What does the Df body style remind you of?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Luego
Contributing MemberPosts: 964
Like?
What does the Df body style remind you of?
10 months ago

When I handled a Df in a camera shop recently, I was surprised how bulky the body was without a decent grip.

Film bodies from the 60's era were much slimmer and the Df reminded me more of a Pentax K-01 without a hump.

Cheers,

Luego

Nikon Df Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bamboojled
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: What does the Df body style remind you of?
In reply to Luego, 10 months ago

Luego wrote:

When I handled a Df in a camera shop recently, I was surprised how bulky the body was without a decent grip.

Film bodies from the 60's era were much slimmer and the Df reminded me more of a Pentax K-01 without a hump.

Cheers,

Luego

Such a sad attempt at trolling...

you should change your name to "Hasta Luego"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241Gear list
Like?

You must have a really bad eyesight to even think that they look similar. You should go see a doctor or should I say doctors.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Boxbrownie
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?

I thought the Df was the camera I had been waiting for (being an old fart and Nikon user for over 42 years) but alas as soon as I saw the basic shape it reminded of one of these rather than a real Nikon....

Not for me I am afraid, and I was really looking forward to this camera.......Nikon, do the right thing and bring a D800E out in an FM/Ftn Body....please.....

ravduc
Like?
In reply to Boxbrownie, 10 months ago

It doesn't seem like they can do it with current technology. The size of the mirror box, autofocusing unit, back lcd screen etc makes it much thicker and taller. I would love to see a dslr camera the size of my Olympus OM 1 and 2 but for now this camera will do. It still feels really good and looks really nice.

Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Luego
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 10 months ago

ravduc wrote:

You must have a really bad eyesight to even think that they look similar. You should go see a doctor or should I say doctors.

Sorry, but I'm not the only one that thinks the Df has the resemblance of a "brick."

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?

No film advand /rewind levers and dEvoid of any "grip" it reminds me of an FE2

Luego
Like?
In reply to Bamboojled, 10 months ago

Bamboojled wrote:

Luego wrote:

Cheers,

Luego

So you have no gear list, just a wish list...keep dreaming...;-)

Luego
Like?
Slimness...50 years of evolution....

Pentax Spotmatic, Gf3 and ZR1

Bamboojled
Like?

Luego wrote:

Bamboojled wrote:

Luego wrote:

Cheers,

Luego

So you have no gear list, just a wish list...keep dreaming...;-)

No, I actually have a very nice system... I just don't feel the need to post all of my gear on the forum as if this is some badge of honor...

BTW, I do own a Df, and it is a fantastic camera for street shooting in existing light. This is where the camera excels...have you shot one?

Bamboojled
Like?
Re: Slimness...50 years of evolution....

Luego wrote:

Pentax Spotmatic, Gf3 and ZR1

Wow you really are clueless aren't you...

Each camera shown has an exponentially smaller sensor, so yes the cameras are smaller, the performance is poorer.

Boxbrownie
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?

Your quite correct of course, and I suppose I still might be tempted by the camera.

It surely is the closest design to a "real Nikon" rather than smoothy, ergonomic black blob that predominates the genre presently (and most likely will do for the forseeable future).

Having said that I retired last Christmas from my job in which I had been using said "digital blobs" starting with the Nikon E2Ns and finishing with the D3X, sad to say I have not picked up a pro camera for 12 months......should I feel guilty?  Nah.......

I still miss turning a knurled knob (no comments please).

Luego
Like?
In reply to Bamboojled, 10 months ago

Two insults in one thread is a record even for me...I just put you on my ignore list!!!

ravduc
Like?

Well Luego, you started the thread and you were asking for it.

Bamboojled
Like?

Luego wrote:

Two insults in one thread is a record even for me...I just put you on my ignore list!!!

YEY!!!!

Keep posting so that we can go for a new record.

Luego
Like?

ravduc wrote:

Well Luego, you started the thread and you were asking for it.

Perhaps I'm guilty of starting the thread, but I expected a discussion about the body style, or lack of.

When shooting a D7100, which has a grip and balanced body, I don't have to worry about using larger lenses than prime lenses. But for Nikon to market the Df as a retro-look-cam with a brick as a body, is not what I expected.

Surely, the sensor QE provides you with a superb IQ, but the road of achieving good results might be awkward.

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734Gear list
Like?

If you are taking about Nikons from the 60's, then you are talking about the Nikon F.  I just weighed my Nikon Photomic F and it weighs 846g without lens.  The Df is a bit thicker but it's definitely lighter.  My Nikon F2AS from the 70s weighs 842g.  I think it's safe to say that the Df, at 710g is the lightweight full frame champ.  Remember, film bodies from the 60s and 70s had no grip.  To make things more awkward, the shutter release on the Nikon F was just above the film plane. This goes for the Nikon FTn also.  Talking about bending you fingers...yet we all got used to it.

I have mounted some of my heavier lenses on my Nikon bodies from the 70s through the 90s and with the exception of the F5, the Df is as comfortable to use as any of the legacy pro bodies.  Don't forget, most of the Nikon film cameras didn't have motor drives, so you had to add one to get the high speed that action photographers needed.  Those motors and batteries were heavy.  I remember lugging my F2AS and F3HP with motor drives around.  They were heavy and the skinny bodies didn't help at all.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +51 more
barkingghost
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, 10 months ago

TITCHY wrote:

You know, when I started looking at pictures of the top of the Df I thought something looked familiar. The FE2 was my first Nikon camera back in the 80's. I think I may need to go to a camera shop tomorrow (35 mile trip into Atlanta) and have a feel.

Sadly, I am not sure if the Df or D800E should come to me by way of spouse holiday acquisition. I miss my FE2.

Kent J
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, 10 months ago

TITCHY wrote:

It's actually closer to the FA a since it had a PASM dial and a shallow (detachable) grip. I think it was pretty clear that the FA was the inspiration for the Df.

-- hide signature --

-Kent
Life is too short for slow glass.
www.kentjoostenphotography.smugmug.com

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads