Amazon Xmas a day early

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
barkingghost
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Amazon Xmas a day early
7 months ago

Ordered it early morning yesterday, paid the $16 2-Day delivery and it just arrived! Canon 5D MkIII. Charging battery (no charge on it). Like a newbie, I should have ordered some additional memory cards. Such an amateur.

I did step out to Bad Buy yesterday to get the 40/f2.8 pancake for testing. I'll need to get comfortable with this camera, and the Canon experience as I've been in Nikon since the 80's.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
f8f8f8
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Amazon Xmas a day early
In reply to barkingghost, 7 months ago

Enjoy your gift! I switched from Minolta/Sony to Canon this summer with my purchase of the 5D MIII. It is a superb camera. If I miss a shot, it wasn't the camera's fault. I just posted a tip of how to avoid closed eyes due to the flash pre-flash on this forum. You have many great photographic experiences ahead with that camera. Read everything you can about it for its capabilities seem to go on forever.

f8f8f8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,639Gear list
Like?

barkingghost wrote:

Ordered it early morning yesterday, paid the $16 2-Day delivery and it just arrived! Canon 5D MkIII. Charging battery (no charge on it). Like a newbie, I should have ordered some additional memory cards. Such an amateur.

I did step out to Bad Buy yesterday to get the 40/f2.8 pancake for testing. I'll need to get comfortable with this camera, and the Canon experience as I've been in Nikon since the 80's.

The Canon experience. Well...you'll find some differences with the Nikon experience, that's for sure.

I own several cameras including the 5D3 and D800E which I usually mount with lenses of different FLs to limit lens changes in the field (among other reasons). Almost every time I handle one or the other brand, I am reminded of the differences in how a function is executed by each brand. I would say, on the small stuff, Nikon nudges out Canon for the more photographer friendly implementations. Canon beats Nikon handily for Live View and rear LCD visibility.

On the major stuff, AF & fps vs resolution, neither company has both though I do not find the D800's AF inferior in any way.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
barkingghost
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, 7 months ago

I spent some time reading through the manual yesterday. Learning how things are done in Canon and the UI. Being that I have read a bunch over the year in the Nikon FX forum I have grown accustomed to the expectation I should be checking certain things as soon as I get the new body.

Are there any potential problems issues I should be checking for on the 5D MkIII?

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?

barkingghost wrote:

Ordered it early morning yesterday, paid the $16 2-Day delivery and it just arrived!

If you sign up for Amazon Prime, $80 per year, you get free 2 day shipping on all items sold or fulfulled by Amazon, plus access to 10,000s of movies and TV shows from Amazon Instant video for no extra charge.  By paying $16 for 2 day shipping you've already paid for 20% of Amazon Prime's membership fee.

barkingghost
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, 7 months ago

RedFox88 wrote:

barkingghost wrote:

Ordered it early morning yesterday, paid the $16 2-Day delivery and it just arrived!

If you sign up for Amazon Prime, $80 per year, you get free 2 day shipping on all items sold or fulfulled by Amazon, plus access to 10,000s of movies and TV shows from Amazon Instant video for no extra charge. By paying $16 for 2 day shipping you've already paid for 20% of Amazon Prime's membership fee.

Believe me, I knew this already. I've known of this for a while and was just lazy in enrolling. But keep in mind this was a wife's maneuver to make the sudden purchase. We didn't expect it on or before Xmas as we've learn to be patient. It just was surprising, but then we discovered the particular warehouse was also in Georgia (we live outside Atlanta).

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, 7 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

I do not find the D800's AF inferior in any way.

5D3 AF has a smaller standard deviation with lenses made starting the second half of 2010. See the LensRentals study. This is why I no longer buy older lenses.

Other pluses for Canon are superior skin tones and radio flash. For Nikon it used to be DR and resolution, but now  the D800e sensor is also available on Sony. No system is perfect. Nikon is better for landscapes, Canon is better for people, but Canon does landscapes fine too and thus wins as more universal.

The reason I returned my D800 was the unusable LiveView. To me the best use of D800 would be with MF lenses like Zeiss Distagon 21mm for landscapes. This would require a good implementation of LV that D800 does not have. Now with the same sensor available on Sony, Nikon is no longer an option for me as a second system in addition to Canon.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads