Olympus 12-40 2.8 Question

Started Dec 21, 2013 | Questions
brood shooter
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Olympus 12-40 2.8 Question
Dec 21, 2013

I just purchased the Only 12-40 2.8 for my OM-D EM-1 and I have been extremely happy with it thus far.  I have a question though.

The zooming part of my lens has a bit of play to it.  is this normal?

I just want to make sure I don't have a defective unit.

Thanks in advance.

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
Describe the play?
In reply to brood shooter, Dec 21, 2013

I also received mine only yesterday but I cannot seem to see anything on the lens with what I would describe as play, the barrel ring for zoom  is firm no movement that isn't conveyed to the mechanism, the snap focus ring is firm as well.  I also have none of the grinding or tight movement noises as described by others?

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brood shooter
Like?
Re: Describe the play?
In reply to lambert4, Dec 21, 2013

The play occurs in the portion of the lens that extends during zooming. That portion of the lens has a bit of movement in directions perpendicular to the barrel. Not in and out from the camera, up, down, right and left and everything in between. It's not a lot of play, but it's there.

JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050Gear list
Like?

brood shooter wrote:

The play occurs in the portion of the lens that extends during zooming. That portion of the lens has a bit of movement in directions perpendicular to the barrel. Not in and out from the camera, up, down, right and left and everything in between. It's not a lot of play, but it's there.

Very little on mine. But it does.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?
Re: Normal
-- hide signature --

BJM

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?

brood shooter wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, when the lens is extended on mine it does have movement less than a mm in all directions, when retracted it is firm.  I haven't had an external zoom lens in so long I have to say I forgot it moved as well.  Nothing but primes and the 35-100 Panasonic which is internal.

-- hide signature --

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
brood shooter
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Dec 21, 2013

lambert4 wrote:

brood shooter wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, when the lens is extended on mine it does have movement less than a mm in all directions, when retracted it is firm. I haven't had an external zoom lens in so long I have to say I forgot it moved as well. Nothing but primes and the 35-100 Panasonic which is internal.

-- hide signature --

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  Peace of mind is a great thing.

Cheers.

Georg Metz
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 12-40 2.8 Question
In reply to brood shooter, 11 months ago

The zooming tube of my 12-40 has a very, very slight play, too. It's so slight, that it's more a little "klick" that i can feel when pushing or pulling the tube up and down or sideways. Imho this is in between the regular tolerances.

Georg Metz's gear list:Georg Metz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
jimTN
Like?
In reply to Georg Metz, 9 months ago

Mine has play too,  and when I carry the camera, I can hear it jiggle. It would be nice to get an official answer on Olympus for this.

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343
Like?
In reply to jimTN, 9 months ago

jimTN wrote:

Mine has play too, and when I carry the camera, I can hear it jiggle. It would be nice to get an official answer on Olympus for this.

Get a replacement? my body and lens have absolutely no play, its of a very high precision and so it should be for £900 in the UK.

lnikj
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to Advent1sam, 9 months ago

You must be very lucky Advent1sam because no externally zooming lens I have ever owned in my life has not a modicum of play in it, including the 12-40.

-- hide signature --
 lnikj's gear list:lnikj's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1
ABM Barry
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to brood shooter, 9 months ago

I purchased the 12-40mm f2.8 last week and I hadn't noticed the play until I read your post. I have a bit of play starting at about 35mm with the max movement being at 40mm which is to be expected if this tolerance is allowable.

I think I will mention it to my retailer so Olympus can give their feed back. I have personally found Olympus here in Australia to be very good with their support.

I doubt it would effect the image quality however, I wonder about the weather sealing?

Thanks for posting, ... Regards, ... Baz

ABM Barry's gear list:ABM Barry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads