Started 9 months ago | Discussions
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,035
Like?
Re: Deciding to buy a GX7 over an E-M1
In reply to Ricky JJ, 9 months ago

Ricky JJ wrote:

Hello!

This month I decided it's finally time to upgrade my GH2.
I was set to buy either the GX7 or the E-M1. I spent a few days pouring over reviews, and finally decided to buy the GX7.
This is what made me decide:
Bypassing the super hype for the E-M1, I couldn't find enough differences in IQ and features to justify the price difference. I payed $728 on the GX7 body, while the E-M1 was $1400. With the price difference, I was able to buy a nice lens (The Pana 25mm 1.4) and still have leftover money.

From what I gathered, the image quality and low light performance is pretty much the same. The E-M1 has in body stabilization (which the Gx7 also has, though not as good) and weather sealing, while the GX7 is more compact and does better video (something I value).

Am I wrong? Do you think I made a good decision?? I couldn't find anything that really justifies an almost 700 dollar price difference, and the GX7 still seems like an awesome camera for my needs!

GX7 works for me.

Wonderful camera in just about all ways....its sensor may not be the best availble (compared to state of the art FF and apsc) but it is still far better than needed.

The GX7 does have its issues but I like it much more than my A7 for instance (the A7 IS a very nice camera too).     I suspect Iwill like the results from the A7 more in low light but for use with AF lenses the GX7 will be more for day to day use.....GX7 is also fun with fast Canon FD lenses.

The GX7 does af in much lower light than just about anything else.....pity the metering is the same as most others.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
In reply to pannyics, 9 months ago

pannyics wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

pannyics wrote:

WAlso, I like all the customisable buttons the E-M1 offers; really help make the processes much faster and easier.

Doesn't the GX7 and even the G6 have more customisable buttons than the E-M1?

-- hide signature --

Doubtful, EM1 has 6, fn1, fn2, record, front1, front2, AEL/AFL, plus you can set the 4-way controller to be custom buttons too, so that's what 10? And the 2x2 lever system gives you even more if you need it. All that before you even consider the fixed function buttons for drive/time/hdr, and af/metering.

The GH3 comes close in terms of physical controls, but I think the EM1 still has more.

Apologies then, I've just counted them on the G6 and it's 8. What I can't do is customise the 4-way controller, now that would be nice. Oh no, I now have customizable button envy.

-- hide signature --

Honestly the EM-1 has so many customize-able buttons that I have trouble assigning useful functions to them all. But then I shoot in raw so the color creator, highlight/shadow adjustment, etc is useless to me.

Also there is no option to assign a button to spot metering toggle, now that I would really like, a physical switch for it like my A900 would be even better.

You could set spot metering to one of the Mysets and assign THAT to a button.
--
Follow me on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692550@N07/

Oh thats an interesting idea. Is there a way to save a single function to a myset?

I was under the impression that saving to a myset would save all of the current settings.

edit: I just tried it an it works, but it saves all settings too so, if I had +1.3 exposure comp and then hit the spot meter myset button it resets it back to 0. Unforunate, as this seems really clever.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,042Gear list
Like?

pannyics wrote:

JYPfoto wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

Don't forget one of the most dominating "features" of the GX7 over any other camera on the market, the ability to AF in as low as -4EV. I have searched high and low, the best competition i can find is Pentax with the K3/5II and the Canon 6D, all having -3 ratings. Oddly enough, DPR fails to mention anything about this unless i somehow missed it in their review. One would think the best low light AF on the market might garner a mention?

It's a nice feature, but one has to wonder, if you're going to AF in a low light situation like that and it goes down to -4EV, wouldn't that result in a shot that's high ISO, like ISO6400 since the light is that low?

Well you could be shooting long exposures.

-- hide signature --

Or flash. With a superb 1/320 sync, i plan on using flash often. Will likely buy a metz unit with the body when i get mine.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 9 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

The reason to buy an E-M1 is not superior IQ, but superior ergonomics, view finder, and performance (i.e. image buffer). To me that money would have been well spent.

AND - you get a free hump.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

pannyics
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

pannyics wrote:

WAlso, I like all the customisable buttons the E-M1 offers; really help make the processes much faster and easier.

Doesn't the GX7 and even the G6 have more customisable buttons than the E-M1?

-- hide signature --

Doubtful, EM1 has 6, fn1, fn2, record, front1, front2, AEL/AFL, plus you can set the 4-way controller to be custom buttons too, so that's what 10? And the 2x2 lever system gives you even more if you need it. All that before you even consider the fixed function buttons for drive/time/hdr, and af/metering.

The GH3 comes close in terms of physical controls, but I think the EM1 still has more.

Apologies then, I've just counted them on the G6 and it's 8. What I can't do is customise the 4-way controller, now that would be nice. Oh no, I now have customizable button envy.

-- hide signature --

Honestly the EM-1 has so many customize-able buttons that I have trouble assigning useful functions to them all. But then I shoot in raw so the color creator, highlight/shadow adjustment, etc is useless to me.

Also there is no option to assign a button to spot metering toggle, now that I would really like, a physical switch for it like my A900 would be even better.

You could set spot metering to one of the Mysets and assign THAT to a button.
--

There's also another way. Go to the "E" setting menu (Exp/Metering/ISO) and go down to the 9th menu (AEL metering) and change to spot. That would activate spot metering and also lock the AE.
--

pannyics's gear list:pannyics's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
Of course you are not wrong
In reply to Ricky JJ, 9 months ago

Ricky JJ wrote:

Am I wrong? Do you think I made a good decision?? I couldn't find anything that really justifies an almost 700 dollar price difference, and the GX7 still seems like an awesome camera for my needs!

Ricky, you bought a camera that suits your needs, and you paid the price you wanted to pay for it. This can never be a wrong decision, no matter what suits me, or anyone else on the forum.

It all comes down to the features and capabilities that work best for you. Someone else could have easily made the reverse decision, and it would have been the right decision for them.

Enjoy your new camera in the New Year!

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
snack
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: It's all about what works for YOU
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 9 months ago

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

for ME the EM1 was an easy decision. I had a EM5 before and while I fully recognize the quality capabilities of the Panny line the EM1 was a more "professional" tool with which I can do what I need to when called upon for a paid job. The GX7 to me is a fine tool for travel and personal use with little left wanting. The feature set, build and EVF and IBIS of the EM1 DO warrant the price in comparison. It's more a matter of whether it is a value to YOU. I'm not sorry I anted up for the 12-40 f2.8 to go with it as well. Makes for a fine no compromise professional tool. I'm glad you're GX7 is all you asked for. That's what a good personal decision is all about.

A more professional tool?

This nonsense cracks me up.  Just about any camera on the market today can be used professionally.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads