Nikon 85mm 1.8D - Can't get autofocus to work

Started Dec 23, 2013 | Questions
Alandb
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Nikon 85mm 1.8D - Can't get autofocus to work
Dec 23, 2013

I just bought a used Nikon 85mm 1.8D. I Have a Nikon D7000. I can't figure out how to get the autofocus to work. I'm sure it is just a setting I am not doing properly but I can't figure it out. Please advise.

Alandb's gear list:Alandb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +5 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm 1.8D - Can't get autofocus to work
In reply to Alandb, Dec 23, 2013

It's a non G lens so it will have an aperture ring. As far as making sure the aperture is locked to f16 on the lens, then making sure the AF switch on the body is in the on position I can't think what else it might be.

Take the lens off the camera, then put it back on again & make sure the contacts are clean.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alandb
Like?
In reply to starman1969, Dec 23, 2013

I believe I did all that and it still doesn't work.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +5 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293Gear list
Like?

If it's bought used, return the item.  If it's bought new, return the item.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Kvenna
Contributing MemberPosts: 579
Like?

It seems rather too obvious to need pointing out, but have you set the ring on the lens to A?

-- hide signature --

Chris

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I'm sure it is just a setting I am not doing properly but I can't figure it out. Please advise.

Check if You have Programmed a Button for AF-ON.
If so, the Camera will only Focus when the corresponding Button is pushing.

Read the Nikon D7000 Manual for this...

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to starman1969, Dec 23, 2013

As far as making sure the aperture is locked to f16 on the lens, then making sure the...

Aperture-Switch on the Lens is on the orange Position.

Alandb
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Dec 23, 2013

Carsten, thank you. I never would have figured that out.

Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,946Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, Dec 23, 2013

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

Check if You have Programmed a Button for AF-ON.
If so, the Camera will only Focus when the corresponding Button is pushing.

Well done Cartsten because I don't do this I personally would have never thought of this

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +20 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Cool, i have save some Money for You.

Well done Cartsten because I don't do this I personally would have never thought of this.

That was only to guess right.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,592Gear list
Like?
But AF-ON is global

Alandb wrote:

If you have set the focus to AF-ON, then none of your lenses would autofocus with the shutter button. I was under the impression that only the 85 wasn't autofocusing.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Alandb
Like?
Re: But AF-ON is global
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Dec 23, 2013

Leonard, that is an interesting question. I believe you are mostly correct. I forgot that I recently changed to back button focusing. I just put on my 16-85mm and it seems that it will take a shot, but not always, but it won't autofocus. I watched to see whether the lens moved without pushing the backbutton focus and it did not. It might have fired without pressing the backbutton if it was already in focus, but I am not sure. I thank everybody for helping me out with this. Everything is a learning experience.

Leonard Migliore
Like?
In reply to Alandb, Dec 24, 2013

Alandb wrote:

Leonard, that is an interesting question. I believe you are mostly correct. I forgot that I recently changed to back button focusing. I just put on my 16-85mm and it seems that it will take a shot, but not always, but it won't autofocus. I watched to see whether the lens moved without pushing the backbutton focus and it did not. It might have fired without pressing the backbutton if it was already in focus, but I am not sure. I thank everybody for helping me out with this. Everything is a learning experience.

When I changed to back button focusing I got a whole bunch of out-of-focus pictures. Usually with back button focusing you set AF-C so the camera will fire whether it's in focus or not.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Alandb
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Dec 24, 2013

You are correct but I have my camera set for AF-S.

Leonard Migliore
Like?
In reply to Alandb, Dec 24, 2013

Alandb wrote:

You are correct but I have my camera set for AF-S.

Did you change the AF-S priority selection to "release"? The default selection is "focus", meaning the camera will only take pictures when the camera is in focus. AF-C default is "release", meaning the camera will take a picture whenever the shutter is pressed.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Old Photo Dog
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Thanks for this post...
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 9 months ago

I managed to make all of the mistakes mentioned above, except I did have AF-ON. This saved me a lot of debugging time!

Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads