Today it happened

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
DPortier
Regular MemberPosts: 478
Like?
Today it happened
10 months ago

I used it for a little longer than 6 months, but today it stopped working. My dp1 (original) has its lens stuck. I bought it second hand, very cheap, but however I feel a little sad. From the moment I used it, it turned out to be suitable for my type of photography. Used it a more then any of my other cameras since the purchase.

Here are two photos I shot last week, from the last day with this camera.

Sit back and wait for new things to come...

Descent

-- hide signature --
Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
atom14
Senior MemberPosts: 1,324
Like?
Re: Today it happened - Bad Luck!
In reply to DPortier, 10 months ago

When it happened to me I got it fixed thru the local Σ disrtibutors for $160. It needed a "new lens assembly".

atom14.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
k2racer
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Today it happened
In reply to DPortier, 7 months ago

Daniel, are you going to replace it?

k2racer's gear list:k2racer's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Leica Digilux 2 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Nikon 1 V1 +2 more
tatsuki
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
In reply to k2racer, 7 months ago

Mine broke a year ago was very unhappy, only just replaced it a month or so ago when the merrills dropped in price.

DPortier
Like?

Sure, I already did.

I could get my hands on a second hand dp1s for just above 100 euro. Including an orignal battery and lens hood and filter. Always tempted to step into one of the merrils, but I always conclude the old foveon is enough for me.  The battery is okay, and the file-size is manageable. Still these 'older' foveon camera delivery images with the wow-factor every now and then.

But besides the never equallized wow-factor of the foveon images, I more and more shoot with other cameras. Predominantly a second hand Ricoh GX100 and my HTC phone.

Regards and have a good time.

-- hide signature --
WhiteSwan
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

You might want to try this.

Nothing to lose.

k2racer
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?

Ha, nice to see you replaced it. I agree the old foveon look is so nice, but the newer merrill are very tempting with latest prices. My dp1 suffers from battery drain so i was looking for another one also. Maybe you kidnapped the one i wanted from 'marktplaats'?

I have another photo friend in Ede, maybe we should meet someday

k2racer's gear list:k2racer's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Leica Digilux 2 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Nikon 1 V1 +2 more
William Wilgus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202
Like?

Sorry for your loss.  Not to make light of it, but I can't help asking: 'When's the internment?'

DPortier
Like?

Well, 'martkplaats' is my primary source for 'new' gear. And although the Sigma related gear is scarce, once in a while you can get a good deal. Sorry, to have bought this one right before your eyes

Indeed, maybe we can meet somewhere, somehow. There should be a way to break out of old photographic habits, get out of the comfort zone, it might help (me) to get new inspiration.

-- hide signature --
dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Like?
My experience

I pre ordered the DP1 as soon as I could.  I learned the quirks of the camera and patterned my shooting to meet them.  I loved the images and that such an imager fit into my shirt pocket.  I used it exclusively for 2 years or so.  It broke!  The replacement broke!

The 3rd one broke sitting on a shelf.  I turned it on, took a shot, turned it off.  A week later I picked it up and the lens broke while extending.  I sent that one back and the 4th one broke also.

The replacements seemed to run $180 + shipping + insurance. After the first replacement I treated the camera like the most delicate flower but they still broke.  After the 2nd return, Sigma USA began to abuse me.

Great camera.  Needed QC and a good broom on their service dept.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads