Some Jigapixel Images of Artwork

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
Some Jigapixel Images of Artwork
7 months ago

I'm just about done shooting the super-high resolution chapel stained glass project I've been working on, a few need a re-do. Learned a lot along the way. But I've been turning the process at paintings, using some of my own for test subjects. The lighting is, to say the least, challenging. I've also been enhancing the zoomable viewer ( which I didn't write ).

Here are some examples, follow the links.  Of course you can click the images to zoom in to ridiculous extent.

400 megapixel image of oil painting, scene of the Arnhem Grand Tower , apparently pre WWII, any info from any our Dutch friends is appreciated.  I googled it, but would like to know more from a local.

250 megapixel image of recently restored oil painting, portrait of George Taylor Ettinger , c 1930's.

In terms of the viewer, I enhanced it a bit so that you can link directly to any view, including the split view. And preserve each viewer panels settings. For Example a couple specific crops of different stained glass panels.

All of the work so far is available here ... including 40 stained glass panels.

All of the work was shot with the K-5, all the high glass panels and the initial small ones with the smc-Pentax A* 300 / 4. I used the smc-Pentax M 100 / 4 macro for the artwork and some of the small panels.

If you love them or even if you hate them, it shows how panoramic techniques, using Hugin, and some careful shooting, and free server tools, can be used to make details, that few people would ever see, easily accessible.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Jigapixel Images of Artwork
In reply to BobORama, 7 months ago

Thanks Bob,

Thanks.  Very interesting - certainly masses of detail there.  Is that the same program used for huge high res stitched landscapes?

Thanks.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 7 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Thanks Bob,

Thanks. Very interesting - certainly masses of detail there. Is that the same program used for huge high res stitched landscapes?

Yup, its just HUGIN and then GIMP for post processing. For landscapes, parallax is not a big deal, but for the "little planet" and these very close macropano shots its a huge deal, so more attention to the setup of the camera is needed, using MUP, and manual focus helps get the most out of it.

The IIP tile server, and IIPMOOViewer are all things a reasonably smart person can put on any server or their home PC acting as a server.

Creating the tiled, pyrimidal TIFF files required by IIP is easy starting with any TIFF and using Image Magick 's convert command.

That's the whole tool chain for both these and the little planets. The Subject --> K5 --> HUGIN --> GIMP --> IM's convert --> IIP Server --> IIP MOO Viewer --> Your eyeballs.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobORama, 7 months ago

Awesome work, I love how the texture in the paintings shows up just as clear as if I was viewing the painging close up, in person!

jm_mac

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M +13 more
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm_mac, 7 months ago

Way cool, Bob! I blew up that second picture -- the one of the scholar -- all the way, and then I could have SWORN I saw your face in his eyeball! Scared the beJesus out of me!!!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads