XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,256
Like?
XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...
Dec 22, 2013

you happy with your decision that you purchased the XA-1 and did not spend the extra money for a XM-1?

Would you make that same choice again?

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: XA-1 Owners Only .....Are...
In reply to jimr, Dec 22, 2013

jimr wrote:

you happy with your decision that you purchased the XA-1 and did not spend the extra money for a XM-1?

Yes, the IQ between the 2 is nearly identical.

Yes, but I also have X-Pro and X100. If you don't need a VF and don't mind a small camera with a small grip, then the X-A1 is an excellent choice.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kevin Patrick
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Dec 22, 2013

Randy Benter wrote:

jimr wrote:

Yes, the IQ between the 2 is nearly identical.

Yes, but I also have X-Pro and X100. If you don't need a VF and don't mind a small camera with a small grip, then the X-A1 is an excellent choice.

+1

Agree with everything Randy wrote. Would only add that I love the X-A1 and 27mm pancake combo.

Kevin Patrick's gear list:Kevin Patrick's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
pat lmc
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

From the X-M1 dark side!

I bought an XM-1 last week with the 16-50mm XC lens from Amazon through their latest offer. After discounts/rebates it was effectively £279 or $440.

The X-A1 was/is dearer so I discounted it and just bought the X-M1 on a whim. If the IQ is roughly the same, (depending on your Mk1 eyeball, computer resolution or single malt level) then it too is a stunning camera. Had the X-A1 been cheaper I would probably have bought it.

I have an X100 but I just bought it as a non-foot zoom alternative. I have been mighty impressed, couldn't give a toss about the lack of an EVF and chuckle everytime I remind myself of the price I paid!

£279 for that level of IQ?  Bargain Sir!

pat lmc's gear list:pat lmc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 +11 more
Allan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

Yes, quite happy. At normal sized viewing on my 24" Cinema Display and on my iPad 4, I cannot see much difference between the X-A1 and X-M1. I'd rather spend the money on lenses.

The IQ is definitely a notch above my m43 cameras, and I prefer the menus of the X-series cameras much more than any of the Pannys or Olys that I've owned.

I consider the X-A1 to be the gateway drug into the X-series. It's a great, affordable way to get a foothold into the system in order to test the waters.

So far I like it more than m43 but there's still a lot of room for improvement such as: faster AF, better face detection, a more robust flash system, more ergonomic bodies, etc. These will all come in time as the system matures.

Allan's gear list:Allan's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Fujifilm X-A1 +4 more
tombell1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853Gear list
Like?
XM1 is cheaper than the XA1 in the UK
In reply to Allan, Dec 23, 2013

With current offers if you use Amazon then as the earlier correspondant points out the XM! with £100 pound cash back from Fuji and £100 from Amazon it is £279-£299 for the camera … amazing! So only worth buying the XA1 if you don't like the Xtrans sensor

-- hide signature --
 tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?
In reply to jimr, Dec 23, 2013

jimr wrote:

Very much so.  I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses.  Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Dec 23, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

Very much so. I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses. Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

That flys in the face of a lot of X Trans worship here.

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, Dec 23, 2013

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

Very much so. I actually got it so I would have a Bayer alternative to use with Fuji's lenses. Ultimately, it is very close in performance.

I'm not anti-Xtrans.  I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love.  Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me.  $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Dec 23, 2013

I will be an owner of the xa1. I used one a month ago but did not keep it since the new xe2 was pending. Now with Xmas sales, I've decided to vomit to the xa1 kit plus 50-230mm for $700 Canadian.
The pics are nicer than the 4/3rds I tested and now the price is right. I'll still have my Nikons for serious work.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, Dec 23, 2013

I will be an owner of the xa1. I used one a month ago but did not keep it since the new xe2 was pending. Now with Xmas sales, I've decided to vomit to the xa1 kit plus 50-230mm for $700 Canadian.
The pics are nicer than the 4/3rds I tested and now the price is right. I'll still have my Nikons for serious work.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Correction.
I meant to say comit to the xa1.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,256
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, Dec 24, 2013

Red G8R wrote:

--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Correction.
I meant to say comit to the xa1.

Welcome to auto spell correction!

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Dec 24, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

I'm not anti-Xtrans. I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love. Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me. $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

My thoughts as well actually. It is a fun and cheap change of pace from the bigger badder cousins.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Dec 24, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

jimr wrote:

I'm not anti-Xtrans. I just replaced my X-E1 with an E2 and recently picked up a X100s which I love. Having said that, choosing between the XA-1 and X-M1 was a no brainer to me. $200 cheaper (even more now) and a chance to play with a conventional Bayer RAW converter are too huge pluses.

I didnt suggest that you were Anti X Trans. I have no idea how you derived that from what I wrote.

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here.  X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.  In the thread I posted regarding my new GF670W, I was told that X Trans exceeds medium format film.  That comment went unrefuted by anyone here.

I think your post is quite rare, in that it is clearly stated that the X Trans sensor offers only a very little bump in performance for an APS-C censor.

I agree with you 100%.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, Dec 24, 2013

Graham Hill wrote:

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here. X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.

X-Trans = FF is hardly the conventional wisdom around here.  There may be a few people who say that, but you are oversimplifying the position of the vast number of X-Trans proponents.

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Dec 24, 2013

Red5TX wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

What I said was that your comment that X Trans offers only a very small difference in performance compared to Bayer, flies in the face of the conventional wisdom here. X Trans, we are told, makes APS-C equal to FF in terms of IQ.

X-Trans = FF is hardly the conventional wisdom around here. There may be a few people who say that, but you are oversimplifying the position of the vast number of X-Trans proponents.

I disagree.  I hear all kinds of people here claim that X Trans =FF.  Many quote that Fujifilm makes this claim!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads