XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...
7 months ago

you happy with your decision that you purchased the XA-1 and did not spend the extra money for a XM-1?

Would you make that same choice again?

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,731Gear list
Like?
Re: XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...
In reply to jimr, 7 months ago

jimr wrote:

you happy with your decision that you purchased the XA-1 and did not spend the extra money for a XM-1?

Yes, the IQ between the 2 is nearly identical.

Yes, but I also have X-Pro and X100. If you don't need a VF and don't mind a small camera with a small grip, then the X-A1 is an excellent choice.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Patrick
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, 7 months ago

Randy Benter wrote:

jimr wrote:

Yes, the IQ between the 2 is nearly identical.

Yes, but I also have X-Pro and X100. If you don't need a VF and don't mind a small camera with a small grip, then the X-A1 is an excellent choice.

+1

Agree with everything Randy wrote. Would only add that I love the X-A1 and 27mm pancake combo.

Kevin Patrick's gear list:Kevin Patrick's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
pat lmc
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?

From the X-M1 dark side!

I bought an XM-1 last week with the 16-50mm XC lens from Amazon through their latest offer. After discounts/rebates it was effectively £279 or $440.

The X-A1 was/is dearer so I discounted it and just bought the X-M1 on a whim. If the IQ is roughly the same, (depending on your Mk1 eyeball, computer resolution or single malt level) then it too is a stunning camera. Had the X-A1 been cheaper I would probably have bought it.

I have an X100 but I just bought it as a non-foot zoom alternative. I have been mighty impressed, couldn't give a toss about the lack of an EVF and chuckle everytime I remind myself of the price I paid!

£279 for that level of IQ?  Bargain Sir!

pat lmc's gear list:pat lmc's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X-S1 +9 more
Allan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

Yes, quite happy. At normal sized viewing on my 24" Cinema Display and on my iPad 4, I cannot see much difference between the X-A1 and X-M1. I'd rather spend the money on lenses.

The IQ is definitely a notch above my m43 cameras, and I prefer the menus of the X-series cameras much more than any of the Pannys or Olys that I've owned.

I consider the X-A1 to be the gateway drug into the X-series. It's a great, affordable way to get a foothold into the system in order to test the waters.

So far I like it more than m43 but there's still a lot of room for improvement such as: faster AF, better face detection, a more robust flash system, more ergonomic bodies, etc. These will all come in time as the system matures.

Allan's gear list:Allan's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Fujifilm X-A1 +4 more
tombell1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
XM1 is cheaper than the XA1 in the UK
In reply to Allan, 7 months ago

With current offers if you use Amazon then as the earlier correspondant points out the XM! with £100 pound cash back from Fuji and £100 from Amazon it is £279-£299 for the camera … amazing! So only worth buying the XA1 if you don't like the Xtrans sensor

-- hide signature --
 tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,316Gear list
Like?

jimr wrote:

Very much so.  I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses.  Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, 7 months ago

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

Very much so. I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses. Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

That flys in the face of a lot of X Trans worship here.

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

Very much so. I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses. Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

I'm not anti-Xtrans.  I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love.  Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me.  $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?

I will be an owner of the xa1. I used one a month ago but did not keep it since the new xe2 was pending. Now with Xmas sales, I've decided to vomit to the xa1 kit plus 50-230mm for $700 Canadian.
The pics are nicer than the 4/3rds I tested and now the price is right. I'll still have my Nikons for serious work.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, 7 months ago

I will be an owner of the xa1. I used one a month ago but did not keep it since the new xe2 was pending. Now with Xmas sales, I've decided to vomit to the xa1 kit plus 50-230mm for $700 Canadian.
The pics are nicer than the 4/3rds I tested and now the price is right. I'll still have my Nikons for serious work.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Correction.
I meant to say comit to the xa1.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, 7 months ago

Red G8R wrote:

--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Correction.
I meant to say comit to the xa1.

Welcome to auto spell correction!

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

I'm not anti-Xtrans. I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love. Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me. $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

My thoughts as well actually. It is a fun and cheap change of pace from the bigger badder cousins.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Graham Hill
Like?

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

I'm not anti-Xtrans. I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love. Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me. $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

I didnt suggest that you were Anti X Trans. I have no idea how you derived that from what I wrote.

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here.  X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.  In the thread I posted regarding my new GF670W, I was told that X Trans exceeds medium format film.  That comment went unrefuted by anyone here.

I think your post is quite rare, in that it is clearly stated that the X Trans sensor offers only a very little bump in performance for an APS-C censor.

I agree with you 100%.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here. X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.

X-Trans = FF is hardly the conventional wisdom around here.  There may be a few people who say that, but you are oversimplifying the position of the vast number of X-Trans proponents.

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here. X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.

X-Trans = FF is hardly the conventional wisdom around here. There may be a few people who say that, but you are oversimplifying the position of the vast number of X-Trans proponents.

I disagree.  I hear all kinds of people here claim that X Trans =FF.  Many quote that Fujifilm makes this claim!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads