D7100 moire, is this corrected at all in camera?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jdl1986
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
D7100 moire, is this corrected at all in camera?
7 months ago

Hello,

I'm just trying to clue myself up on the D7100 and the removal of the Optical Low Pass Filter. I work in camera retail and whatever information I get will help me in the future.

From what I understand the removal of this filter increases the possibility of moire but with the increase of sharpness. To add to that I've read that with the right technique this can increase shapness even more in some situations.

That's as far as my knowledge goes. What I'm interested in knowing is wether any of this moire is processed/ corrected in camera?

I have read that with the D800E there is software correction available in Capture NX2.

I've found no record of any correction in camera and have always assumed it was done in software processing. Someone queried it with me today.

Any information will be a great help!

Thanks,
Joe

jdl1986's gear list:jdl1986's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 moire, is this corrected at all in camera?
In reply to jdl1986, 7 months ago

I don't believe moire is corrected in camera.

I haven't noticed any moire in my shots.  I don't think it is a significant issue.

Adobe lightroom has moire removal in the brush tool.

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lilgish44
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

I am at 40000+ shots on my D7100 since March and I have never seen moire on my pictures.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,304Gear list
Like?

Moire is more likely with cameras with a low number of MP. Camera makers used a low pass filter to reduce the chance of moire with the trade off of a bit less sensor resolution.

With higher MP cameras the risk of moire is much reduced, and post process moire removal tools are now more common.

The D7100 does not have a low pass filter to help prevent moire but even so because it has twice as many MP as 12 MP you are much less likely to get an image with a moire problem.

-- hide signature --

A great painter gets credit for artistic skill rather than owning marvellous brushes. There is a common assumption a great photograph requires a marvellous camera. Usually the photographer and not the camera deserves most of the credit.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,105
Like?

Whatever CNX2 does to D800E should be applicable to D7100 too.
One can probably find moire if looking hard enough, but a sharp lens is required. Limited lens resolution effectively replaces the AA filter.

BillD7000
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

From what I understand the removal of this filter increases the possibility of moire but with the increase of sharpness.

once in a great while, it's possible to find moiré in a given D7100 image, but it's rare, and really has to be looked for at 100%, under very particular circumstances.  I've owned the camera since the day it was released, and have NEVER wished for a moiré removal tool, under any circumstances.  It's really a non-issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads