EVF - XE1 vs. XE2?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
GringoMike
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
EVF - XE1 vs. XE2?
7 months ago

I am about to buy an X-E1 or X-E2. Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to get my hands on either camera in the country in which I am based, so I'll have to order (sight unseen) from the US. I have done extensive research online, which has given me answers to most of my questions--with the exception of one. Hopefully, one of you will be kind enough to give me a bit of information.

Here goes: When using manual focus, will the EVF keep up, or will there be a significant lag time? And, when using manual focus, is there a significant difference in EVF lag time between the X-E1 and X-E2?

I don't shoot sports, but do a good bit of documentary work, so I need something that will keep up when shooting on the fly. I will use AF when necessary, but prefer to focus manually.

At this point, I am leaning toward the X-E1 because I have read about an embedded sensor dust problem with some X-E2s (particularly those sold by Amazon).

Thanks in advance.

Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelevans/

GringoMike's gear list:GringoMike's gear list
Nikon D70 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,597Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF - XE1 vs. XE2?
In reply to GringoMike, 7 months ago

GringoMike wrote:

I am about to buy an X-E1 or X-E2. Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to get my hands on either camera in the country in which I am based, so I'll have to order (sight unseen) from the US. I have done extensive research online, which has given me answers to most of my questions--with the exception of one. Hopefully, one of you will be kind enough to give me a bit of information.

Here goes: When using manual focus, will the EVF keep up, or will there be a significant lag time? And, when using manual focus, is there a significant difference in EVF lag time between the X-E1 and X-E2?

I don't shoot sports, but do a good bit of documentary work, so I need something that will keep up when shooting on the fly. I will use AF when necessary, but prefer to focus manually.

At this point, I am leaning toward the X-E1 because I have read about an embedded sensor dust problem with some X-E2s (particularly those sold by Amazon).

Thanks in advance.

Mike

The sensor on my X-E2 is pristene.  I bought it at B&H.  Be sure to buy digital cameras from retailers that have a good return/exchange policy.

I found the EVF in the X-E–1 to be jerky in low light, but usable.  Try both cameras to decide.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Group4
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

I just picked up the X E2 and did try both cameras as well as an X Pro1. I am only using manual lenses and chose the X E2 because I found it is quick and responsive. I am used to Leica M cameras and it isn't the same but it is the next best thing. If on the ball, I can focus my X E2 manually quicker in low light than my X100S.

And apparently the improved refresh rate on the X E2 makes the EVF much more stable for viewing. Also, there is split image focus on the newer model.  It is a nice camera and worth a try.

ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?

I have both an x100s and X-E2. The x100s has a faster refreshing EVF than the X-E1 and I was completely fine with it till I just got my X-E2. The refresh rate of the X-E2 blows the X100s out of the water in low light. It's so much better than the 100s it's not even funny.

i love the digital split image for MF on both.  With the focus check feature on it zooms the split image to fill the frame as soon as you move the focus ring on the lens. Once you half press the shutter it goes back to full live view. If you have used a film SLR with the split image in the center of a micro prism ring this will feel much the same just with much greater coverage area of the image you are focusing on.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, 7 months ago

I haven't had a chance to try out an X-E2 yet, but with my X-E1 I do find that it can make manual focusing difficult at times. Generally it's fine, but in really low light or with a long (~300mm) lens it starts getting hairy.

I plan to get the X-E2 when finances permit mainly for the EVF and focusing aid improvements.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?

It was suggested recently that the latest firmware update had improved the EVF refresh rate with the X-E1. I don't know if it was that update or a previous one but I think it is true to say that it has improved. I did some tests with my Hektor 135 f4.5 in low light (about as challenging a setup as I could test) and at no time did I get the old stop-motion effect that was there at the X-E1's release in Nov 2012.

I shouldn't think the refresh rate is anywhere close to the Mk II processors of the X100S or X-E2, the hardware grunt isn't there, but I think Fuji have done what they can within the constraints.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

I recently bought an X-E1 from Fujifilm/Mexico. They matched the B&H price plus I.V.A. I am enjoying my X-E1 immensely and find it quite workable.

I don't know where you are but if you visit Oaxaca you're welcome to take photos with my X-E1 or if you visit Mexico City, Eduardo Izquierdo at Fujifilm/Mexico might be able to help you.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Brad Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454
Like?

EVF on the X-E1 does have a slower refresh rate than the X-E2 but that only becomes an issue if you are whipping the camera around from subject to subject shooting quickly with the EVF to your eye. It is more noticeable in lower light. In use I have only really noticed it when I have been switching back and forward between the X-E1 and a DSLR during some event photography I have shot. While it is there and there was room for improvement, I think that it is an issue that has been a bit overblown in the forums.  I don't normally notice anything when just shooting the fuji on its own.

If you takle a more studied approach to photography, line up the camera on subject, focus and then shoot, the lag is not an issue wither in AF or MF modes.

GringoMike wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Mike

-- hide signature --
racecar5150
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to Brad Morris, 7 months ago

apart from the refresh rate, the x-e1's focus peaking in the EVF doesn't seem to be very pronounced, making it difficult to use it sometimes. Is the x-e2 more noticable?

GringoMike
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

Thanks for the information, Sal. I live in Colombia and, unfortunately, I cannot find either camera in a shop here. I plan to buy from B&H as soon as I make a decision.

Thanks again,

Mike

GringoMike
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, 7 months ago

Thanks for the information, Scott. I shot with film cameras for over 25 years, so the split image focus screen is a plus.

GringoMike
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 7 months ago

Thanks for the information, LowRider.

GringoMike
Like?

Thanks for the info, Brad. I tend to focus and then shoot, so it sounds like either camera will work for me.

Brad Morris
Like?
In reply to racecar5150, 7 months ago

The peaking does not put coloured splotches all over the screen in the same way that Sony does with their peaking implementation. I think a lot of the complaints stem from some users expecting the fuji to look like what they think the Sony looks like with funky colours everywhere and that is just not the case.

The Fuji peaking slightly enhances the edges of the in focus areas only enough to make the in focus areas look more obviously focused on screen. The effectiveness will depend on EVF diopter adjustment and the quality of your eyesight.  Key is that you do need some high contrast edges for it to be really effective without the zoom in. The Zoom in is only a single click away for fine tuning or in situations where the contrast is not that high

I wear glasses for myopia -1.5/-2 and have astigmatism so my eyes are certainly not 20/20. I find that the peaking is usable on the X-E1 most of the time. without an additional accessory diopter, I would not be able to use the X-pro1 at all for manual focusing.

I believe that the X-E2 is pretty much the same as the X-e1 with regards the peaking feature

racecar5150 wrote:

apart from the refresh rate, the x-e1's focus peaking in the EVF doesn't seem to be very pronounced, making it difficult to use it sometimes. Is the x-e2 more noticable?

-- hide signature --
GringoMike
Like?

Thanks, Brad, this is most helpful. I have been shooting with a Nikon D70 for nearly 10 years, so I think either Fuji camera will be a big improvement.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,597Gear list
Like?

GringoMike wrote:

Thanks for the info, Brad. I tend to focus and then shoot, so it sounds like either camera will work for me.

I recently discovered the focus check feature for manual focus (off by default).  I use focus peaking, when I start to turn the focus ring the image automatically (and instantly) magnifies the image.  Touch the shutter button and the view returns to full view.  Very nice!

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Brad Morris
Like?
In reply to GringoMike, 6 months ago

One other thing that I have noticed is that there have beem complaints about the tone curve on the X-E2 as the colours look different to the X-E1.

I personally don't have an opinion one way or the other as I am only shooting RAW on X-E1 but it may be worth your while looking at jpeg samples of both cameras if Jpg is applicable to you.

GringoMike wrote:

Thanks, Brad, this is most helpful. I have been shooting with a Nikon D70 for nearly 10 years, so I think either Fuji camera will be a big improvement.

GringoMike
Like?
In reply to Brad Morris, 6 months ago

Thanks, Brad. I am aware of the tonal curve reports about the XE-2. I only shoot RAW, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

Mike

historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 795
Like?
In reply to GringoMike, 6 months ago

GringoMike wrote:

Thanks for the information, Sal. I live in Colombia and, unfortunately, I cannot find either camera in a shop here. I plan to buy from B&H as soon as I make a decision.

Thanks again,

Mike

good move. avoid Amazon at all costs, they have a habit of re-selling defective customer returns as new in box, hoping the consumer won't notice. That being said, when I returned the items, the replacements were DEF new in box.

Funny thing: this never happened until I got Prime membership.

Macintosh Sauce
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to historianx, 6 months ago

Then Amazon threatens you with closing your account, because you've made "too many returns." All because they send you defective crap. :-/

I had ordered the Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection DVD box set, and I can tell when something has been re-shrinkwrapped. The box looks worn and the shrinkwrap is broken and somewhat loose. Returning for replacement. Stuff like this really makes me angry, because it wastes my precious time.

Personally, I would be very wary of buying any digital camera and/or lens from Amazon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads