A few from the Df...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,047Gear list
Like?
A few from the Df...
10 months ago

I find the Df to be truly remarkable camera - relatively small, light, very responsive and with superb IQ in low light.  It has become my favorite camera and an extension of my self already.  Your mileage may vary, as the EPA puts it…

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you all.  May 2014 bring us all great light, thought with the Df, that can be very low light!

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
Re: A few from the Df...
In reply to RaajS, 10 months ago

Great shots.  Sounds like you're enjoying yours as much as I!

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,639Gear list
Like?

It's an amazing little camera isn't it? Rarely have I had so much fun using a camera.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 10 months ago

I just went out with mine a few minutes ago just before midnight. I'm in a small town where my wife was born. It's called St-Élie-de-Caxton in Québec. The temperature is minus 22 celsius. I took some pictures of the church lit up for Christmas, and people entering the church. A bit cold for my hands holding the camera.  I will try and post a few pictures when I get back home in a few days.

Merry Christmas!

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
LBlack
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?

Nice work. Nice to have a camera that encourages shooting and rewards the effort.

-- hide signature --
RaajS
Like?

Thank you all for your comments.

InTheMist:  Appreciate your kind comments.  I am indeed enjoying the camera!

Simon: Totally in agreement.  The Df makes me want to shoot and is easy for me to carry around when I travel.

Ravduc:  Definitely looking forward to your images.

Lorne: Couldn't agree more!  Thank you.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Rolf_52
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

Beautiful series….thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas...

Rolf

PS my first impressions of DF is similar to yours

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52772455

Rolf_52's gear list:Rolf_52's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800E Nikon Df Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | S
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466Gear list
Like?

Raaj, a wonderful series!

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
RaajS
Like?
In reply to Rolf_52, 10 months ago

Rolf_52 wrote:

Beautiful series….thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas...

Rolf

PS my first impressions of DF is similar to yours

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52772455

Thanks, Rolf.  Merry Christmas to you too.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to sunhorse, 10 months ago

sunhorse wrote:

Raaj, a wonderful series!

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

Thank you, Ramesh!  Trust you & family are well.  Merry Christmas!

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Sunnyjim
Contributing MemberPosts: 834Gear list
Like?

Hi RaajS, very nice B&W images. Did your camera ever hesitate to focus during the night shots?

Thank you,

Bob

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Daniel74
Contributing MemberPosts: 716Gear list
Like?

Lovely images, Raaj - thank you for sharing!

I especially liked the #4, 5 (all B&W conversions are great but these compositions grabbed me the most) and I am a sucker for a skyline like #7 and 9!

I am intrigued by the Df but will stay disciplined! Trying to shoot more film these days.

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Schneider PC-Super-Angulon 28mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 +2 more
JOHN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,100Gear list
Like?

Hi,

May I ask ware these lovely shots are taken.

Regards John. UK.

RaajS
Like?
In reply to Sunnyjim, 10 months ago

Sunnyjim wrote:

Hi RaajS, very nice B&W images. Did your camera ever hesitate to focus during the night shots?

Thank you,

Bob

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

Thanks, Bob.  No, I find the Df focus to be blindingly fast with the "kit" 50/1.8.  I initially did not want to buy the kit as I didn't need another 50mm lens, but no regrets - AF is very, very fast even in low light.  the only time AF hunted a bit was when I was trying to focus in near darkness.  I've only used the 50/1.4 in AF mode so far, the rest being older AI & AIS MF lenses.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to Daniel74, 10 months ago

Daniel74 wrote:

Lovely images, Raaj - thank you for sharing!

I especially liked the #4, 5 (all B&W conversions are great but these compositions grabbed me the most) and I am a sucker for a skyline like #7 and 9!

I am intrigued by the Df but will stay disciplined! Trying to shoot more film these days.

Thanks, Daniel.  Did Santa get you any exotic glass? Knowing you, he probably did...

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
In reply to JOHN, 10 months ago

JOHN wrote:

Hi,

May I ask ware these lovely shots are taken.

Regards John. UK.

Thanks, John.  #s 1-5 are from Boston.  The rest were shot in Atlanta.

cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?

RaajS has asked for my critique, please don't shoot me.

RaajS wrote:

Nice. The chained up bicycle is bright, white and demanding my attention. It does set the scene along with the hydrant in a city, though, so it helps describe a setting. The feeling I get is one of disparate social status. The lone(ly) gentleman outside the restaurant is the main subject. He is walking uphill. It is wet and he might have had to walk through the rain. I love the diagonal lines in the lower left and the front of the building. His hair unkempt in contrast to the two gentlemen eating inside. The lights on the wall behind them suggest halos. In any case they appear warm and well fed, enjoying each others' company. The two windows give good symmetry and balance to the image. The decisive moment has been well timed with the subject between the hydrant and the bike. The lines on the front of the building serve well to lead the viewer between those inside and those outside.

Love it!

Words in photographs must be meaningful. They are extremely powerful, no matter how small. I don't know the Beantown Pub. This photo is less interesting than the first. I want to know what is happening, but the car on the right and the people seem to be quite random. The composition is good. You have done well to keep your verticals parallel. The rounded street corner and its cracks are interesting and lend good support to the bottom of the frame. I enjoy the top half of the frame as well. The church (?) steeple on the right is interesting and you've done well to get the tones where they should be. I think if the two people in the middle of the frame weren't there, it would be much more interesting. Most lines lead to, and frame them, and they are just not that interesting.

Again, great vertical lines give this scene a powerful feeling. The backlit smoke is indeed interesting. I find myself attracted to food vendors at night for this type of shot (and a snack). I would wonder if you could have crossed the street and shot this from the other side. The "Omni Parker House" and the truck in the lower right are not as interesting as the steam / smoke. The street lamps on the left are more interesting and might have been given more emphasis from a different angle (closer?)

Fantastic! Great leading lines at the bottom of the frame! The bullseye of tones is beautiful. Quiet streetscape late at night. Moody. My only suggestion is the poster / advertisement (?) one the left edge of the frame could be darkened in post. It is bright and has a face on it. Could probably be cropped. Watch your verticals on this one. The right hand side shows a leaning building and this clean shot deserves to be geometrically clean as well. A tilt shift lens could be of use here.

Good geometry. Well exposed. The subject is not clear (end of the day?) Parking garage.

Good. Not sure about the need for super high contrast on this one. The foreground looks interesting, but might be a bit hidden in shadow. I am also not a big fan of framing with a tree branch in the top of the frame. This image is strong enough without it.

Again, well composed and exposed. This is an image that needs to be vied large to appreciate. Everything is "happening" in the lower left and lower 1/4 of the frame. The top 3/4 is beautiful and gives good support. Great sky and matched exposure of the street lights (I am assuming this is not a composite)

Wow! Excellent image. Beautiful cityscape. The street is well positioned to lead the viewer into the photo and invites travel through the detail offered. Great sky, exposed / processed perfectly.

My least favorite. The buildings feel kneecapped. The "equitable" is distracting. The sky is nice, but that is not enough for me to want to hand around this one.

You have a great eye for this kind of photography. Your compositions are interesting and your technical ability is obvious. Keep up the great work and keep sharing.

Do you ever print large? The second to last image would look great 20x30 in a nice heavy black frame / 4" eggshell white matte.

Thanks for sharing.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743Gear list
Like?
Agree

under low  light the Df is king !

Good images, Thanks for sharing!

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
RaajS
Like?
Thank you, Big!
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

Thank you so much!  Your feedback/critique is very valuable to me as it will definitely help me become a better photographer.  I much appreciate your willingness to help and getting the benefit of your knowledge and skill.  All your comments are spot on and there is much learning for me here.  Thanks again!

Warm Regards,

-raaj

bigpigbig wrote:

RaajS has asked for my critique, please don't shoot me.

RaajS wrote:

Nice. The chained up bicycle is bright, white and demanding my attention. It does set the scene along with the hydrant in a city, though, so it helps describe a setting. The feeling I get is one of disparate social status. The lone(ly) gentleman outside the restaurant is the main subject. He is walking uphill. It is wet and he might have had to walk through the rain. I love the diagonal lines in the lower left and the front of the building. His hair unkempt in contrast to the two gentlemen eating inside. The lights on the wall behind them suggest halos. In any case they appear warm and well fed, enjoying each others' company. The two windows give good symmetry and balance to the image. The decisive moment has been well timed with the subject between the hydrant and the bike. The lines on the front of the building serve well to lead the viewer between those inside and those outside.

Love it!

Words in photographs must be meaningful. They are extremely powerful, no matter how small. I don't know the Beantown Pub. This photo is less interesting than the first. I want to know what is happening, but the car on the right and the people seem to be quite random. The composition is good. You have done well to keep your verticals parallel. The rounded street corner and its cracks are interesting and lend good support to the bottom of the frame. I enjoy the top half of the frame as well. The church (?) steeple on the right is interesting and you've done well to get the tones where they should be. I think if the two people in the middle of the frame weren't there, it would be much more interesting. Most lines lead to, and frame them, and they are just not that interesting.

Again, great vertical lines give this scene a powerful feeling. The backlit smoke is indeed interesting. I find myself attracted to food vendors at night for this type of shot (and a snack). I would wonder if you could have crossed the street and shot this from the other side. The "Omni Parker House" and the truck in the lower right are not as interesting as the steam / smoke. The street lamps on the left are more interesting and might have been given more emphasis from a different angle (closer?)

Fantastic! Great leading lines at the bottom of the frame! The bullseye of tones is beautiful. Quiet streetscape late at night. Moody. My only suggestion is the poster / advertisement (?) one the left edge of the frame could be darkened in post. It is bright and has a face on it. Could probably be cropped. Watch your verticals on this one. The right hand side shows a leaning building and this clean shot deserves to be geometrically clean as well. A tilt shift lens could be of use here.

Good geometry. Well exposed. The subject is not clear (end of the day?) Parking garage.

Good. Not sure about the need for super high contrast on this one. The foreground looks interesting, but might be a bit hidden in shadow. I am also not a big fan of framing with a tree branch in the top of the frame. This image is strong enough without it.

Again, well composed and exposed. This is an image that needs to be vied large to appreciate. Everything is "happening" in the lower left and lower 1/4 of the frame. The top 3/4 is beautiful and gives good support. Great sky and matched exposure of the street lights (I am assuming this is not a composite)

Wow! Excellent image. Beautiful cityscape. The street is well positioned to lead the viewer into the photo and invites travel through the detail offered. Great sky, exposed / processed perfectly.

My least favorite. The buildings feel kneecapped. The "equitable" is distracting. The sky is nice, but that is not enough for me to want to hand around this one.

You have a great eye for this kind of photography. Your compositions are interesting and your technical ability is obvious. Keep up the great work and keep sharing.

Do you ever print large? The second to last image would look great 20x30 in a nice heavy black frame / 4" eggshell white matte.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

RaajS
Like?
Re: Agree
In reply to dv312, 10 months ago

dv312 wrote:

under low light the Df is king !

Good images, Thanks for sharing!

Under low light the Df definitely shines.  Thanks much for your comments.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads