Travel tripod for NEX6: Gitzo GT1542T or ...

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions
MVDH
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Travel tripod for NEX6: Gitzo GT1542T or ...
Dec 22, 2013

I'm looking for a good quality compact and lightweight tripod to be used with my NEX6 on hiking trips.

My NEX6 combined with SEL18-200 (heaviest lens) weigh little less than 1 kg, so I guess that basically any tripod available will do the job just fine.

Although this will be my first tripod I am willing to pay some extra money for a compact, lightweight quality piece that will last a lifetime.

After looking at several alternatives (Redged,Manfrotto, Vanguard) I'm still leaning towards the Gitzo serie 1 Traveler tripods GT1542T or GT1544T.

My main questions remaining: should I give Gitzo series 2 tripods a serious consideration or will this be overkill for the tiny NEX camera?

Reason why I would possibly consider the Gitzo serie 2 (e.g. the GT2542T) is that would give me little bit more stability in windy conditions (although I do not know if this will be an issue with the serie1/NEX6 combo) and will give me more future possibities (A Gitzo should last many many years).

Any experience with Gitzo GT1542T and NEX camera (or similar) in windy conditions?

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel tripod for NEX6: Gitzo GT1542T or ...
In reply to MVDH, Dec 22, 2013

A lightweight tripod that is stable when extended, and allows for close-to-the-ground macro shots should fit the bill. Consider it as a beater SUV... it has to handle cold, wet, mud, sand, be easy to use with gloves and compact enough to fit into a pack. It'll get scratched, bent, dinged, and likely stolen. I'd NEVER spend that kind of money on a tripod, unless it meant impressing a client during a swimsuit session.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rey66
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
 Rey66's gear list:Rey66's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7 II Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,155Gear list
Like?

I recently got
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-traveler-tripod-ct3441s-rapid-p-38.html

I have the older version of the Gitzo 1540T but the final leg extensions are really narrow at full height.

I use either a Markins or small RRS head on these with small cameras.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?

MVDH wrote:

I'm looking for a good quality compact and lightweight tripod to be used with my NEX6 on hiking trips.

My NEX6 combined with SEL18-200 (heaviest lens) weigh little less than 1 kg, so I guess that basically any tripod available will do the job just fine.

Although this will be my first tripod I am willing to pay some extra money for a compact, lightweight quality piece that will last a lifetime.

After looking at several alternatives (Redged,Manfrotto, Vanguard) I'm still leaning towards the Gitzo serie 1 Traveler tripods GT1542T or GT1544T.

My main questions remaining: should I give Gitzo series 2 tripods a serious consideration or will this be overkill for the tiny NEX camera?

Reason why I would possibly consider the Gitzo serie 2 (e.g. the GT2542T) is that would give me little bit more stability in windy conditions (although I do not know if this will be an issue with the serie1/NEX6 combo) and will give me more future possibities (A Gitzo should last many many years).

Any experience with Gitzo GT1542T and NEX camera (or similar) in windy conditions?

Hello. If you are looking for good value for very good functionality--I personally highly recommend the $80 Dolica carbon fiber w/ ball head.  Might be worth a look before you make your final decision.

http://www.costco.com/Dolica-Proline-60%22-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-with-Ball-Head-Bundle-.product.11746472.html

LBJ2's gear list:LBJ2's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I have three CF tripods and travel with all of them sometimes........ After a series of Manfrotto aluminium tripods (too heavy for travel).  I bought in this order

• a Gitzo GT1228 Mountaineer tripod (no longer current but much like the GT1540).  This is great, but bigger than you're looking at and I don't travel with it unless it's short travel and I'm going on a  trip with photography as a purpose.
  • a Sirui CF T025, which is beautifully made and collapses to about a foot long because it has five leg sections and the column reverses.  I rarely use it because it isn't tall enough, and life is too short for tripods with five leg sections - that means you have to unlock, extend and re-lock five sections every time you erect it.  I only take it when I doubt I'll need a tripod, but want one 'just in case'.
  • I then bought a Slik 614 CF which is lighter than the Gitzo 1228, taller than the Sirui and only has three leg sections.  It doesn't pack down as small as the Sirui, but goes up and down a lot faster.  I like it for travel and hiking.

I'd be cautious of short tripods  - what I've found is that although they're light and pack down well, they're sooner or later not up to the task.  1)  They may not allow the camera to 'see' over tall grass and other vegetation that you don't notice at your eye height.  And 2) One day you'll encounter sloping ground, and then having long tripod legs comes into its own because you need a long one on the down hill side to get the total height you need.  And like I said above, five section legs are a total pain.  Never again for me!

Yes, light tripods are affected by the wind, and sooner or later there is a wind that will affect every tripod.  If you are sticking with the Gitzo Traveller Series,  think I'd stick with the Series 1 Traveller rather than the Series 2, because you have the lighter weight advantage (all the time) and the Series 2 has no more height for the extra weight.  You won't need the extra load capacity for an NEX6.  I'd carry a corded bag with you and put a rock in it and hang it under the tripod for extra stability if needed.  I think I would also consider (for me) the Gitzo Mountaineer GT 1531 or GT1540 over the Traveller series.  Why?  They're taller, weigh a whisker more than the Traveller Series 1, and less than the Traveller Series 2.  Their disadvantage is that they don't pack down as small (the four leg-section GT1540 packs down to 52cm).  I guess it depends a bit on your travel and preferences.

I can recommend Gitzo (and the better Sliks).  Gitzo are expensive, but they last, and the company has a policy of stocking parts for many years after the others have stopped (if you can get them at all).

Enjoy whatever you buy,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
In reply to LBJ2, Dec 22, 2013

I use this:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871069-REG/Benro_A0350Q0T_MeFoto_Travel_Tripod_With.html--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
In reply to MVDH, Dec 23, 2013

Challenged by dragging around a 'fullsize' tripod I have just got the Manfrotto MKC3-H01. Its actually billed as a video t'pod, but the trigger adjustment lever works really well, holding the NEX without any problem in any position. It will actually hold the A99 with a 28-135 lens, but at the highest setting the legs do become a shade wobbly. Without the thinnest leg extension used it is quite stable. I got mine off of Amazon for £37.00

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Hugo600si
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?
In reply to MVDH, Dec 23, 2013

If the extra bit of weight is not a problem I'd opt for the 2 series, legs are a lot thicker, especially the bottom sections (2 series is 28/24/20/16, the 1 series would be about 22/18/14/10 from the top of my head, could well be wrong on the exact diameter of the 1 series). add a RRS head (BH-30 LR) and its a great platform. 1 Series is the most commonly chosen one I believe though, so its probably also quite up to scratch

Another option: RRS series 1 (TQC-14), that will be a small step above the 2 series.

...plenty of ways to get rid of that nasty money in your bank account

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul Richman, Dec 23, 2013

Paul Richman wrote:

I use this:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871069-REG/Benro_A0350Q0T_MeFoto_Travel_Tripod_With.html--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

I use one of these as well.  It's about as compact as you can get.  If you want it to extend taller, it's going to cost you (room in your bag).

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Rey66
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
In reply to MVDH, Dec 24, 2013

planning to get this though..very compact and you can convert to monopod..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Q-666-SLR-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-Ball-Head-Portable-Compact-Travel-/121190432347?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1c37833e5b

there is also a super light carbon fiber version for 149$

Rey66's gear list:Rey66's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7 II Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Andrew53
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
In reply to MVDH, Dec 25, 2013

I used the Sirui T1204x tripod for about 3 years and have recently upgraded to the Gitzo 1542T. The Gitzo is a better tripod but not by much. The Sirui is very good value for the money. I tried Benro and didn't like it.

I use the Markins Q3 on both.

Andrew53's gear list:Andrew53's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 +65 more
MVDH
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew53, Dec 25, 2013

Thanks for all feedback so far. Many interesting suggestions.

I have also been considering the Redged TSC-425, which seems to be a very nice alternative (better height compared to GT1542T)... However, also this Dutch brand seems to be manufactured in China in the same place as Benzo and others.

If I have the choise I rather spend my well earned Euro's in either EU or USA in stead of China... (I know - Sony NEX6 is also manufacturerd in Thailand and many Sony SEL lenses in China..)

MVDH's gear list:MVDH's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
In reply to MVDH, Dec 25, 2013

For stability and ability to take a beating and look good consider a Berlebach. The legs are ash, yes wood.
I like the wood especially in cold weather.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads