Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898Gear list
Like?
Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay
4 months ago

Hi,

I don't know if this appeals to long lens enthusiasts but there's a Tokina ATX 150-500mm constant aperture f5.6 MF zoom for sale - appeared on e-Bay today.  USD $468 starting bid for auction.  Three days to close.

These things were supposed to be sharp, including at the long end, and an affordable 500mm f5.6 is a rare beast indeed.  I'm tempted but I'm a bit broke at the moment........

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,433
Like?
Re: Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay
In reply to Rod McD, 4 months ago

I had one once, in Pentax mount. Not a bad lens infact as I sold a shot of an egret flying away from me to a MD nature center and they use it on one of their brochures. That was in the late 80's or early 90's. David (ZX5Lx) and I compared notes on that lens compared to the Tamron AD-2 200-500/5.6 and we both agreed that the Tamron was slightly better at the long end but neither gave that much away to the other over the rest of the range. Photodo did not give the lens a very good MTF score, only 2.0, which is near the bottom of long zooms but we thought the score was a little unfair. When stopped down to F8 or F11 it was decent enough. Howevert I replaced that Tokina after about a year with my first example of the Tamron SP 200-500 after testing that one out. Both were somewhat of a pain except on an monopod because both had tripod collars that were way too far to the rear of the balance point with the Tamron being the worst of the 2 in that regard. That Tokina 150-500/5.6 is actually a sharper lens overall when compared to the later Tokina 80-400/5.6 AF lens, which suffers from significant reduced sharpness at the long end.

Kent Gittings

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thegreat26
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 3 months ago

Well i hope i did the right thing..............

Just bought this......

thegreat26's gear list:thegreat26's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Dave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?
In reply to thegreat26, 3 months ago

Dave (Zx5Lx) here. Wow Kent!  Can't believe after all these years you recall our conversation....I'm impressed!  You nailed the performance of these two lenses to a "T".  I agree, a good sample of the Tokina 150-500 is indeed a decent bargain.  It does have some shortcomings when used with a 12MP sensor or hight, depending how large you plan to print but so does the Tamron 200-500 f5.6 and their 300 f2.8 and unique 400 f4 lenses.

You are  also right about the later Tokina 80-400 f5.6 lens.  It may be very small and light compared to the 150-500 but unfortunately as you stated, it's performance at the long end leaves much to be desired.

How ironic we should be talking about these lenses now.  Just a week ago I came across a Tokina 15-500 f5.6 in Nikon mount and was tempted to grab it.  Then I thought twice since I would be using it on a higher resolution DSLR and my guess is it would fall short for my needs.  Still all in all, a good sample has potential for not a hugh sum of money.

Dave

KentG
Like?
In reply to Dave, 3 months ago

Where are you living these days, David? With the demise of all the camera swap meets we did not have a chance to get together like in the old days. I moved around the area, now living in Hagerstown but in the process of moving to the Martinsburg, WV area which is near where I work.

PM me an answer. I am also on the PF forum.

Kent Gittings

thegreat26
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 3 months ago

Well this is my message reagarding my purchase of that specific tokina 150-500 lens.

I always wanted this lens so i gave it a bid.

I WON IT i received it today from japan ay 7:45 in the morning. And i took her for a ride to capture some flamingoes. As soon as the sun hit the lens i saw a couple of spots under the first glass element and a large amount of haze inside.

I felt really stupid because a friend of mine i think inside here was warning us about buying used lens from the net.

I contacted the seller and he offered me 20usd as a compensation. Jesus........

I paid 518usd for this no fungus no haze excelent + condition lens and he offered me 20usd as compensation.

Anyway i asked for a full refund i already send them back and i am already almost 160usd poorer because i lost all the money i paid for customs plus the 44 euros for sending the lens back.

This is the exact answer i took:

Hello,

Sorry for my mistake.
I had missed to correct my template.
I misunderstood the spots were on the filter.
I can accept 20USD refund as compensation.

I hope you enjoy with the lens,

Thank you,

So my dear friends be extra cautious and careful before buying used lens from the internet.

Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
PrakticaB
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

I am sorry to hear that, i has hoping to see some pictures taken with the lens.

Buying from ebay is risky, I learnt it also the hard way. In any case, maybe you can claim back the 160 USD since you can prove now the lens was exported (returned).

PrakticaB's gear list:PrakticaB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
thegreat26
Like?
In reply to PrakticaB, 3 months ago

I had already spoke with my customs office.

The answer?

What comes in can't come out.

Anyway at least i manage to touch one of my all time favorites. And i am sure this lens is not available anywhere close to Cyprus.

Got to save for sth better i quess.

KentG
Like?

This is one reason I don't buy or bid on lenses being sold from Japan or Hong Kong.

Kent Gittings

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?
In reply to KentG, 3 months ago

No kidding, Kent!

Any time I see "a good deal" online -- ANYWHERE -- and the seller is in Hong Kong or somewhere, I just write it off. That's the same sort of thing I figure... They could even NOT send the product and just WHAT am I going to do? Go to China and press charges?!?!? Unless I'm some American big-wig I could be the one to end up in jail. Besides, it would likely cost more to do that (or most any other funds recovery method), than the $$$ lost.

So for me, if it's not sold in America, I don't buy it... Maybe Canada, although nothing so far. I'll let the manufacturers and middlemen deal with international trade.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Wickedstreak
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?

Sorry to hear about your problem.  Re: your reply from Customs, do they mean that if you were to return the lens they will still not refund the taxes you paid on importation?

thegreat26
Like?
In reply to Wickedstreak, 3 months ago

I have already send them back since day one.

Normally i should get my tax money back but yes this is the answer i got.

Unfortunately here in Cyprus you can't find anything regarding pentax to buy. New or old. All the buys i made from USA and preferably UK were trouble free.

This guy refunded me the money but the whole 'i forgot the template' thing was suspicious.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads