Re: IQ only. Stylus 1 or XZ-1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,723Gear list
Like?
9 months ago

Concerned with only SOOC IQ, which of these two specific cameras is alleged to deliver the better product in JPEG?  To this point, mt XZ-1 is my favorite P&S camera.  I also have a nice DSLR package, and a superzoom as well.  But if the Stylus 1 is right up there too, I might trade in the two P&Ss in favor of it.

Thanks.

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,806Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, 9 months ago

I would say the Stylus 1 without question. It has a newer generation sensor (the one from the XZ-2) and a several generation newer processor (from the EP5).

I don't have the XZ-1 any longer, but when I upgraded it to the XZ-2, I was impressed with the improvements in IQ. And I can say that again going from the XZ-2 to the Stylus 1.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, 9 months ago

I would agree with one reservation, The lens is a different design and when starts stretching focal lengths compromises are often made. One only has to look at a $3000 lens like the Canon 28-300L and one can see where engineers and designers are pushing the envelope.

The lens on the XZ-1 is special amongst compacts whether the lens on the the Stylus 1 has the same characteristics still has to be tested and proven. Initial results are very promising.

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Stylus 1
In reply to Aaron Sur, 9 months ago

in technology

- NEW beats the OLD.

Time / Age adds humans more experience, accuracy, individuality... simply every good things. BUT its the opposite on the gears side.

You might say "xz-1 is more pocketable!" yes... however it does not reach as far as Stylus does.... you can say "a microphone can be attached to xz-1, but can´t Stylus 1" and I would say, dont buy a mic. for XZ-1 buy even a second hand camcorder by that mic.´s price

IQ says stylus on my mind.

sure its personal

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Stylus 1
In reply to Ben O Connor, 9 months ago

Ben,

I see you actually have (or had) a XZ-1.  But do you have a Stylus 1 as well?  I ask to know if your comments are based on first hand experience (with the Stylus) or hearsay.

AS the previous poster said.....any new technology is better than the old.  True in most cases, but I've seen exceptions, especially in photo gear.  Hence my interest in starting this thread.

BobT

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: Stylus 1
In reply to BobT, 9 months ago

BobT wrote:

Ben,

I see you actually have (or had) a XZ-1. But do you have a Stylus 1 as well? I ask to know if your comments are based on first hand experience (with the Stylus) or hearsay.

Then its another story. For now I say my comment without any Stylus 1 handheld experiences... It was a general idea and as i inished my reply "It was my perosnal idea." so many can find it otherway...

AS the previous poster said.....any new technology is better than the old. True in most cases, but I've seen exceptions, especially in photo gear. Hence my interest in starting this thread.

BobT

Well I can agree, but can´t agree at the same time.

I know a man, who owns a lot of mamiya stuff... and he makes a great work by film as well... Also phase 1´s from mamiya is also good, But there are even cases they even thinks that Even a 645 format is beaten by Nikon D800 E...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV/search?query=d800+e

Just another example of new beats old...

But maybe its only in terms of electronics, because in terms of optic there could be something different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYEOrbTxRY

Ben

ps: hopefully i did not change the direction of the discussion too much... But these are also somekinda info to keep behind the ears... as a good old pencil

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,806Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, 9 months ago

Aaron Sur wrote:

I would agree with one reservation, The lens is a different design and when starts stretching focal lengths compromises are often made. One only has to look at a $3000 lens like the Canon 28-300L and one can see where engineers and designers are pushing the envelope.

The lens on the XZ-1 is special amongst compacts whether the lens on the the Stylus 1 has the same characteristics still has to be tested and proven. Initial results are very promising.

Aaron - I agree about the lens on the XZ-1/2, very special as far as P&S cameras go. My comments to the OP I still stand by, for "overall IQ" I feel that the Stylus 1 is better. Do I feel that at the long end the lens on the Stylus 1 performs better when stopped down a bit - sure - but that goes for just about any zoom lens. And while I agree that "in general" a 10x zoom should not have the same IQ as a roughly 4x, as was posted, improvements in lens design and manufacturing are showing that old adage wrong every day. (When I started with film ALL zoom sucked compared to primes. Look what we have today.)

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, 9 months ago

Hi Steven ,

I hear you mate , unfortunately I have the opportunity to work with some of the best ( and heaviest :-() gear on the market and when I put the Nikkor 200 f 2 prime a $6000 piece of glass on the D4 and compare it to the excellent 70-2002.8 AFS, all doubts evaporate.

I will have the sigma merrill compact next week in Sydney will let you know how that works.

have a great Christmas

Aaron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads