or more of these reasons will be why they select one of the above. And for those who are happy to compromise, a DSLR is better than the Fuji X if you do not care for retro styling / controls.

The number of problems with Auto Focus and RAW handling has also been a major, major roadblock to sales. I know several pro's who would love to switch to Fuji for weddings & events, but they continued issues with RAW means they won't, and people are running out of patience.

Fuji need to address those issues, and if they can, sales will surely pick up - especially with an SLR styled body on the horizon.

Any product is a compromise. As Image quality is not far off FF 35mm and good enough for me I use Fuji most of time as it is the best compromise. Yes I could use D800, but for general photography I don't need the weather resistance/AF speed/Long lens (400mm) and I lose weight/size. That said Fuji X still needs improvements: weather resistance, flash, processor speed (for faster CDAF) and better PDAF (more AF points/cross type/better EV).

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
Re: The future for Fuji cameras is with Bayer?
In reply to Maximus176, Dec 31, 2013

Maximus176 wrote:

I think Fuji are going in the right direction of producing a true system camera. The small compact market is being killed off by the smartphone.

I believe you are correct about the smartphone killing the compact market.

I believe you are correct about Fujifilm going in the right direction by producing their own system cameras. While people may be reluctant to abandon their current investment in other lenses, Fujifilm will make money from lenses if they can get people to switch systems.

However I do wonder if Fujifilm would sell more cameras if they offered a Bayer alternative to the X Trans on all their cameras, not just the X-A1.

The X-M1 and X-A1 provide a direct comparison between the 2 and a benchmark for the relative merits and demerits. But this doesn't seem to be making the photographic headlines as might be expected, apart from in niche interest groups.

It is a very niche market that believes X Trans is better. There could be many that are put off by the quirky X Trans concept.

The lack of mainstream software commitment (LR) to leverage the full potential of X-Trans RAW as something that exceeds SOOC jpegs is a concern, wonderful as these jpegs are. Things may be better than they were at the outset but people want to use their hard earned cash to the best advantage. Not be beta testers.

So long as Fujifilm is seen as 'alternative' they will never be mainstream. I see them as stuck somewhere between being wannabe 'Pro' but not sufficiently meriting the title, and too expensive for the mass market.

The question is whether can ever gain enough reputation in either to be profitable in future.

Or perhaps they foresee the death of the small compact market and the collapse of the Pro market for all but a few players, which means they will be strategically positioned for the enthusiast market that will survive these.

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.co.uk

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,711Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

Fujifilm advertises??

There's the problem. When I was considering a new "proper" camera last year, it was a photo-geek who knew I was looking at Leica (and choking on the price list) who suggested Fuji to me, else I would have missed them out altogether. It turned out to be serendipitous and I feel somewhat blessed. An awful lot of people don't know what they're missing.

They should really target the "old farts with a bit of spare lolly" market, at least, those of us who loved aperture rings and shutter dials of old. Maybe time for another age demographic poll.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to noyo, Dec 31, 2013

noyo wrote:

Maximus176 wrote:

I think Fuji are going in the right direction of producing a true system camera. The small compact market is being killed off by the smartphone.

I believe you are correct about the smartphone killing the compact market.

I believe you are correct about Fujifilm going in the right direction by producing their own system cameras. While people may be reluctant to abandon their current investment in other lenses, Fujifilm will make money from lenses if they can get people to switch systems.

However I do wonder if Fujifilm would sell more cameras if they offered a Bayer alternative to the X Trans on all their cameras, not just the X-A1.

I would certainly be interested in an X Pro 1 type camera if they ditched the X Trans.  Or even an X100, with the Sony sensor that Nikon has in their D600.   I would probably be unable to restrain myself if they made a move like that.

The X-M1 and X-A1 provide a direct comparison between the 2 and a benchmark for the relative merits and demerits. But this doesn't seem to be making the photographic headlines as might be expected, apart from in niche interest groups.

It is a very niche market that believes X Trans is better. There could be many that are put off by the quirky X Trans concept.

The lack of mainstream software commitment (LR) to leverage the full potential of X-Trans RAW as something that exceeds SOOC jpegs is a concern, wonderful as these jpegs are. Things may be better than they were at the outset but people want to use their hard earned cash to the best advantage. Not be beta testers.

So long as Fujifilm is seen as 'alternative' they will never be mainstream. I see them as stuck somewhere between being wannabe 'Pro' but not sufficiently meriting the title, and too expensive for the mass market.

The question is whether can ever gain enough reputation in either to be profitable in future.

Or perhaps they foresee the death of the small compact market and the collapse of the Pro market for all but a few players, which means they will be strategically positioned for the enthusiast market that will survive these.

But without compact sales, Fujifilm cameras will be quite a bit more expensive.  There's a lot of efficiency in large volume.

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.co.uk

justinwonnacott
Contributing MemberPosts: 548
Like?

I will not purchase another fuji that has an xtrans sensor. Otherwise... i am a potential customer.

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?

This is an interesting New York Times article: only Nikon, Canon, and Sony will survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/12/29/business/29reuters-japan-cameras.html?_r=0

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads