Shutter sound for EOS M vs. 60D?

Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions
ProfessorA
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Shutter sound for EOS M vs. 60D?
Dec 30, 2013

Obviously there is no mirror slap but how quiet is the EOS M?

I take lowlight pictures of dance recitals.  I've been happy enough with the 60D except for the loud shutter sound.  I've been using a blimp and it helps muffle it but my wife really wants it quieter.

I was thinking of using the EOS M with an EOS adapter and my Sigma 50-150 f2.8 for a quieter operation.

Am I crazy?

I know that I would be sacrificing a number of things:

• low light focus
  • focus speed
  • frame rate
  • buffer depth 
  • shutter lag (probably)
  • blackout (probably)

It does seem like the high ISO performance should be the same.

I've been searching through the EOS M reviews and forum threads but I don't see anything about noise.

Thoughts?

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DuaneDibbley
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter sound for EOS M vs. 60D?
In reply to ProfessorA, Dec 30, 2013

Can't speak the to 60d but compared to the 70D it's a softer noise. No hard slappy edge to the sound. It's also a fair bit quieter. But it's still easily audible.

DuaneDibbley's gear list:DuaneDibbley's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,647
Like?
not a chance you'll be able to AF

There's not a chance this camera will track action in low light.  Not even a little one.  I've got a 60D and an M and it's just not even kind of usable for that purpose.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,803Gear list
Like?

Personally I would not give up my 60D for my EOS M for low light dance recitals even if the 60D were even louder.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +16 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Dec 30, 2013

Low light? Quietness needed? Sounds like a job for the 6D...

The M is certainly quiet enough - there are very few cameras ever made that are quieter - but the AF is certainly not up to it.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, Dec 30, 2013

Rock and Rollei wrote:

The M is certainly quiet enough - there are very few cameras ever made that are quieter - but the AF is certainly not up to it.

Ever wondered how people shot stage performances before AF was invented? Manual focussing coupled with zone focus plus skillful anticipation always worked then and it will still work now.

Rock and Rollei
Like?
In reply to calterg, Dec 30, 2013

calterg wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Ever wondered how people shot stage performances before AF was invented? Manual focussing coupled with zone focus plus skillful anticipation always worked then and it will still work now.

True enough. I've actually got a book from the 1940s about 35mm photography - it goes into a lot of detail about direction of focus, aperture ring and shutter speed dials for Contax, Leica and Kodak Ektar rangefinders to assist with this very process.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
ProfessorA
Like?
In reply to DuaneDibbley, Dec 30, 2013

DuaneDibbley wrote:

Can't speak the to 60d but compared to the 70D it's a softer noise. No hard slappy edge to the sound. It's also a fair bit quieter. But it's still easily audible.

Thanks - that is exactly what I needed to find out.  I'll need to see if a local store has an EOS M in stock to hear the sound.  I was thinking/hoping it was virtually silent.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,647
Like?

Rock and Rollei wrote:

calterg wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

True enough. I've actually got a book from the 1940s about 35mm photography - it goes into a lot of detail about direction of focus, aperture ring and shutter speed dials for Contax, Leica and Kodak Ektar rangefinders to assist with this very process.

Did they have ISO 6400 film?  That's what ISO I used at the last dance recital I shot.    ISO 6400 at 1/400 and f2.8.

Modern cameras don't have focusing aids so it's going to be a lot more of a guessing game than anything.

ProfessorA
Like?

Rock and Rollei wrote:

I had not even thought about going full frame, I thought the bigger mirror would make it louder but there is a pretty convincing youtube  video comparing the 6D sound and the 60D.  I'll need to give that some thought too.  Now if only I didn't have all those EF-S lenses.

That seems to be a recurring theme from commenters.

Rock and Rollei
Like?
In reply to DuaneDibbley, Dec 30, 2013

DuaneDibbley wrote:

P.S. Fantastic username, Duke of Dork.

DuaneDibbley
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

Rock and Rollei wrote:

DuaneDibbley wrote:

P.S. Fantastic username, Duke of Dork.

Thanks! Love the show It's actually a little surprising how often people pick up on it. I thought Red Dwarf was a little less known that it appears to be.

DuaneDibbley's gear list:DuaneDibbley's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Dec 30, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

calterg wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Did they have ISO 6400 film? That's what ISO I used at the last dance recital I shot. ISO 6400 at 1/400 and f2.8.

Modern cameras don't have focusing aids so it's going to be a lot more of a guessing game than anything.

Modern cameras do have focussing aid that those old timers wished they had.

Magnified view with exposure simulation.

Focus peaking coupled with trap focus.

If you install magic lantern on the m, you get focus peaking and magnified focus box.

When things move into focus zone, they shimmer and you click... I use this technique to shoot bees on flowers with high success rate, as an example.

Ember42
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
In reply to ProfessorA, Dec 31, 2013

ProfessorA wrote:

Obviously there is no mirror slap but how quiet is the EOS M?

I take lowlight pictures of dance recitals. I've been happy enough with the 60D except for the loud shutter sound. I've been using a blimp and it helps muffle it but my wife really wants it quieter.

I was thinking of using the EOS M with an EOS adapter and my Sigma 50-150 f2.8 for a quieter operation.

Am I crazy?

I know that I would be sacrificing a number of things:

• low light focus
  • focus speed
  • frame rate
  • buffer depth
  • shutter lag (probably)
  • blackout (probably)

It does seem like the high ISO performance should be the same.

I've been searching through the EOS M reviews and forum threads but I don't see anything about noise.

Thoughts?

I have both.  The M is a little 'click', (it does 2nd shutter mechanically only).  The 60D has noticeably more sounds (mirror, and two mechanical shutters).  It might be worth comparing to the 60D in live view to see what it is like without the mirror movements.

If there is any music for the dance I don't think the M would be audible more than a seat or so away. I haven't tried the ML mods, but for this it sounds like it would be useful, as manual / zone focus would be the only way.  To bad the cable release doesn't work to avoid shaking the camera...

Ember42's gear list:Ember42's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +12 more
Fastfwd01
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
In reply to ProfessorA, Dec 31, 2013

I consider a highlight of the G1X to be the totally silent shutter.  Not quiet, but no sound at all.

Fastfwd01's gear list:Fastfwd01's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads