RX10 Water Collor Effect

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RnF
RnF
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
RX10 Water Collor Effect
4 months ago

Does anyone know if the RX10 can apply Picture Effects to an image after it's been taken as seen in this thread for the RX100 (water color)? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/355957

That's a pretty cool feature I can't seem to find on the RX10, if it isn't possible that's a real bummer.

RnF's gear list:RnF's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: RX10 Water Collor Effect
In reply to RnF, 4 months ago

Water Colour is one of the Picture Effects on the RX10. Why not download the manual formatted by a forum member here.  It's on Page 79.

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RnF
RnF
Like?
In reply to Chris43, 4 months ago

Chris43 wrote:

Water Colour is one of the Picture Effects on the RX10. Why not download the manual formatted by a forum member here. It's on Page 79.

Don't think you understand what I am asking.  I know the RX10 has the Water Color Effect.  In the thread I linked, the user is able to take a normal picture and then apply the Water Color Effect to the image multiple times to same image to create an exaggerated water color effect.  But he is using the RX100.

The RX10 doesn't seem to have this ability.  I looked at the manual and it doesn't say anything about being able to do this.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
claude2
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

Hi   SUPER yours water- pictures, but RX10 have not-it!

Anybody know if it is possible to do "same beautyfull  effect" in PS or other program

-- hide signature --

Cp

wade maney
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?

Hi RnF

Seems like from your post that you have an RX 100 too? - wonder if you can take a photo with your RX 10 & then pull the SD card and put it in your RX 100 & see if you apply the effect then - bit of a hassle but it might work - I have both so will try later today.

Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D7100
wade maney
Like?
In reply to wade maney, 4 months ago

Just tried pic with RX 10 & then put SD card from RX 10 into RX 100.  The RX 100 saw the photo & allowed me to apply the illustration effect over & over - removed card & put in the RX 10 & it saw all of the  images.  So this does work.

-- hide signature --

Wade

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580
Like?
In reply to claude2, 4 months ago

claude plante wrote:

Hi SUPER yours water- pictures, but RX10 have not-it!

Anybody know if it is possible to do "same beautyfull effect" in PS or other program

-- hide signature --

Cp

My RX10 has a Watercolor Effect.

wade maney
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 4 months ago

Hi -- Red - I think the difference between the two cameras is that with the RX 100 you can apply the effect(s) AFTER you take the photo but with the RX 10 you must pick the effect BEFORE the shot & no apparent after shot effect modification available.  At least I haven't found it yet.

Wade

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580
Like?

wade maney wrote:

Hi -- Red - I think the difference between the two cameras is that with the RX 100 you can apply the effect(s) AFTER you take the photo but with the RX 10 you must pick the effect BEFORE the shot & no apparent after shot effect modification available. At least I haven't found it yet.

Wade

I see.  Missed that.  Good point!

oldcarz
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

wade maney wrote:

Hi -- Red - I think the difference between the two cameras is that with the RX 100 you can apply the effect(s) AFTER you take the photo but with the RX 10 you must pick the effect BEFORE the shot & no apparent after shot effect modification available. At least I haven't found it yet.

Wade

Thanks for the tip.  I, too, had the same question as the O.P. and couldn't figure out how to apply the water color effect after it was taken.  I also have the RX100 and, like you, discovered that I can put the SD card from the RX10 into it and apply the effect.

The water color effect of the RX10 is nice, but you do take a chance of taking a photo and hoping that it will look good because I don't believe you can "undo" the water color effect to make it a "regular" photo.  Please advise if this is an option.

Here's a picture of a water color effect from the RX10.  My camera is only a few days old, so most of my initial practice pix are intended to capture different textures.  In this case, stained glass, leather, bronze, leather, fabric, wood, etc.

Joel

wade maney
Like?
In reply to oldcarz, 4 months ago

Hi Oldcarz

I think when you apply an effect (at least with the illustration effect) -- the original is also saved.  You can also apply an illustration effect to a photo to which you have already applied the effect to - making the effect more intense.

Wade

oldcarz
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

wade maney wrote:

Hi Oldcarz

I think when you apply an effect (at least with the illustration effect) -- the original is also saved. You can also apply an illustration effect to a photo to which you have already applied the effect to - making the effect more intense.

Wade

Wade,

I just double checked. When using the Picture Effect option, the RX10 will take and store the picture using the option selected. Using the water color effect, there is only one "level" of effect (which is nice and mild), but the only photo that is saved on the SD card is the one with the effect applied. So, no, there isn't an original version.

I also tried it with the Illustrator effect. Like with the RX100, there are 3 levels of effect, but once you choose the mode and shoot, that is the only version stored on the card.

Therefore, it appears that with the RX10, there is no way to reverse the effects once they are taken. With the RX100, you were able to add the desired effect to any picture taken with the camera, or subsequently uploaded from another camera or SD card.

As mentioned, this is a little disappointing for the RX10, but between the RX100 (and photoshop), I can always add effects in the future without losing the original.

Enclosing the test illustrator pic of my jeans.

Elaka Farmor
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
In reply to oldcarz, 4 months ago

Hi, I´m the one who started the other "RX100 water color thread" and many of the photos are HDR - with water color applied afterwards (without loosing the original photo of cause).

Is it possible to use full maul controls (incl HDR) when creating water color effect with the RX10?

Wilhelm
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?

Thanks for asking this -- I wondered about it too, but thought I was stupid because I couldn't figure it out for myself. (Damn crappy SONY documentation, or rather the lack of it.)

I would not have bought my RX10 had I know that it couldn't be used like my RX100.

RnF
RnF
Like?
In reply to Elaka Farmor, 4 months ago

Elaka Farmor wrote:

Hi, I´m the one who started the other "RX100 water color thread" and many of the photos are HDR - with water color applied afterwards (without loosing the original photo of cause).

Is it possible to use full maul controls (incl HDR) when creating water color effect with the RX10?

Yes, you can use full manual controls when you have a picture effect being applied.  However, you can't use HDR when using a picture effect.  Just tested this out, when I had water color selected, HDR was disabled.

It does work in M mode.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
SoLuTioN

(Well, I read through the thread and did not see what I would do in this situation).

SoLuTioN = RAW+JPEG.

The Jpeg gets the conversion. The RAW does not. Since there is so much less actual pixel data, you won't need the full resolution JPEG anyway; so this should work for anyone's needs including prints.

Conversely, if there is any editing program out there from Sony then it should have the scene effects available in that program. For instance, Nikon users can use Nikon's Editing Program called Capture NX; and with that you can choose any Nikon camera's scene settings with a RAW photograph.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wilhelm
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
Re: SoLuTioN
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 4 months ago

AH HA!  I bet that you can save a "RAW + JPEG" and if then shoot the image as "Water Color" you will get a straight image plus the W.C.

That's what I do when shooting B&W, just in case the color image would have been better.

RnF
RnF
Like?
Re: SoLuTioN
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 4 months ago

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

(Well, I read through the thread and did not see what I would do in this situation).

SoLuTioN = RAW+JPEG.

The Jpeg gets the conversion. The RAW does not. Since there is so much less actual pixel data, you won't need the full resolution JPEG anyway; so this should work for anyone's needs including prints.

Conversely, if there is any editing program out there from Sony then it should have the scene effects available in that program. For instance, Nikon users can use Nikon's Editing Program called Capture NX; and with that you can choose any Nikon camera's scene settings with a RAW photograph.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not at home to verify this, but I think if you use RAW in anyway, it disables Picture Effects/HDR. Pretty sure I already tried this.  Hope I am wrong though.

I know there are filters/apps out there that can get this sort of thing applied post. How ever, Sony's water color effect specifically is pretty unique and cool and I haven't found any filter that will give me that look.

I wish Sony would actually include those picture effects in their software so we could apply them to images after we have taken them. As of right now, that isn't possible.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
You are unfortunately correct about this

RnF wrote:

Not at home to verify this, but I think if you use RAW in anyway, it disables Picture Effects/HDR. Pretty sure I already tried this. Hope I am wrong though.

I know there are filters/apps out there that can get this sort of thing applied post. How ever, Sony's water color effect specifically is pretty unique and cool and I haven't found any filter that will give me that look.

I just tried this myself, and you are indeed correct. If you select JPG+RAW as your save option, that disables any picture effect. So this is unfortunately not a solution.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
FredCDobbs
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately it is not available on my NEX7 as it is on the RX100. I guess I'll take a SD card shot with the NEX 7 and install it in the RX100 and see if it will read and apply the effect which I happen to like.

FredCDobbs's gear list:FredCDobbs's gear list
Sony RX100 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads