Ricoh 12 days/12 deals - Thumbs DOWN on Customer Service

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
MVerble
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Ricoh 12 days/12 deals - Thumbs DOWN on Customer Service
8 months ago

Anyone else try to take advantage of the daily deals at the Ricoh/Pentax web store?  Great deal last Friday, 12/20 on the new Pentax AF540 FGZ II flash. Offered for $499 with FREE OVERNIGHT shipping so it could arrive PRIOR to Christmas.  I took the plunge and placed my order 12/20 just before 7 a.m. EDT U.S.  I was concerned when I didn't receive immediate tracking information.  Finally received shipment notification at 11:05 p.m. with a projected delivery via UPS GROUND OF 12/27.  Customer service was closed for the weekend and I finally got a reply from them on Monday, 12/23 that overnight shipping meant the item would be shipped the next day, not delivered next day.  I sent them a screen shot form the ad (see below) that clearly states free overnight shipping and now after 9 hours I have no response from their customer service email address.  I asked them to call me directly so we could still resolve the issue with no response. I was really looking forward to the new flash for Christmas this year with my grand kids.  Anyone else try to take advantage of any of the deals?  Was your experience any better than mine?

MVerble's gear list:MVerble's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax 645Z Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Ricoh 12 days/12 deals - Thumbs DOWN on Customer Service
In reply to MVerble, 8 months ago

Wow, I feel your pain.  That is terrible customer service on Pentax part.  The number one law of providing excellent customer service is under promise and over deliver.  Obviously a big fail by Pentax on this one.

Hopefully it shows up soon and they do at least contact you.

Merry Christmas,

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,452
Like?

From where i come from free overnight shipping means it will arrive the next day for free not that it will be sent out the next day at no extra charge! You should complain to them that the advertising was very misleading (an outright lie) and ask for a refund equal to the cost of overnight shipping which is what they advertised!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

MVerble
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 8 months ago

Thanks Mike!  Fortunately I am not out the shipping charges, I wasn't charged anything for shipping.  I assumed that meant I would receive the promised Overnight FREE Shipping.  When I saw the tracking number with a Friday 12/27 targeted delivery date the Pentax Customer Service had closed for the weekend. I hoped this morning (Monday 12/23) they could still make it right if they acted quickly but instead told me I was mistaken and now that I tried to explain won't  respond. I'm leaving tomorrow to go to the grand kids for Christmas so no one will be here to receive the package.   So I guess 'll have to stick to the built flash for my Christmas pix.  (My trusty AF360 is on the fritz)  

MVerble's gear list:MVerble's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax 645Z Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
kmarceau
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?

I wouldn't even open the package. Return it with a complaint of false advertising.
I had a similar experience with them. I ordered the K-3 with free battery pack and bag on the 13th thinking I had plenty of time to get it for Christmas. I thought it was a great price and the site listed the deal as "in stock" so I pulled the trigger 10 minutes before the deal ended.
There was no status change on my order all weekend so I called customer service late Monday and asked what was going on. They told me it would take up yo 48 hours for credit card approval.
I checked back a couple days later and saw no change so I called again. They told me that the order was being held up because the battery pack was back ordered. I asked if they would ship the camera separately and they said no. I asked how long it would take for the battery pack to arrive and they told me 2 to 3 weeks. I told them I needed the camera for a Christmas gift and they still refused to send it separately. I asked to speak to a manager and (after waiting on hold for 10 minutes) they told me it would ship that day.
I finally got the camera yesterday and the battery pack is supposed to show up today. So I had a better outcome than yours. But I'd still be waiting for my delivery if I hadn't kept calling and emailing customer support.

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to kmarceau, 8 months ago

kmarceau wrote:

I wouldn't even open the package. Return it with a complaint of false advertising.
I had a similar experience with them. I ordered the K-3 with free battery pack and bag on the 13th thinking I had plenty of time to get it for Christmas. I thought it was a great price and the site listed the deal as "in stock" so I pulled the trigger 10 minutes before the deal ended.
There was no status change on my order all weekend so I called customer service late Monday and asked what was going on. They told me it would take up yo 48 hours for credit card approval.

They should take a leaf out of Pentax/Ricoh Australia's book (CR Kennedy). I ordered the K-3 early Friday morning at work and paid with credit card. By 4pm I had an email giving me the freight company and Consignment Note number. The camera arrived the following Tuesday morning, but it had come from interstate. CR Kennedy have really upped their game here in Australia in recent months. I used to wonder how B&H could be so efficient - well, now we have great service here too.

I checked back a couple days later and saw no change so I called again. They told me that the order was being held up because the battery pack was back ordered. I asked if they would ship the camera separately and they said no. I asked how long it would take for the battery pack to arrive and they told me 2 to 3 weeks. I told them I needed the camera for a Christmas gift and they still refused to send it separately. I asked to speak to a manager and (after waiting on hold for 10 minutes) they told me it would ship that day.
I finally got the camera yesterday and the battery pack is supposed to show up today. So I had a better outcome than yours. But I'd still be waiting for my delivery if I hadn't kept calling and emailing customer support.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,705Gear list
Like?
In reply to emem, 8 months ago

Same with SRS order free overnight, delivered 4pm next day well done to them.

But Pentax US should be ashamed the advert clearly stated 'get it on time' which given its a Christmas offer clearly sets expectations.

I'd be furious but not sure how sending it back once delivered hurts them more than yourself.?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 8 months ago

Is Pentax USA still an independent distributor or did they get swept up by either Hoya or Ricoh during the buy outs?

Observer
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?

Ordered a K3 with battery grip on Friday 12/13 with 2nd Day Delivery. Didn't get the tracking number until Wed 12/18 after multiple emails and phone calls to Pentax Webstore.

The package finally arrived on Thursday 12/19, there is no warranty card, MVerble did you get a warranty card for your K3?

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,776
Like?
Observer...
In reply to Observer, 8 months ago

Observer wrote:

Ordered a K3 with battery grip on Friday 12/13 with 2nd Day Delivery. Didn't get the tracking number until Wed 12/18 after multiple emails and phone calls to Pentax Webstore.

The package finally arrived on Thursday 12/19, there is no warranty card, MVerble did you get a warranty card for your K3?

Hi Observer,

You don't get, nor do you need a warranty card for for the one year normal warranty. See Product Repairs under the Support page at Support at RICOH IMAGING Americas Corporation . However, you do get a warranty card if you bought the two year Extended Warranty.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Observer
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: Observer...
In reply to brandrx, 8 months ago

Thanks, Ron.

Happy Holidays!

KL Matt
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,072
Like?
How can Ricoh stoop so low?
In reply to Observer, 8 months ago

Observer wrote:

The package finally arrived on Thursday 12/19, there is no warranty card, MVerble did you get a warranty card for your K3?

My goodness, what in the world are they thinking? Tricking customers with the bait-and-switch by showing out-of-stock items as "In Stock" is the lowest of low. Only the sketchiest online retailers do this.

Their brand means nothing to them, they're only goal is to trick a few people into forking over cash for a camera they don't have in stock ???????

Surely they can't be that desperate.

Matt

-- hide signature --

... interested in .... photographs? Heh? Know what a mean? Photographs? (He asked him knowingly). Nudge nudge, snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more, say no more, know what a' mean? Know what a' mean?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=183820&subSubSection=0&language=EN

revdr
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?

A similar experience when I ordered the K3+battery grip.  It took them ten days to ship the blasted thing.  I thought they were probably not used to retail crushes during the holidays, but who knows.  I will know to order from somewhere else the next time.  I also had a "one year warranty" still in force on a flash unit which needed a repair to the battery door -- it cost me $77 to get repaired because "we do not warrantee the case!"  So much for full warranties.

revdr's gear list:revdr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads