New 5d MK3. BIF settings.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
m8ee
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
New 5d MK3. BIF settings.
9 months ago

Hi all.

I've just upgraded from a 60D to a 5D MK3 and weather permitting will be shooting some red kites on the weekend. I've got the 100-400L lens and was looking for any advice on best settings etc.

Thanks in advance and loving the new camera by the way.

m8ee's gear list:m8ee's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mikero
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Re: New 5d MK3. BIF settings.
In reply to m8ee, 9 months ago

Assuming your question relates to the very customisable autofocus, then there is some advice here.

So:

Tracking Sensitivity = -2

Acceleration/Deceleration = +2 (though I've seen other suggestions of +1)

AF Point Switching = +2

And I set AI Servo Image Priority to 'Focus'.  If it's not in focus I bin it anyway.

Does that answer your question?

Good luck with the Red Kites.  Where are you going for them?

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
m8ee
Like?
In reply to mikero, 9 months ago

Thanks Mike. That's "exactly" what I wanted.

Theres a few of us going up to Powys in mid Wales.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

mikero
Like?

Good luck with the Kites.  I stopped at Stokenchurch on the M40 last year and there were many flying, but the lighting was aweful so no photos to write home about.

Excellent camera BTW - I got my 5DIII back in August and am really impressed with it.

Mike

phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331
Like?

mikero wrote:

Good luck with the Kites. I stopped at Stokenchurch on the M40 last year and there were many flying, but the lighting was aweful so no photos to write home about.

Excellent camera BTW - I got my 5DIII back in August and am really impressed with it.

Mike

I live just a few miles from there. It is great to see the kites but a few have been hit by cars with the café being so close to the road. Also worry about the diet they are getting there.

Another decent spot to see them not far from Stokenchurch is here on the map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview?hl=en#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d782!2d-0.8438326!3d51.668774!2m1!1e3&fid=7

It is a children's playground but the houses over the road tend to put food out for the kites so if you sit in the playground on a good sunny afternoon you will get buzzed by them many times. A great little walk for afterwards with the camera, there is a footpath running down the side of those tennis courts then past the side of the cricket pitch into those woods. It is a steep climb down many steps to bottom lane. In the spring the fields down there are often filled with poppies and the woods full of birds. The climb back up is quite steep but well worth the effort.

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

mikero
Like?
In reply to phill104, 9 months ago

Thanks for the info Phill.  Red Kites have made a spectacular come back, haven't they.  I saw one over Chessington in Surrey back in the Summer.  Spectacular birds. 

Mike

James C. Murray
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?
Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 757
Like?

I spotted several today between Lambourne and The Seven Barrows. I got a couple of shots but they never really got close enough for a good shot. This is fairly heavily cropped.

mikero
Like?
In reply to James C. Murray, 9 months ago

James, that is indeed a very good explanation of what all the settings do, and essential reading to understand what's going on.  But all the description is set in the context of sports and not wildlife, let alone bird photography.  Very helpful posting, though some mental extrapolation is required.

Mike

m8ee
Like?

I

Interesting reading James. Thanks.

Now to try to decipher it all...lol.