walk around bag for Canon 7d and Tamron 150-600mm lens attached

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
PK62
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
walk around bag for Canon 7d and Tamron 150-600mm lens attached
9 months ago

OK, I've pre-ordered the Tamron lens and now realize that I don't have a bag large enough to carry it attached to my 7D.  I have a shoulder bag for my 7D and Canon 100-400 lens that holds my camera and lens in a flat position that I really like...but it puts a lot of weight on one shoulder.  I'm a woman and have back problems and was wondering if any of you could suggest a light bag that would hold my new set up and be more comfortable for walking around.  I don't need to carry other gear because when I'm using this lens I'd be out looking for birds and wildlife.  I kind of prefer it lying flat, but if you have other suggestions that would be better for my back I'm open to them.   I think it would have to be about 15 inches long to fit with lens hood reversed, since the lens is 10.1 inches.  Any help would be great.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ecologist1234
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Re: walk around bag for Canon 7d and Tamron 150-600mm lens attached
In reply to PK62, 9 months ago

Good question. I haven't got an answer. But, what bag is your 100-400 fitting in? I use the lowepro fastpak (350 AW, I think?) but wouldn't mind something smaller for when I only have the 100-400 with me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PK62
Like?
In reply to ecologist1234, 9 months ago

ecologist1234 wrote:

Good question. I haven't got an answer. But, what bag is your 100-400 fitting in? I use the lowepro fastpak (350 AW, I think?) but wouldn't mind something smaller for when I only have the 100-400 with me.

I have a Tamrac Aria shoulder bag that's perfect for my 7D with 100-400mm lens attached.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,269
Like?

Are you sure it is not a good strap for carrying that combo around rather than the bag? If so then look at the Black Rapid straps to start with. I carry the Tamron 200-500 on a D7000 with the sports strap. Saves the strain on the back/neck

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/sport

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

PK62
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, 9 months ago

Danielepaolo wrote:

Are you sure it is not a good strap for carrying that combo around rather than the bag? If so then look at the Black Rapid straps to start with. I carry the Tamron 200-500 on a D7000 with the sports strap. Saves the strain on the back/neck

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/sport

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

That looks good too, but I need something with some protection if it rains while I'm out there.  I'll look into the strap though, thanks

-- hide signature --

Patti

John Summers
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?

Would this work. Sure looks nice.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0262304156/8-months-with-the-vanguard-up-rise-33-camera-bag

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

John Summers's gear list:John Summers's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +9 more
Cetonid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
This could work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847230-REG/Think_Tank_881_Digital_Holster_50_V2_0.html

Not sure how comfy the shoulder strap would be under a 7lb load, but if you're not carrying other gear, it looks like it may fit with a reversed hood.

Cetonid's gear list:Cetonid's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony SLT-A77 +11 more
PK62
Like?
In reply to John Summers, 9 months ago

John Summers wrote:

Would this work. Sure looks nice.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0262304156/8-months-with-the-vanguard-up-rise-33-camera-bag

-- hide signature --

Fly'nErcil

It does look nice. I'll have to check it out.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

Patti

gopiqpp
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

OK, I've pre-ordered the Tamron lens and now realize that I don't have a bag large enough to carry it attached to my 7D. I have a shoulder bag for my 7D and Canon 100-400 lens that holds my camera and lens in a flat position that I really like...but it puts a lot of weight on one shoulder. I'm a woman and have back problems and was wondering if any of you could suggest a light bag that would hold my new set up and be more comfortable for walking around. I don't need to carry other gear because when I'm using this lens I'd be out looking for birds and wildlife. I kind of prefer it lying flat, but if you have other suggestions that would be better for my back I'm open to them. I think it would have to be about 15 inches long to fit with lens hood reversed, since the lens is 10.1 inches. Any help would be great.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Check this out. I have one for my Sony A57 + Sigma 150-500.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-30-v2.aspx

gopiqpp's gear list:gopiqpp's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +5 more
PK62
Like?
Re: This could work.
In reply to Cetonid, 9 months ago

Cetonid wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847230-REG/Think_Tank_881_Digital_Holster_50_V2_0.html

Not sure how comfy the shoulder strap would be under a 7lb load, but if you're not carrying other gear, it looks like it may fit with a reversed hood.

This could work, just not sure about comfort on my shoulder.  I'm always worried about carrying the camera and lens facing down like that.  Is it OK for the contacts with pressure on them while walking?  Probably is or people wouldn't do it.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62
Like?
In reply to gopiqpp, 9 months ago

gopiqpp wrote:

PK62 wrote:

OK, I've pre-ordered the Tamron lens and now realize that I don't have a bag large enough to carry it attached to my 7D. I have a shoulder bag for my 7D and Canon 100-400 lens that holds my camera and lens in a flat position that I really like...but it puts a lot of weight on one shoulder. I'm a woman and have back problems and was wondering if any of you could suggest a light bag that would hold my new set up and be more comfortable for walking around. I don't need to carry other gear because when I'm using this lens I'd be out looking for birds and wildlife. I kind of prefer it lying flat, but if you have other suggestions that would be better for my back I'm open to them. I think it would have to be about 15 inches long to fit with lens hood reversed, since the lens is 10.1 inches. Any help would be great.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Check this out. I have one for my Sony A57 + Sigma 150-500.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-30-v2.aspx

The Think Tanks do look good,  plus I see that you can get a belt that makes it easier on your back.

-- hide signature --

Patti

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,214Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

Patti

Hi Patti. Wow! congrats on ordering the Tamron. I am teetering on the brink myself. Bag wise, I have just bought a Lowepro Nova Sport 35L AW. It's a shoulder bag, 15" wide 12" tall & 9" deep. It's light for the size & is comfortable in use. I too have severe arthritic problems in many joints, including neck [spondylitis] & back [upper & lower] Only you can say if it's suitable, but I am sympathetic to your problem. I also have 2 knapsack type bags [also lowepro] but I like the convenience of having my gear at my side, ready. Worth a look perhaps.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
happysnapper64
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, 9 months ago

happysnapper64 wrote:

PK62 wrote:

Patti

Hi Patti. Wow! congrats on ordering the Tamron. I am teetering on the brink myself. Bag wise, I have just bought a Lowepro Nova Sport 35L AW. It's a shoulder bag, 15" wide 12" tall & 9" deep. It's light for the size & is comfortable in use. I too have severe arthritic problems in many joints, including neck [spondylitis] & back [upper & lower] Only you can say if it's suitable, but I am sympathetic to your problem. I also have 2 knapsack type bags [also lowepro] but I like the convenience of having my gear at my side, ready. Worth a look perhaps.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

Forgot to add, it also comes with a rainhood.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
PK62
Like?

It sounds great, I'll check it out right now.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

Patti

happysnapper64
Like?

Patti. I just looked at your gallery. I love the close up of the chipmunk, really cute. Nice sharp half moon shot, taken on my birthday too!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

PK62
Like?

happysnapper64 wrote:

Patti. I just looked at your gallery. I love the close up of the chipmunk, really cute. Nice sharp half moon shot, taken on my birthday too!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Thank you.  Maybe I can get more close-ups with the new Tamron.  I'm getting nervous now about ordering it before any reviews come out.   But I want more reach and certainly can't spend $12,000 to get it, so the Tamron it is.

-- hide signature --

Patti

happysnapper64
Like?

PK62 wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

Patti. I just looked at your gallery. I love the close up of the chipmunk, really cute. Nice sharp half moon shot, taken on my birthday too!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Thank you. Maybe I can get more close-ups with the new Tamron. I'm getting nervous now about ordering it before any reviews come out. But I want more reach and certainly can't spend $12,000 to get it, so the Tamron it is.

-- hide signature --

Patti

I know what you mean. It looks almost too good to be true. FF compatible too. I bought a Sigma 120-400 OS last year. It got a bit of a bashing in reviews & some comments on DPR were not "favourable" It was a choice for me between that & a used 100-400, which was £350 dearer than the Sigma, which also has a 3yr warranty. I paid my £625 for the Sigma, not expecting IQ like my 70-200f/4. It took a bit of getting used to, but I have to say I am quite pleased with the results when I nail it. I suppose what I am saying [eventually :-D] is that for the money it looks pretty darn good so far. Like you say, the options are frightening to contemplate cost wise. WELL out of my range. I would love to see some photos you take with it [no pressure?] If it's as good as, or a little better than my Sigma, I think I would be quite happy.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

PK62
Like?

happysnapper64 wrote:

PK62 wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

Thank you. Maybe I can get more close-ups with the new Tamron. I'm getting nervous now about ordering it before any reviews come out. But I want more reach and certainly can't spend $12,000 to get it, so the Tamron it is.

-- hide signature --

Patti

I know what you mean. It looks almost too good to be true. FF compatible too. I bought a Sigma 120-400 OS last year. It got a bit of a bashing in reviews & some comments on DPR were not "favourable" It was a choice for me between that & a used 100-400, which was £350 dearer than the Sigma, which also has a 3yr warranty. I paid my £625 for the Sigma, not expecting IQ like my 70-200f/4. It took a bit of getting used to, but I have to say I am quite pleased with the results when I nail it. I suppose what I am saying [eventually :-D] is that for the money it looks pretty darn good so far. Like you say, the options are frightening to contemplate cost wise. WELL out of my range. I would love to see some photos you take with it [no pressure?] If it's as good as, or a little better than my Sigma, I think I would be quite happy.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

I know I'm a little afraid to compare it with my Canon 100-400L series, but I'm not expecting perfection.  I'm realistic I think and will be happy with the added reach without having to crop so heavily.  I'd be happy to post some shots when I get comfortable with the lens.

-- hide signature --

Patti

victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?

PK62 wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

At the very worst case the Tamron looks like it's fully worth the asking price. What everyone is wondering is "does it compare with $2k, $3k, $6k+ lenses?". If the answer is even sort of yes, you'll be happy you're not waiting in line with the folks who didn't pre-order.

Enjoy it!

-- hide signature --

Patti

-- hide signature --

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning." Andy Warhol

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
PK62
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, 9 months ago

victorian squid wrote:

PK62 wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

At the very worst case the Tamron looks like it's fully worth the asking price. What everyone is wondering is "does it compare with $2k, $3k, $6k+ lenses?". If the answer is even sort of yes, you'll be happy you're not waiting in line with the folks who didn't pre-order.

Enjoy it!

-- hide signature --

Patti

-- hide signature --

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning." Andy Warhol

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm sure I'll have a great time with it.

-- hide signature --

Patti

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads