Cardinal with 55-200mm

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Cardinal with 55-200mm
7 months ago

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

He really sticks out doesn't he. Yeah, that lens is sharp. I tested well against my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, so I sold it a week later

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

Nice shot! Did you post-process this to bring out the red or desaturate the background? The contrast in colors is striking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to Identity, 7 months ago

I brought out the red. Yeah he really popped coz of the snow and hazy background.

Identity wrote:

Nice shot! Did you post-process this to bring out the red or desaturate the background? The contrast in colors is striking.

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

I may have found a good 2nd telephoto camera+lens combo for events.

Al Valentino wrote:

He really sticks out doesn't he. Yeah, that lens is sharp. I tested well against my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, so I sold it a week later

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

Damn, that's nice.

-- hide signature --

Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to OdzBodkinz, 7 months ago

Looks cold... Brrrrr.... Great capture...

 Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Torgny Dellsen
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Wonderful. Could you post some more with the 55-200? Pretty please

-- hide signature --
 Torgny Dellsen's gear list:Torgny Dellsen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm (more 55-200)
In reply to Torgny Dellsen, 7 months ago

Just some test snaps from 55-200mm. It's a great lens. closing down 1 stop makes the photos really sharp.

another tight crop. I used f4.8 which is soft. using f5.6 at 200mm gives much sharper photos

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Wonderful. Could you post some more with the 55-200? Pretty please

-- hide signature --
 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Torgny Dellsen
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm (more 55-200)
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

J720 wrote:

Just some test snaps from 55-200mm. It's a great lens. closing down 1 stop makes the photos really sharp.

another tight crop. I used f4.8 which is soft. using f5.6 at 200mm gives much sharper photos

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Wonderful. Could you post some more with the 55-200? Pretty please

-- hide signature --

Thank you. Do you ever miss your heavy gear? What about dog photo (a special interest of mine)?

-- hide signature --
 Torgny Dellsen's gear list:Torgny Dellsen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,287Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

Wow! One of the bet bird shots I have seen on dpreview. Excellent shot.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm (more 55-200)
In reply to Torgny Dellsen, 7 months ago

I only use 5D2 and L lenses for paid shoots now. Sorry I dont have any dog photos.

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

J720 wrote:

Just some test snaps from 55-200mm. It's a great lens. closing down 1 stop makes the photos really sharp.

another tight crop. I used f4.8 which is soft. using f5.6 at 200mm gives much sharper photos

Torgny Dellsen wrote:

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Wonderful. Could you post some more with the 55-200? Pretty please

-- hide signature --

Thank you. Do you ever miss your heavy gear? What about dog photo (a special interest of mine)?

-- hide signature --
 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

That's a remarkable shot and so are many of your photos on your Smugmug. A few months ago I tried the XA1 for a week while visiting Miami and was extremely pleased with the results. I did miss a viewfinder and the XE2 was pending so I returned it thinking that I would look at the XE2. Then Sony announced the new A7/R.

Im really looking for a small travel camera and the more I thought and the more I looked back at my XA1 shots, the more convinced I am that the XA1 is more than enough for what I need it for. Now that the Xmas sales are here, the XA1 kit is now $100 off ($499) and I can save $200 off the 50-230 when bought together. So $700 (Canadian)isn't bad for a nice travel kit.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

 Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mainger
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

From a purely ornithological point of view, could you post the original? I'd like to see what it looks like in "real colors".

 mainger's gear list:mainger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to mainger, 7 months ago

mainger wrote:

From a purely ornithological point of view, could you post the original? I'd like to see what it looks like in "real colors".

I think those are the real colors.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

 Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 7 months ago

Thanks! saw your article on 14mm before i made the purchase. I love the quality of the 14mm also... its making me think about 23mm coz of the manual focus knob.

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Wow! One of the bet bird shots I have seen on dpreview. Excellent shot.

-- hide signature --
 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to Red G8R, 7 months ago

Im also thinking about the XA1 as a second body (with 55-200mm permanently attached). it's such a steal.

Red G8R wrote:

That's a remarkable shot and so are many of your photos on your Smugmug. A few months ago I tried the XA1 for a week while visiting Miami and was extremely pleased with the results. I did miss a viewfinder and the XE2 was pending so I returned it thinking that I would look at the XE2. Then Sony announced the new A7/R.

Im really looking for a small travel camera and the more I thought and the more I looked back at my XA1 shots, the more convinced I am that the XA1 is more than enough for what I need it for. Now that the Xmas sales are here, the XA1 kit is now $100 off ($499) and I can save $200 off the 50-230 when bought together. So $700 (Canadian)isn't bad for a nice travel kit.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DrBulb
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to J720, 7 months ago

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Congratulations on a great shot. The 55-200 has been on my wish list for the last four months. I have just pushed it up to the top thanks to your image. A lot of people seem very thrilled with it.

Clive

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to DrBulb, 7 months ago

Thank you. This lens is really worth the price tag. It gives you F4 canon L quality. It is less bright, but the size is also a lot smaller. I seem to get more focused shots w this lens compared to 70-200mm L and 55-250mm kit from canon. Canon tends to give me  a lot of "confirmed focus", but turns out its not.

DrBulb wrote:

J720 wrote:

A heavily cropped photo using the 55-200mm. I love this lens. I believe its sharper than my canon 70-200mm L lens (sold) and 55-250mm. The best thing is i got it for $500 during that insane fuji sale.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-tttDs

(Sorry for the huge watermarks on this gallery. Smugmug is having some watermaking bug)

Congratulations on a great shot. The 55-200 has been on my wish list for the last four months. I have just pushed it up to the top thanks to your image. A lot of people seem very thrilled with it.

Clive

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Cardinal with 55-200mm
In reply to mainger, 7 months ago

I boosted saturation a bit since RAW file dulls it down. It's really bright red and the snow made it pop.

mainger wrote:

From a purely ornithological point of view, could you post the original? I'd like to see what it looks like in "real colors".

 J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads