Living a Dream !

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Abhinav Sah
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Living a Dream !
7 months ago

Iceland as a place is not too popular with Indian tourists but luck played a part and we ended up doing a 12 day road trip to this heaven. I am sharing my entire journey day wise .. it will be a 12 part update

Used the super awesome Nikon D800 with Nikon 24-70, Nikon 70-200 and a Sigma 15.

http://knotinfocus.in/blog/iceland-road-trip-travel-photography-knot-in-focus/

Cheers

Abhinav

Abhinav Sah's gear list:Abhinav Sah's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
Re: Living a Dream !
In reply to Abhinav Sah, 7 months ago

What a great start to a very interesting travelogue. I think Iceland should be on my list of destinations. Your photos are very compelling. Thanks for bringing us along! I look forward to the upcoming days.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I particularly like the photo of the horses rendered aglow by frontlighting.

Is it true that the skies are now perpetually grey in Mumbai? Of course, Delhi is worse and close on the heels of Shanghai with the sun rendered an insubstantial pale red orb floating amidst a soup of smog.

And what of the traffic--that nightmarish mainstay of the dystopian metropolis that has all but engulfed the populace in a smothering cocoon of cacophony so much so that to survive entails growing an inch thick callous that inescapably fosters a growing sense of apathy and malcontent. Is this the "India Poised" to which Indians have aspired or is Amitabh Bachchan merely dreaming a dream of delusions of grandeur?

Mumbai has many things going for it, but the spent condoms and broken needles on Juhu beach are not one of them. If the corruption and bureaucracy don't kill you today, the cancer will do that tomorrow. All's well that end's well in the denoument to this play.

I suppose just about any other place would be heaven by comparison, the land of fire and ice or otherwise. Might it be said of this travelogue that it is "A Chronicle on Escapism?"

DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?
In reply to wisep01, 7 months ago

I've been there last year's fall. It's a paradise for photographers.

Two quick photography tips:

a) Wind is surprisingly powerful, especially near the sea. Take that into consideration (secure tripod; if handheld, add a stop of shutter speed to your 1/focal length rule)

b) when photographing near geysers or other...steamy places, always wipe the front of the lens with a fabric (intended for lens cleaning). Do NOT let the lens dry by itself. The steam contains sulphur, which if it dries on the lens, it might leave traces - which might scratch the lens if you attempt to remove)

And a tip about safety:

NEVER, NEVER go too close to the water on an exposed beach - the most notorious example is Reynisdrangar. Every few waves, there might come a much bigger one and suck you back in. Quite a few tourists have drowned like that.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, 7 months ago

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

I've been there last year's fall. It's a paradise for photographers.

Two quick photography tips:

a) Wind is surprisingly powerful, especially near the sea. Take that into consideration (secure tripod; if handheld, add a stop of shutter speed to your 1/focal length rule)

b) when photographing near geysers or other...steamy places, always wipe the front of the lens with a fabric (intended for lens cleaning). Do NOT let the lens dry by itself. The steam contains sulphur, which if it dries on the lens, it might leave traces - which might scratch the lens if you attempt to remove)

And a tip about safety:

NEVER, NEVER go too close to the water on an exposed beach - the most notorious example is Reynisdrangar. Every few waves, there might come a much bigger one and suck you back in. Quite a few tourists have drowned like that.

-- hide signature --

Amateur Nikon

Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

On the subject of safety, what about trolls? I hear that parts of Iceland and Scandanavia are still home to these creatures. Saw that movie Trollhunter--the trolls were alive and well in Norway.

On a more serious note, though, that sulfur-mist, while not entirely surprising does make me wonder what pathophysiology results when sulfur coats one's lungs.

DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?

wisep01 wrote:

On the subject of safety, what about trolls? I hear that parts of Iceland and Scandanavia are still home to these creatures. Saw that movie Trollhunter--the trolls were alive and well in Norway.

Actually, Icelanders believe in trolls - many of them seriously

On a more serious note, though, that sulfur-mist, while not entirely surprising does make me wonder what pathophysiology results when sulfur coats one's lungs.

I hadn't thought of that, to be honest. But it can't be worse than living in a city like Beijing or Mexico City...

-- hide signature --

Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Abhinav Sah
Like?
In reply to AWG_Pics, 7 months ago

AWG_Pics wrote:

What a great start to a very interesting travelogue. I think Iceland should be on my list of destinations. Your photos are very compelling. Thanks for bringing us along! I look forward to the upcoming days.

Thanks There is so much to share .. and the journey was as exciting as the place .. updates will follow soon

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Abhinav Sah
Like?

wisep01 wrote:

I particularly like the photo of the horses rendered aglow by frontlighting.

Thanks.. this one is my personal fav too and is going up on my wall (30x20 canvas) soon...

Is it true that the skies are now perpetually grey in Mumbai? Of course, Delhi is worse and close on the heels of Shanghai with the sun rendered an insubstantial pale red orb floating amidst a soup of smog.

Depends on weather and time of the year... its full of smog as I write, with dull grey skies... but it can get really beautiful also.. see the images below taken from my bedroom window..all three at different time of the year

And what of the traffic--that nightmarish mainstay of the dystopian metropolis that has all but engulfed the populace in a smothering cocoon of cacophony so much so that to survive entails growing an inch thick callous that inescapably fosters a growing sense of apathy and malcontent. Is this the "India Poised" to which Indians have aspired or is Amitabh Bachchan merely dreaming a dream of delusions of grandeur?

Mumbai has many things going for it, but the spent condoms and broken needles on Juhu beach are not one of them. If the corruption and bureaucracy don't kill you today, the cancer will do that tomorrow. All's well that end's well in the denoument to this play.

I suppose just about any other place would be heaven by comparison, the land of fire and ice or otherwise. Might it be said of this travelogue that it is "A Chronicle on Escapism?"

It is what it is

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

When I visited it two years ago, I had a hard time getting the sky to look like sky--it as so gunmetallic/ashen. Perhaps it's seasonal. The last picture is certainly one of the most flattering panoramas of the city I have seen. Nice job!

Abhinav Sah
Like?

wisep01 wrote:

When I visited it two years ago, I had a hard time getting the sky to look like sky--it as so gunmetallic/ashen. Perhaps it's seasonal. The last picture is certainly one of the most flattering panoramas of the city I have seen. Nice job!

You can see the a bigger resolution stitch at the link below (the actual render was twice this size :D)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8616618140_b5e36748fc_o.jpg

Abhinav Sah
Like?

The journey of Day 02 is up on the blog

http://knotinfocus.in/blog/iceland-road-trip-travel-photography-knot-in-focus/#Day2

more stories will follow soon

physguy88
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
Wow, truly the journey of a lifetime! (NT)
No text.
Abhinav Sah
Like?
Re: Wow, truly the journey of a lifetime! (NT)
In reply to physguy88, 7 months ago

physguy88 wrote:

Yes it was indeed... but trust me.. Iceland kept throwing one surprise after other.. each day outdid the previous hang in there for updates

Abhinav Sah
Like?

Day 03 travel story is now up on my blog.. .. follow it here..

Travel Story from Day 3

peterclark55
Senior MemberPosts: 2,263
Like?

Superb scenery and wonderful pictures, thanks for posting, Peter

Heinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628
Like?

Awesome pictures. Hope i can go there one day.

-- hide signature --
Abhinav Sah
Like?
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,562
Like?

Abhinav,

absolutely top thread, thanks for sharing.

Excellent photographs and dialogue.

Have a happy and fulfilling 2014.

tony

Abhinav Sah
Like?
In reply to antonoat, 7 months ago

antonoat wrote:

Abhinav,

absolutely top thread, thanks for sharing.

Excellent photographs and dialogue.

Have a happy and fulfilling 2014.

tony

Thanks Tony

Wait for the comings days to unfold.. Iceland is mesmerizing

A very happy new year to you as well

Abhinav

NikonGeff
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?

Superb images. We are going in August 2014. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads