NJ service center??

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?
NJ service center??
11 months ago

I think I have to send my 5DIII in to get serviced for a weird problem I had on my last shoot. I am interested in recent experience with the New Jersey service center. Good? Not so good? Slow? Fast?

My problem is that though I have never shot jpegs with this camera, only RAW, ¾ of the files from my last shoot were jpegs! I had done no menu diving at all…just used my usual go-to settings. Since the camera has another month under warrantee I thought it would be worthwhile to send it in.

I'm grateful for your wisdom and advice,

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sal18
Like?
Re: NJ service center??
In reply to Sal18, 11 months ago

Anyone?

(Apologies if bumps are rude manners!)

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,131Gear list
Like?

Sal18 wrote:

I think I have to send my 5DIII in to get serviced for a weird problem I had on my last shoot. I am interested in recent experience with the New Jersey service center. Good? Not so good? Slow? Fast?

My problem is that though I have never shot jpegs with this camera, only RAW, ¾ of the files from my last shoot were jpegs! I had done no menu diving at all…just used my usual go-to settings. Since the camera has another month under warrantee I thought it would be worthwhile to send it in.

I'm grateful for your wisdom and advice,

Sal

3-4 years ago, my 5D had a power problem.  The camera was sent in four times, and I finally got a replacement refurbished unit.  About two years ago, I had a problem with my 5D2, again power problem.

If memory serves, from their website, I found a form, filled it and sent camera in.  The first time was under warranty, subsequent ones were not, but within the three months period for repair warranty (?).

It was pretty fast, within a week returning.  My experience is quite positive.

Good luck. . . Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Michael Fryd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813
Like?

Before sending it in, I would reset the camera settings, make sure the firmware is up-to-date, and see if you still have the problem.

These are the steps the repair facility will go through.

There is little benefit in sending in the camera if you can resolved the issue yourself.

Sal18
Like?
In reply to Michael Fryd, 11 months ago

Thank you, Steven and Michael. So far I've not been able to get it to repeat this behavior. My concern is that there is one month left on the warranty and ir may not do this again during this time. However, it is probably a good idea to re-do the firmware update? Do the recent one again? And a camera reset. (ugh!)

Sal

Fujifilm X-T1
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,481Gear list
Like?

I'm a photojournalist and have used the NJ pro location several times for fairly major disasters: SNAPPED a 16-35 in two, electronic fail on my 300 f/2.8, smashed in the pentaprism on a 1D mark II, lens knocked out of alignment, shutter broken, etc.

The NJ folks have always been fast, professional and done a first-rate job. The repair charges have increased considerably over the years, but I don't think they are in control of billing.

90c4
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?

New Jersey is fast, but I wouldn't bother. If you can't repeat the problem, they won't be able to either. I can almost guarantee that you bumped the mode dial (I've bumped mine, despite the lock) and were in a mode that wasn't set to RAW.  AV, TV, etc all have separate settings I believe. Check the EXIF of the JPG shots.

Michael Fryd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813
Like?

Sal18 wrote:

Thank you, Steven and Michael. So far I've not been able to get it to repeat this behavior. My concern is that there is one month left on the warranty and ir may not do this again during this time. However, it is probably a good idea to re-do the firmware update? Do the recent one again? And a camera reset. (ugh!)

Sal

I have had issues getting intermittent problems repaired.  If they can't quickly reproduce it, they can't fix it.

I had an issue with a 7D that would lock up a few times a day.  Removing the battery would reset it, but if the lockout occurred at the wrong time, I could lose the shot.

The first two times I sent the camera in, they found nothing wrong, and sent it back.  To be fair, the techs don't have the time to sit around playing with the camera hoping it will fail.

I am a CPS member and complained.  I sent it back a third time and they replaced some main board, which fixed the problem.

The advantage of sending it in now, is that you get it on record that the failure occurred during the warranty period.  If you are lucky, you will get a 6 month warranty on the "repair".

If you already have the latest firmware, I would not bother with updating again.

I would double check the manual to make sure that this is a camera malfunction and not user error.  For instance, even when the camera is set to RAW, HDR images will be saved as JPEG.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads