Couple of Thoughts on Nikon 1 Since Moving On (as Main Camera)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Couple of Thoughts on Nikon 1 Since Moving On (as Main Camera)
9 months ago

Here are some thoughts on where the V1 really excels after owning an OMD-EM5 (disliked, sold) and a Fuji X-E1 (love, keeping).

Metering is excellent in the V1. It's almost a foregone conclusion that the camera will do the job with very little input from the user. Testing it next to the X-E1, it meters more reliably, which is good given the smaller sensor with less room for blown highlights.

The EVF is excellent. Very little lag, and it's hardly ever jumpy. Very smooth.

The electronic shutter is brilliant. On a sunny day you can push shutter speeds to 1/8000 of a second for example, with the 18.5, and shoot wide open. This is underrated, because with the Fuji and 35 1.4, for example, I need to stop down to 3.2 or so. Depth of field advantage largely lost.

The electronic shutter is also brilliant because it is silent without rolling shutter artifacts in some M43 cameras.

The user interface (yeah I said it) is easy to use. It isn't what I would call "good" but in reality it's easy to memorize and you can get through menus very quickly on the V1. Much as I thought I disliked it (and still believe FW would fix a lot), hindsight is 20/20 and it never stopped me from getting a shot.

It's an easy camera to use and let others use. My girlfriend took the pic below a few weeks ago.

Anyways, after being very critical of Nikon for several months here are some real positive take-aways after using other cameras.

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ripleysbaby
Contributing MemberPosts: 662Gear list
Like?
Re: Couple of Thoughts on Nikon 1 Since Moving On (as Main Camera)
In reply to AustinB, 9 months ago

I also have those 3 cameras, all good. I spent an inappropriate amount of time squinting through all of them. My conclusion is that I prefer the V1's
But I wish the eye sensor switch was as fast as the fuji's
If I had to get rid of one the first one to go would be the EM5. Sure it's a great bit of kit, for me though it's to complex. And accidental settings changes happen far to often. It's just to small for me. Next to go would be the Fuji. And this is my favorite ! So I'm left with the V1
It just works .

ripleysbaby's gear list:ripleysbaby's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292
Like?

I keep the V1 for the electronic shutter & high speed modes & tiny SB-N5 flash saving the day indoors without the bulk while offering full tilt & swivel (thank goodness it was bundled, because I would never have paid for it separately).

Good viewfinder & lcd tops things off nicely. Smaller sensor isn't always the best choice, but for many shots it's the perfect compromise. Unlike Nikon's other cameras, their mirrorless stuff has Pixel Mapping, which proves miracles are possible, even if they are 15 or so years late.

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,752
Like?
The V1 is one of the best cameras (for reason you point out). It's about the same

The V1 is one of the best cameras (for reason you point out). It's about the same size as my 5R (V1 lenses are smaller) but a lot more fun to use. Am consiinning cashing in my DSLR & lenses and using the V1 instead.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?

As I have stated here numerous times (though no one believes me), I have owned every major mirror less brand on the market (except Samsung and Pentax) and I really think the Nikon 1 is hard to beat. There are other cameras with better strengths (such as Sony better sensor) and cameras with better lens selection (Fuji and Olympus come to mind), but no one brand is as well rounded as Nikon in this arena).

I also hated the Olympus OMD. Your criticisms of Fuji are valid and I shared the same opinion when I owned an X100. Metering accuracy is extremely important to me as is the electronic shutter.

samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
In reply to retro76, 9 months ago

retro76 wrote:

but no one brand is as well rounded as Nikon in this arena).

The reason why you think that is because you didn't try Pentax and Samsung

aChanceEncounter
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
In reply to samfan, 9 months ago

I own the V1 system and the XPro 1 system.

I use the V1 for general family snaps of a fast moving grandchild, etc...

The XP1 is used when I want to really focus on photography (i.e. for me that would be landscapes).

I am also keeping my old 70-200 Nikkor for use on the V1 for wildlife.

Different tools for different jobs.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?
In reply to aChanceEncounter, 9 months ago

aChanceEncounter wrote:

Different tools for different jobs.

My DSLRs and NEX systems have fallen to the wayside. The V1 is the only system camera I have kept. If I plan on shooting action, sports, or any that that moves... when I want high FPS... or where I need long reach... or video... anytime I need a camera that is quick and reliable, the V1 is what I reach for. For landscapes I wanted something more resolving and preferably even more compact.

So I considered a few options including the Fuji X-100S, and to be very honest I wasn't impressed with the IQ. Quirks aside, the Sigma DP1M and DP2M seemed like the obvious choice, but I didn't want to deal with the huge Foveon files and proprietary software. So I settled for the Ricoh GR. Obviously the IQ isn't as resolving as the Sigma, but it's definitely more resolving than the Fuji and as a bonus, much smaller and lighter too.

I noticed a few other N1 owners, Jared Huntr and Joe Marquez / The Smoking Camera, have recently acquired the GR also.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, 9 months ago

Do you like the GR? specifically, do you shoot it in its 35/47mm crop modes?

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?

AustinB wrote:

Do you like the GR? specifically, do you shoot it in its 35/47mm crop modes?

Haven't had a chance to use it much, I need to find a proper wrist strap. Like the V1, the build quality is superb with a magnesium alloy body. It's smaller than I thought it would be and very light. It feels very good in the hand. The crop modes are one of the things that really sold me... it's like having a DSLR that can slide into your pocket with 3 prime lenses--without the inconvenience and hassle of changing lenses. I think this combination (V1 and GR) will work for me.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Matsu
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?
Needs more lenses, but it's still pretty neat.

I feel like a fastish standard utility zoom is in order. Not necessarily small, but not large either. Sony's constant f/2.8 28-200 equivalent seems like a reasonable target.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads