Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?
7 months ago

Or do you prefer to set your focus points manually? I don't do much still life, and shoot lots of candid people shots. I'm finding the X-E1 EVF is lagging a little, and changing focus points is not as efficient as it was on past cameras I've had. For that reason I tend to prefer F/R, despite the issues it can present in any camera.

FWIW, I know the arguments against the technique with particular regards to DOF and focus accuracy. Just wondering what people's experiences and preferences are here?

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?
In reply to AustinB, 7 months ago

Usually, but not always, F/R.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredfiga
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

I've never done otherwise. IMO it's much faster than selecting the focus point. Works great for me.

AustinB
Like?
In reply to Fredfiga, 7 months ago

Do the two of you find that you don't lose a lot of shots with the technique?

Thx for your answers, by the way.

Spud0
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to Fredfiga, 7 months ago

I just got an x-e1 and its my first camera other than my phone.

I'm just shifting the focus to my subject once I compose, but i find it a bit clunky for sure. Can you explain what the focus+recompose method is?

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?

AustinB wrote:

Or do you prefer to set your focus points manually? I don't do much still life, and shoot lots of candid people shots. I'm finding the X-E1 EVF is lagging a little, and changing focus points is not as efficient as it was on past cameras I've had. For that reason I tend to prefer F/R, despite the issues it can present in any camera.

FWIW, I know the arguments against the technique with particular regards to DOF and focus accuracy. Just wondering what people's experiences and preferences are here?

I do use F/R sometimes, but only when there is no danger of the shifting focus plane affecting the image. For precise work I set the focus point explicitly. Also, for tripod shooting.

Regarding efficiency of setting the focus point, I cannot really see how it can be much more efficiently implemented than it currently is, except perhaps for having keys to move the box diagonally in addition to horizontally and vertically. What did you have in mind?

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
AustinB
Like?
In reply to nixda, 7 months ago

It's not terribly slow, but for example, on my Nikon V1 I can use a scroll wheel to move the point horizontally extremely quickly, and then use the arrows to move it vertically. For some reason (perhaps familiarity) at this point it takes about twice as long on the X-E1. In addition, the EVF doesn't seem to refresh quickly if I'm moving around a crowd on, say, a busy street. Operational speed is not the camera's forte, albeit it is much better than I thought it would be after reading the posts here for the last year.

AustinB
Like?
In reply to Spud0, 7 months ago

Spud0 wrote:

I'm just shifting the focus to my subject once I compose, but i find it a bit clunky for sure. Can you explain what the focus+recompose method is?

Hi Spud, simply focus on the desired target with a half press of the shutter, keep the half press while you reposition your subject in the frame, and then complete the deed by fully pressing the shutter. FYI, the technique can be faulty if you are working with a shallow DOF, or with wide lenses, to my knowledge. But I'm shooting with the 35 1.4. Oh...And if you have the time or are shooting still life/portraits, always set the focus point manually.

I'm finding that the X-E1 does F/R really well, experimenting around the house today. Other cameras I've used tend to lose the initial focus point, while the X-E1 seems to keep it sharp in the frame. This is a relief after shooting in a crowd today and fumbling the focus point around while losing shots.

TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348
Like?

AustinB wrote:

I use f/r all the time on rangefinders. With good technique, it is easy to do. I had a rough time at first, but had some good pointers and a lot of practice, so it is second nature now, even shooting at large apertures like 1.4. I have even carefully executed at 1.2. Of course, focal length and distance to subject are big factors due to DOF.

That being said though, I would take movable focus points any day over f/r. Just my opinion. Yes, it takes more time to do it this way vs practiced f/r, but given that time for a particular situation, I would change focus points on the screen. This is incredibly useful as well with cameras that allow you to change the focus point and then magnify on that chosen point.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Fredfiga
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

AustinB wrote:

I'm using this technique for such a long time that nowadays I do it without even thinking about. I'm pretty sure that I do it so fast that I don't miss anything. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but it works for me...

Shawn67
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?

Almost always focus and then recompose. I use all my cameras that way.

Shawn

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,812
Like?

AustinB wrote:

I've owned a countless number of great cameras over the years, made a fair amount of money in the photography business, shot more weddings than I care to remember and have always used the focus and recompose method.

People can say whatever they want about the disadvantages and can use whatever method their hearts desire but 99% of out of focus shots are taken by amateurs using a different method.

AustinB
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 7 months ago

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

I've owned a countless number of great cameras over the years, made a fair amount of money in the photography business, shot more weddings than I care to remember and have always used the focus and recompose method.

People can say whatever they want about the disadvantages and can use whatever method their hearts desire but 99% of out of focus shots are taken by amateurs using a different method.

This is a pretty down to earth forum. This question in other forums would draw some serious lecturing. Feeling better about my being inept with moving the focus point around quickly.

Ed B
Like?

AustinB wrote:

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

This is a pretty down to earth forum. This question in other forums would draw some serious lecturing. Feeling better about my being inept with moving the focus point around quickly.

Well, everyone is different and should do whatever they feel is best for them but I'll agree that moving the focus point around and trying to position it exactly where you want it could be a pain in the neck (or other areas).

Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks there opinion is the correct answer to any question so take anything you read on these forums with a grain of salt.

If you're in a studio environment or shooting landscapes there may be a better focusing method but for general photography, street shooting, portraits, etc. focus and recompose is very reliable.

Naturally, I'm sure several people would disagree with me and that's okay because as long as people are happy with their results, that's all that really matters.

nixda
Like?

AustinB wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

Hi Spud, simply focus on the desired target with a half press of the shutter, keep the half press while you reposition your subject in the frame, and then complete the deed by fully pressing the shutter. FYI, the technique can be faulty if you are working with a shallow DOF, or with wide lenses, to my knowledge. But I'm shooting with the 35 1.4. Oh...And if you have the time or are shooting still life/portraits, always set the focus point manually.

I'm finding that the X-E1 does F/R really well, experimenting around the house today. Other cameras I've used tend to lose the initial focus point, while the X-E1 seems to keep it sharp in the frame. This is a relief after shooting in a crowd today and fumbling the focus point around while losing shots.

I don't understand why it should be different for different cameras/lenses. How can the focus point be lost? The shift in the focus plane upon F/R is dictated by basic laws of geometry that surely don'y differ from camera to camera.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
nixda
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 7 months ago

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Well, everyone is different and should do whatever they feel is best for them but I'll agree that moving the focus point around and trying to position it exactly where you want it could be a pain in the neck (or other areas).

Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks there opinion is the correct answer to any question so take anything you read on these forums with a grain of salt.

If you're in a studio environment or shooting landscapes there may be a better focusing method but for general photography, street shooting, portraits, etc. focus and recompose is very reliable.

Naturally, I'm sure several people would disagree with me and that's okay because as long as people are happy with their results, that's all that really matters.

I guess you shoot only with very deep DoFs, or with your subjects very far away. 

AustinB
Like?

nixda wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

I don't understand why it should be different for different cameras/lenses. How can the focus point be lost? The shift in the focus plane upon F/R is dictated by basic laws of geometry that surely don'y differ from camera to camera.

I worded that in a way that wasn't helpful. There have been times with other cameras in which the initial subject loses much of its sharpness. Hasn't happened much lately, but on the old Canon G9 it was common.

Ed B
Like?

nixda wrote:

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Ed B wrote:

AustinB wrote:

I guess you shoot only with very deep DoFs, or with your subjects very far away.

No, but I will agree that when you're using a fast lens you need to know how to control your depth of field.

nixda
Like?

AustinB wrote:

nixda wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

I worded that in a way that wasn't helpful. There have been times with other cameras in which the initial subject loses much of its sharpness. Hasn't happened much lately, but on the old Canon G9 it was common.

I think that must have been precisely because of the pitfalls of F/R you were alluding to in your initial post (subjects moving out of focus due to shallow DoF). If I wanted to be harsh, I would say "user error"

Try to replicate the same situations (i.e., DoF and subject distances) with your X-E1, and I bet you'll have the same problems.

AustinB
Like?

I don't think so, very difficult to get shallow depth of field on a Canon G9, and I shot most of my stuff at 5.6 and around 35-55mm. In any case, I'm glad it seems to work on the X-E1.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads