Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,578Gear list
Like?
Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.
11 months ago

Is Nikon grasping for straws with the Df?

A non-geek friend who is a fashion designer is enamored with the retro styling , and Nikon imaging reputation.

She wants to upgrade from a Canon S95 P&S.   Her choices are Nikon Df or possibly looking at Fuji X100s.

She will use for travel vacations , and social type photos.

The reason I ask is because she researched a couple of online photo review sites that said the Df is a dud:

Reason:

Too expensive@ $2800+.   Poor value for money spent.

Poor ergonomics.    Better to go with conventional Nikon DSLR (But she does not like the styling too much.)

Thanks for any advice I can recommend to her.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X100S Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Granofsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Df a dud? Friend wants to buy.
In reply to Len_Gee, 11 months ago

A Dud is in the eye of the beholder.

If she's looking for 'D4 sensor quality', then the camera is a bargain.

If she's looking for a deal, then look to the 610.

Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 11 months ago

Not going to say it's a dud,but if she wants a camera with video,pop-up flash,dual card slots maybe she should look elsewhere. Maybe the 610..  

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
newlens
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 11 months ago

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

If she's looking for a deal, then look to the 610.

Actually, if she is looking for a great deal, get a refurb (or mint) D600.  They are a bargain, IMHO.

newlens's gear list:newlens's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D610
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842
Like?
Well...

Len_Gee wrote:

A non-geek friend who is a fashion designer is enamored with the retro styling , and Nikon imaging reputation.

She wants to upgrade from a Canon S95 P&S. Her choices are Nikon Df or possibly looking at Fuji X100s.

The reason I ask is because she researched a couple of online photo review sites that said the Df is a dud:

Reason:

Too expensive@ $2800+. Poor value for money spent.

Poor ergonomics. Better to go with conventional Nikon DSLR (But she does not like the styling too much.)

Given her lack of background in photography, her intended use, and cost, I would say that if she were my friend I would advise her to buy an X100s. Super image quality, retro style and fairly simple operation at half the price of a Df.

If she insists on a DSLR, and doesn't mind modern looks then she might be better served at looking at a D3200 kit. Just my two cents, but why would someone with no experience want to drop $2000-$3000+ on a FX DSLR? but then maybe she is considering it to be a Fashion statement.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659Gear list
Like?
Not a dud.
In reply to newlens, 11 months ago

I like the design, and the technology behind it is top almost.

I carried an x100s every day for six months, it made great images, but in the end, it was too slow for my style.

I've replaced it with a Dƒ as I have lots of Nikon lenses, and I wanted something smaller and classic. I really love it, having written reviews both here and on my blog, but it is NOT a good deal at nearly $3000, except the sensor, which is the same as the D4 (top level pro camera that costs twice as much). It's not at all as small as the x100s, but it's just much faster in all aspects of photography: starting, focusing, processing, shooting.

Image quality of the Dƒ is better, especially in low light. The focusing system is a step down from the professional cameras, but more than adequate (again, lots better than the x100s).

Size and price: x100s wins
Features, speed and image quality: Dƒ
Design: Salt and pepper to taste

They both look good, but the x100s feels cheaper in some ways. The Dƒ is not too heavy, and I think some people take that to feel cheap, but I consider it a benefit. The finish of the metal parts of the x100s and Dƒ are very similar, but once one looks at details, the Dƒ comes out on top. The x100s top knobs are a bit more polished from the usability standpoint, i.e. how to set shutter speed and aperture. From the back, controls and menu, the Dƒ wins hands down for quality feel and logic.

And don't forget, the x100s will never have another lens, with the Dƒ, you can use the whole stable of Nikon glass.

Neither of these are beginner cameras, and will take some learning.  The x100s may be a tiny bit simpler in overall operation for beginners, if that's important to you.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
What do you want to hear?

Len_Gee wrote:

She wants to upgrade from a Canon S95 P&S. Her choices are Nikon Df or possibly looking at Fuji X100s.

Quite a jump from the S95. If she wants a DSLR, an entry level Canon would still do far more than the S95 at a fraction of the price of a full frame DSLR.

Reason:

True. So what?

Poor ergonomics. Better to go with conventional Nikon DSLR (But she does not like the styling too much.)

Entry level EOS. Big jump in IQ while still not as intimidating as a "big gun".

-- hide signature --

aka Pedro Valente

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,788
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

X100s is a great camera for hobbyist, but would be a poor camera for a newcomer, if for no other reason than 35mm is a hard FOV to use correctly. In the hands of novice it could lead to all sorts of undesirable composition for portraits.

Reason:

I wouldn't call Df a dud, but these two reasons are fairly commonly accepted, albeit not universally.

People buy Df for its styling, extra 1/3 for stylez isnt really too much if you make a living in the fashion industry.

ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you want to hear?
In reply to Poweruser, 11 months ago

I have both of these cameras, the x100 and the DF. I think that from the information that you have provided, that she doesn't seem to have much experience with cameras. Both of these cameras are for more advanced amateurs or professionals. They are not cameras for beginners, and to appreciate them you need to have some understanding of the basics of photography as well as a need for high quality files.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,489Gear list
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to Mr Gadget, 11 months ago

Mr Gadget wrote: (snip)

If she insists on a DSLR, and doesn't mind modern looks then she might be better served at looking at a D3200 kit. Just my two cents, but why would someone with no experience want to drop $2000-$3000+ on a FX DSLR? but then maybe she is considering it to be a Fashion statement.

The D5300 is much better camera than the D3200 — I used to own one — but I think the Df would have been my first choice for an upgrade (I got myself a D600, as the Df wasn't around yet).

Steve Huff writes than the image quality of the DF is the best he have seen, ever, not least in low light situations. So while it isn't the fastest camera in town, it is pretty impressive!

Your friend could do much worse than buy a DF, and I bet it will fetch a good price on the used market!

The lenses I recommend is the Sigma 35/1.4, and the Nikkor 85/1.8G, and then the lens that comes with the Df, that would be just fine!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +25 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?

So what doesn't the S95 do for her? It strikes me that neither the Df nor the X100S would be adequate replacements. She currently owns a stealth snap shooter with a modest zoom and manual control (but does she use it that way or on P?) She needs to put her camera choices in her hand. is she going for ooh shiny or improved photo quality? Another Canon or a one-inch sensor point and shoot like the Sony with a modest zoom may suit her better.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Len_Gee
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

Reason:

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Just wanted to mention she is more of a fashionista, and concerned about how she would look with a cool retro-like camera when she is attending social events.

She's in her 20's and never shot film but thinks the Df looks like an old film Nikon F (?), and Fuji X100 look like Leica M3 (?). To her, both look "cool".

Maybe Fuji X100 is more suitable since it is cheaper than Df? I sirmise she doesn't know the difference would be since Df has better IQ than X100.

But she also expressed going further in the future with photography.

And yes, she is in the Fashion industry.  

Regards.

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Mannequins Approve Of The Df

Downtown mannequins everywhere are discussing the new Df. No serious fashionista should be without one.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
CeleryBeats
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?

I'll answer very honestly! The DF is not a dud.

It is good looking, not as big as people might think, feels really good in the hand and has nice controls.

AF is GOOD. Some people might clame otherwise. My honest view is that AF is capable and fast even in low light. Image quality is great as everyone knows.

Controls feel a bit plasticky and on the cheaper side, imo. Price is very high.

That brings me to my honest conclusion. I would from my deepest honest heart recommend the Fuji X100S to your friend for the type of shooting she'll be doing.

Why? Because it is almost 1/3 of the price, is more/very compact, has a great EVF that can be very usefull in many situations, amazing lens and has amazing image quality even compared to the DF/D4. Shooting social means people means needing great skintones and i believe fuji has an edge on any brand here. They are absolutely marvelous at that. AF is adequate, ergonomics great and the same external control flexibility like a DF.

Overall the fuji really is the more flexible and logical camera for what she is looking for imo.

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Sony RX100 II Pentax K-5 +4 more
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to CeleryBeats, 11 months ago

If your friend is a designer he needs an inspiring camera. From the design point of view his choices are the Nikon DF, the Olympus E P5 or a Leica M.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Len_Gee
Like?
Re: Mannequins Approve Of The Df
In reply to Alpha Tech, 11 months ago

Alpha Tech wrote:

Downtown mannequins everywhere are discussing the new Df. No serious fashionista should be without one.

Yes.

Rachel has blue streaks in her hair.

HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

I think the camera could be a little better for what it costs or could cost a little less.

But it’s a unique design, and so the costs is hard to reason for everyone in that respect especially.

There are no duds among the new cameras. Duds are among us who use them.

Reason:

It may well be the best camera she will ever have. It may well be the best camera line ever for her. It may well be one of her best friends in life. It may open doors for her she never knew about.

Go back then to her and ask about 'poor value' you read on the web; she may give you a long strange look.

and she may as well make a bad experience with it.

I'd say let her see them in flesh or at least some comparisons

http://j.mp/1cpehgq

One is smaller, less expensive, with 35mm equiv. lens, a fantastic tool; the other is a whole Nikon system, fantastic tool.

Ask her what she likes more.

-- hide signature --
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,269
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, 11 months ago

Alpha Tech wrote:

...that may very well be the case, but...

...what does this image proof other than you have some WB problems? Probably because you have used AWB that there is a yellow cast in the image, same as every other Nikon I know of is taking. No camera is perfect in AWB and the Df is no exception in this light.

Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 11 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

...that may very well be the case, but...

...what does this image proof other than you have some WB problems? Probably because you have used AWB that there is a yellow cast in the image, same as every other Nikon I know of is taking. No camera is perfect in AWB and the Df is no exception in this light.

WRONG.

This image captured the soft light in the way it was intended for the downtown display. I am NOT going to alter it for you or anyone else.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,269
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

No, but Nikon made a camera many wanted. A retro style niche camera for people who are interested in the design more than in the camera.

From the S95 I believe everything is an upgrade. I think a DSLR might be a huge step for her, but I might be wrong.

Why not a mirrorless? Lighter, cheaper and many ways better for those purposes and they are also MILES ahead of the S95.

Reason:

Yes, the Df is far too expensive for what it does. She should wait until the summer, I think the prices will drop like a brick.

Yes, in my opinion a proper DSLR has better ergonomics but if she wants o buy the best looking DSLR then the Df is the right camera. On the other hand, she sounds like she will need a pop-up flash now and then and the Df has none...

Make her buy a mirrorless camera, I think that is the best for her. Good luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads