Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
lfk1
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
8 months ago

I want to buy a new compact camera. I am not a pro, but from what I read in reviews, G1 X gives much better performance in low light situations, which is important for me. G16 on the other hand has features like a faster processor, WiFi etc. Most importantly, G1 X was released 2 years ago which makes me feel like I'm buying something old.

I'm also open to buying other brands such as Sony and Nikon.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

I have had the G1x for about 18 months, and truly like it. However there is a bit of a learning curve to get he most from it. I don't find the focus all that slow, for a compact camera, and the lens is truly excellent. The high ISO performance is also impressive, you can shoot at ISO 6400 without any concern about noise.

However you have to learn to compensate for the lack of close focus , that means even for portraits at 3 feet you will need to activate the closeup function if you zoom even slightly. When using external flashes there is an annoying lag after shutter release, before the flash fires. Doesn't happen with the built in flash, which is not very powerful, and will drain the already low capacity battery.

But for DSLR level image quality, I don't think any other compact comes close to  the G1x. Its truly unique.

Carry extra batteries, remember to activate close focus early, use high Tv to stop action, and not rely on it to  focus quickly on moving subjects.

 Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

RMark's comments are right on. As far as image quality versatility is concerned in a compact the G1X stands alone. If you do a lot of  macro photography, the G16 might be the better choice. Otherwise it's the G1X.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

I have the Canon G15, I was also considering the G1 X at that time, I choose the G15 because it have better ergonimics, better lens, mutch smaler then the G1 X, the G15/G16 are good enough in low light up to ISO 800 and even ISO 1600 is usable.

the G15 lens is so good F1.8 - F2.8 , 28 - 140mm against the G1 X : F2.8 - F5.8 , 28 - 112mm thats why one need to go at ISO 3200 against ISO 800 at maximum range to have the same light effect.

to me the G15/G16 is more a alround camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to phototherapy, 8 months ago

I also tried all these in my hands.

G1X is powerful cam, but it is not pocketable anymore, and price is higher than G15. That way I´d go EOS 600D instead with second hand kit lens, if I really needed Image quality for the same price so much. G1X can shoot higher ISOs, but G15/G16 can almost keep up with one to two and half stops faster lens at tele range with the same focal lenght set, newer sensor and processing. it´s not better always, especially when light is very good, but once it goes darker, smaller Gs really show its true power.

I´m not here to defame any other cam just because I have G15. I bought it few weeks ago, because I´ve seen it to be good so much. It also depends how you use it. G1X clearly IS better camera, but not always. See DPR test image collage:

G1X vs G15 comparison

There are also parts of image, where G1X shows better resolution or noise characteristics or whatever... My point here is, that G15 is not only poorer sibling. It has true power when used "properly" or in poorer light..... I also showed few images in another thread, where G15 has marginally higher resolution than G16 has, but it is on thin line of recognition when watched 100%. It´s huge shame that  new G16 is not better than G15 in IQ that way, but it still holds those powers and it has nice and new features, it´s faster.

You may have hard decision. Good luck with that. I wish you had money nad strenght to carry EOS 600D instead

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,199Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

Hi,

I have a G12 and a G1X (and a DSLR and too many lenses).  They're both good.  Yes the G1X is two years old.  It's still a very good camera though - there's still nothing else quite like it.  There is no sign of what Canon may be planning for the small camera/larger sensor niche.

The G1X is bigger and heavier but remains a well featured camera with a clear advantage in high ISO/noise performance.  You may not notice it in good light, but it stands out in low light.  It's AF is somewhat slow compared to a DSLR, but it's probably not a lot different from the G12.  It's NOT an action camera.  On the plus side, it's AF is very accurate.  The G1X can clip highlights, and I tend to leave the camera with -1/3 compensation and/or DR control set to 200.  I find it an excellent travel camera.  It has a better system for taking filters than the G12.  (It requires a small accessory adapter).

The G12 is great, but definitely noisier than the G1X.  The G15 & 16 have a much faster lens and improved AF over the G12, so their AF is probably faster than the G1X.  Be a bit cautious of the concept that because they have faster lenses they are better in low light and "equivalent" to the G1X with it's bigger sensor and slower lens.  This is true in terms of subject isolation, but only applies to subjects where you actually want to use wide apertures because you want shallow DOF.  It may be no help at all for subjects that need you to stop down to get deeper DOF.  And it won't get rid of noise if you do have to resort to higher ISOs.

I use my G1X as a travel and hiking camera.   I'm very happy with it in that role (though I'm tempted by mirror-less cameras with interchangeable lenses........)  I use the G12 for social occasions.  It's smaller and lighter, fits in a jacket pocket, has longer reach and more inherent DOF for interiors, groups, dining table shots and so on.

Hope this helps, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to Rod McD, 8 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I have a G12 and a G1X (and a DSLR and too many lenses). They're both good. Yes the G1X is two years old. It's still a very good camera though - there's still nothing else quite like it. There is no sign of what Canon may be planning for the small camera/larger sensor niche.

The G1X is bigger and heavier but remains a well featured camera with a clear advantage in high ISO/noise performance. You may not notice it in good light, but it stands out in low light. It's AF is somewhat slow compared to a DSLR, but it's probably not a lot different from the G12. It's NOT an action camera. On the plus side, it's AF is very accurate. The G1X can clip highlights, and I tend to leave the camera with -1/3 compensation and/or DR control set to 200. I find it an excellent travel camera. It has a better system for taking filters than the G12. (It requires a small accessory adapter).

The G12 is great, but definitely noisier than the G1X. The G15 & 16 have a much faster lens and improved AF over the G12, so their AF is probably faster than the G1X. Be a bit cautious of the concept that because they have faster lenses they are better in low light and "equivalent" to the G1X with it's bigger sensor and slower lens. This is true in terms of subject isolation, but only applies to subjects where you actually want to use wide apertures because you want shallow DOF. It may be no help at all for subjects that need you to stop down to get deeper DOF. And it won't get rid of noise if you do have to resort to higher ISOs.

I use my G1X as a travel and hiking camera. I'm very happy with it in that role (though I'm tempted by mirror-less cameras with interchangeable lenses........) I use the G12 for social occasions. It's smaller and lighter, fits in a jacket pocket, has longer reach and more inherent DOF for interiors, groups, dining table shots and so on.

Hope this helps, Rod

Yes, I can agree on that. I already wrote that G1X is better cam. Clearly. No way. But that DOF thing is not that clear. f/1,8 on 1/1,7" sensor is deeper than the same would on G1X. That way you can still leave a bit lower f number to achieve the same DOF as you would with G1X at higher f number. No free lunch for G1X with bigger sensor man... Those new small beasts are really nipping heels of their bigger brothers.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
afm
afm
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

Anyone who believed DP's noise and resolution results shown in a previous thread would never have bought the G1X.  The reality is - the G1X has truly superb image quality comparable to, if not better than my 700D DSLR with kit lenz.  I have used the G1X for the past 2 years primarily as a travel camera.  It is true that this camera is not pocketable and is relatively slow compared to its peers.  I have the G15 also which is a fine pocket friendly camera more capable for close ups, and faster, but for sheer IQ it has to be the G1X for me.

 afm's gear list:afm's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

The only compact to come close to my G1X ifor IQ is the Sony RX100 (or its Mk2 version).. for me no Canon , Fuji or Lumix compact compares.

In low light the G1X beats the Sony and has a superb lens but the tiny size of the Sony means that it can go anywhere so easily.

The G1X is going to become the new DLux2 ,,,,,,,  an unloved at the time digital classic. Still a good buy.

 tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to tinpusher, 8 months ago

I´m not gonna argue that you´re not right. Because you are. You all are right. But you´ve seen something... I doubt that DPR falsificated those from G15, so there can be situations, when G1X is not better no matter what. I didn´t want to show that G15 is better, maybe those images looks like it is, I don´t mind and I believe it isn´t. My point was, that the decision between G1X and G15/G16 is healthy, valid, and has its logic. Those cams can get in situations, when it can show its specific kind of strenght over another cam. That´s all. That´s why recommended EOS DSLR for the same price instead of big compact cam. Focus speed is too important these days.

We all are disqualified of this decision, because ve have and love our cams. G1X vs G15 would be valid from someone (more people) who owns both for longer time.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to Rmark, 8 months ago

I became disenchanted with my G1X when I found you cannot get close enough to do a full head photo at 85mm equiv.. The closest focus is 60cm even in 'macro' mode which is pretty limiting.

I sold the camera and got a Nex 6 with the 16-50 lens and this just does not have these operational difficulties, has a larger sensor, is not a lot larger and has a brilliant EVF. Of course if you wish to match the reach of the G1X it would not be a cheap option but I like the wider angle.

Given the choice between the G16 and G1X the former seems a much more useful choice. Of course if IQ is important any CSC with a folding lens will probably exceed the G1X in practicality though you will lose the fast lens of the G16 and the reach.

Given the cropability of the big G1X sensor it is a pity they did not reduce the reach and maybe get that focusing even a few cms closer. It does make the camera hard to use and IMHO impossible in some circumstances.

Rmark wrote:

However you have to learn to compensate for the lack of close focus , that means even for portraits at 3 feet you will need to activate the closeup function if you zoom even slightly

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gianstam
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
Depends
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

It seems that G16 is faster, smaller, lighter, has WiFi, fast lens, greater DoF. All of these things may suggest you buy the G16 over G1 X.

But if you are a little bit of experienced photographer you cannot pass the image quality and the feel of th G1X.

Have a look at the below low light sceens. See the original size in gallery.

This is @12800 ISO

 gianstam's gear list:gianstam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-330 Pentax K20D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
imabel
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to lfk1, 8 months ago

You can follow the link to the Image Resource Comparometer and chose the G1 X and any other G10 through 16 and compare their shots at iso 1600 and they are all mush compared to the G1x. the link is: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM  - just select any G camera and the G1x and compare any photo.

I sold my Sony nex 5T after about a month with the Canon G1x

Anyway just learn to shoot well what ever you buy.

Mike

 imabel's gear list:imabel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to imabel, 8 months ago

Well, If you compare at the same ISO speed, you are totally right. But that cam has its faster lens for a reason...

So as analogy to gainstams food photo, I add one from G15. It has one to two and half stops faster lens, so I see no shame to shoot ISO 3200 against ISO 8000 of G1X, right? And I will repeat, that I´m not here to say that G15/G16 is better. It is not. It is just very close and it fights back. At least in my eyes.

Tea.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,710Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

crashpc wrote:

I´m not gonna argue that you´re not right. Because you are. You all are right. But you´ve seen something... I doubt that DPR falsificated those from G15, so there can be situations, when G1X is not better no matter what. I didn´t want to show that G15 is better, maybe those images looks like it is, I don´t mind and I believe it isn´t. My point was, that the decision between G1X and G15/G16 is healthy, valid, and has its logic. Those cams can get in situations, when it can show its specific kind of strenght over another cam. That´s all. That´s why recommended EOS DSLR for the same price instead of big compact cam. Focus speed is too important these days.

We all are disqualified of this decision, because ve have and love our cams. G1X vs G15 would be valid from someone (more people) who owns both for longer time.

I don't  think that anyone is saying that the G15, G16 or G1X are bad cams. In good light, it doesn't matter which you use. In poor light it matters very much. This is where the G1X absolutely excels because you can crank the ISO way up and not denigrate image quality. So the choice is fairly clear....if you want more pocketability or desire to shoot macros fairly often, then the G15/G16 is the better choice. If you want higher image quality in good light AND low light situations then the G1X is the clear winner. Then there is the matter of price. The G16 and G1X aren't that different from a price standpoint but the G15 is cheaper these days. Those are the choices and only you can be the judge which combination of price performance is best for you.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ckeek
Regular MemberPosts: 154
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to Rmark, 8 months ago

I have had the G1x for about 18 months, and truly like it. However there is a bit of a learning curve to get he most from it. I don't find the focus all that slow, for a compact camera, and the lens is truly excellent. The high ISO performance is also impressive, you can shoot at ISO 6400 without any concern about noise.

However you have to learn to compensate for the lack of close focus , that means even for portraits at 3 feet you will need to activate the closeup function if you zoom even slightly. When using external flashes there is an annoying lag after shutter release, before the flash fires. Doesn't happen with the built in flash, which is not very powerful, and will drain the already low capacity battery.

But for DSLR level image quality, I don't think any other compact comes close to  the G1x. Its truly unique.

Carry extra batteries, remember to activate close focus early, use high Tv to stop action, and not rely on it to  focus quickly on moving subjects.

Interested in your answer. Is the G1X capable of shooting the action pictures well such as using its Sports or Burst Mode?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to Jim, 8 months ago

Jim wrote:

crashpc wrote:

I´m not gonna argue that you´re not right. Because you are. You all are right. But you´ve seen something... I doubt that DPR falsificated those from G15, so there can be situations, when G1X is not better no matter what. I didn´t want to show that G15 is better, maybe those images looks like it is, I don´t mind and I believe it isn´t. My point was, that the decision between G1X and G15/G16 is healthy, valid, and has its logic. Those cams can get in situations, when it can show its specific kind of strenght over another cam. That´s all. That´s why recommended EOS DSLR for the same price instead of big compact cam. Focus speed is too important these days.

We all are disqualified of this decision, because ve have and love our cams. G1X vs G15 would be valid from someone (more people) who owns both for longer time.

I don't think that anyone is saying that the G15, G16 or G1X are bad cams. In good light, it doesn't matter which you use. In poor light it matters very much. This is where the G1X absolutely excels because you can crank the ISO way up and not denigrate image quality. So the choice is fairly clear....if you want more pocketability or desire to shoot macros fairly often, then the G15/G16 is the better choice. If you want higher image quality in good light AND low light situations then the G1X is the clear winner. Then there is the matter of price. The G16 and G1X aren't that different from a price standpoint but the G15 is cheaper these days. Those are the choices and only you can be the judge which combination of price performance is best for you.

Jim

That´s where I disagree.
Why one would crank up ISO? Well, propably because there is not enaugh light. So you HAVE TO crank it up. You don´t have to with smaller Gs... You don´t have to crank up ISO speed with G15. That´s it´s power. The same as Neo doesn´t have to run away, when they shoot at him. From what I see, I have exactly opposite opinion - where great contrast and lots of light is, G1X totally kicks butt. Once it goes dark, G15 kicks in :-). Is that Tea shot any worse at noise and sharpness than previous (foood) one from G1X series?

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

crashpc wrote

That´s where I disagree.
Why one would crank up ISO? Well, propably because there is not enaugh light. So you HAVE TO crank it up. You don´t have to with smaller Gs... You don´t have to crank up ISO speed with G15. That´s it´s power.

That sounds like an obvious truth.

The reality is that the telelens on the G1X imatches the prime on my Leica X1 and that the G1X sensor is superb , far better than Lumix m4/3 sensors let alone those in the G series.

Look beyond AF speed , Legacy viewfinder , no Macro , bulk and that the only effective continuous shooting is in High Speed Burst mode and what you have is a superb tool for creating 20x30 inch prints even in adverse lighting.

 tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to ckeek, 8 months ago

ckeek wrote:

Interested in your answer. Is the G1X capable of shooting the action pictures well such as using its Sports or Burst Mode?

Well here was a passing Gull taken by using the viewfinder to Pan the Shot

And here High Speed Burst let me choose which frame to use

 tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to choose btw G1 X ang G16?
In reply to tinpusher, 8 months ago

Wow this is exactly type of shot when I think G15/G16 would be nowhere near to G1X. Not the poor light scene argued.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads