Rumors about the new Fuji in 2014: Retro style rulz

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
RedBR
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Rumors about the new Fuji in 2014: Retro style rulz
10 months ago

I think you already read the rumors about a new Fuji weather sealed mirrorless camera that could look like Fujica ST.

Not only Fuji but Olympus and lately Nikon (with DF) follows this retro-styled trend.

I think that we will see more and more old style cameras on the market http://mirrorlessblog.com/retro-mirrorless-cameras-2014/

How important is for you the design of the camera? Were you convinced to buy a camera by the look of it? I love the look of Fuji mirrorless cameras.

Thanks.

Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?
Re: Rumors about the new Fuji in 2014: Retro style rulz
In reply to RedBR, 10 months ago

I just bought an X-E1. In order, my priority was a company presence in Mexico, APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, lightweight.

I've had Pentax DSLR cameras since the IstD, 2003, but a minor problem with my current K-10 would have required shipment to the U.S. for repair. Because of shipping and taxes, that's not possible for me. Pentax refused to send the part and written instructions for replacement. So, I looked for a company that would service their product in Mexico.

I like my X-E1. i've been happy with the photos. I've been amused at people who think I'm shooting film.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?

RedBR wrote:

I think you already read the rumors about a new Fuji weather sealed mirrorless camera that could look like Fujica ST.

Not only Fuji but Olympus and lately Nikon (with DF) follows this retro-styled trend.

I think that we will see more and more old style cameras on the market http://mirrorlessblog.com/retro-mirrorless-cameras-2014/

How important is for you the design of the camera? Were you convinced to buy a camera by the look of it? I love the look of Fuji mirrorless cameras.

Thanks.

There's a combination of factors that go into my decision wether or not to purchase a camera, but looks does come into play. The looks of the X100 are what caught my attention before release, but it was the features that reeled me in.

RedBR
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 10 months ago

The retro design of Fuji caught my attention too and it was like love at first sight. Of course specifications were important too but the way the camera looks and feels is important for me too. It contributes to a better photographic experience... Maybe it sounds silly...

Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108Gear list
Like?

I very much like the look and handling of the XP-1 because it reminds me of the old rangefinder Leicas I learned on back in the 1960's.  Much more than that, I like the analog controls and the compact, light camera with interchangeable lenses and superb IQ.  I don't like the slow focus.

A weather-sealed body would be wonderful - my cameras are used in lots of nasty conditions.  A much quicker autofocus would be even better!  I really hope Fuji sticks with "retro" at least in retaining both the analog controls and the compact rangefinder shape in its next generation.  I sure hope Fuji does NOT make its next mirrorless camera body in an SLR style, because I don't know of any mechanical or ergonomic reason to add a big lumpy hump on top of a camera that does not need to house a flapping mirror or its related pentaprism.

If Fuji comes out with a new generation of X mount camera with weather-sealing and quick autofocus dressed up as a faux-SLR, I will likely buy it even though I would hate its appearance and probably its handling as well.  So, I guess, at the end of the day, appearance is secondary to performance for me.  Now, give me a compact rangefinder style camera with weather-sealing and fast autofocus and I'm a very happy customer.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Retro is more than looks

While I do like the look, I like the function. A shutter dial, aperture ring on the lens, these are functional items that work the way the cameras I grew up with worked. Fuji has struck a balance between modern digital functionality and tactile controls.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?
Re: Retro is more than looks
In reply to dark13star, 10 months ago

dark13star wrote:

While I do like the look, I like the function. A shutter dial, aperture ring on the lens, these are functional items that work the way the cameras I grew up with worked. Fuji has struck a balance between modern digital functionality and tactile controls.

Rich

-- hide signature --

Yes.

On top, it's off center placed vf leaves just a part of your face covered. You as your subjects benefit from it because you simply see more around you and your subjects (expecting them to be human) are more at ease.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
In reply to Limburger, 10 months ago

Limburger wrote:

Yes.

On top, it's off center placed vf leaves just a part of your face covered. You as your subjects benefit from it because you simply see more around you and your subjects (expecting them to be human) are more at ease.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Well, and for those of use with rather large noses, it's nice to be able to hold the camera to one eye without mashing my nose against the screen

-- hide signature --

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?
In reply to dark13star, 10 months ago

dark13star wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Yes.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Well, and for those of use with rather large noses, it's nice to be able to hold the camera to one eye without mashing my nose against the screen

-- hide signature --

Ah, that's why they did that

You see that retro is ergo

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
MostlyUnoriginal
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to Limburger, 10 months ago

Limburger wrote:

dark13star wrote:

Rich

-- hide signature --

Yes.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Except for those of us that are left eye-dominant

-- hide signature --
 MostlyUnoriginal's gear list:MostlyUnoriginal's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147Gear list
Like?

I purchased the X100 2 years ago based on a picture I saw of it in a photo magazine.  I didn't know anything about the camera other than the look of it and knew I had to have it!  The X-E2 I just bought was based more on its capabilities although I still love the retro look of it!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,713Gear list
Like?

To me the following things are critical in a camera (not talking about picture quality and af)

1) ergonomics: does it have enough physical buttons/switches to quickly change settings?

2) does it have an adequate grip for me to use it with lenses I plan to use it with

3) does it have viewfinder?

4) built-in flash is a plus for fill-in

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
RedBR
Like?
In reply to Absolutic, 10 months ago

Absolutic wrote:

To me the following things are critical in a camera (not talking about picture quality and af)

1) ergonomics: does it have enough physical buttons/switches to quickly change settings?

2) does it have an adequate grip for me to use it with lenses I plan to use it with

3) does it have viewfinder?

4) built-in flash is a plus for fill-in

1. True, and fuji has the aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation dedicated wheels.

2. The grip is not fantastic but there are solutions,

3. Fuji (x-pro/x-e2,1 x100/s) yes! optical or digital

4. Fuji: yes. /

I see that you have olympus om-d e-m5 .... I hated the fact that the flash is external, and it was looking like a mad cobra.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads