Just unwrapped a 12-40mm lens...wow is an understatement.

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380Gear list
Like?
Just unwrapped a 12-40mm lens...wow is an understatement.
Dec 20, 2013

I sold old my PL25mm, Oly 12-50, Oly 45 and bought this beauty based on user thoughts and need for something faster and wider than the 12-50 allowed.  I have to say it is the most stout feeling lens I have picked up for the micro four thirds system.  I have the 35-100/2.8 and love it I really struggled as many here have with the 12-35 Panasonic or  12-40 Olympus.  For me the close focusing distance and new in camera CA correction is a big deal.

i have yet to download the images but the quick snapshots I am chomping on my EM5 look as good as any of my other lens.  And the AF is lightening quick.  The size is bigger than I expected but in a very acceptable way the large diameter makes MF smoother, and the dampening on the zoom ring and focus ring is exceptional (firm yet smooth). The snap focus ring functions just like the 17/1.8 but the focus seems more intuitive and less "by wire".

so far I am extremely happy.  Hopefully there will be a few images to share soon.  I really thought about the EM1 combo either for monetary savings on a lens or because newer is always better (joking) but honestly this lens on the EM5 even with no HLD-6 grip is really nice and secure.

I cannot wait for some shutter time now to get out and play.  I tried to use the 12-50 a few more times this past month hoping to convince myself it was sufficient at the wide end, but alas I just didn't connect.  this is a serious improvement, and the close focus is within a inch of the hood even at 40mm I am not a macro guy but liked the ability to get in tight sometimes this is more than enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Re: Just unwrapped a 12-40mm lens...wow is an understatement.
In reply to lambert4, Dec 20, 2013

lambert4 wrote:

I sold old my PL25mm, Oly 12-50, Oly 45 and bought this beauty based on user thoughts and need for something faster and wider than the 12-50 allowed. I have to say it is the most stout feeling lens I have picked up for the micro four thirds system. I have the 35-100/2.8 and love it I really struggled as many here have with the 12-35 Panasonic or 12-40 Olympus. For me the close focusing distance and new in camera CA correction is a big deal.

i have yet to download the images but the quick snapshots I am chomping on my EM5 look as good as any of my other lens. And the AF is lightening quick. The size is bigger than I expected but in a very acceptable way the large diameter makes MF smoother, and the dampening on the zoom ring and focus ring is exceptional (firm yet smooth). The snap focus ring functions just like the 17/1.8 but the focus seems more intuitive and less "by wire".

so far I am extremely happy. Hopefully there will be a few images to share soon. I really thought about the EM1 combo either for monetary savings on a lens or because newer is always better (joking) but honestly this lens on the EM5 even with no HLD-6 grip is really nice and secure.

I cannot wait for some shutter time now to get out and play. I tried to use the 12-50 a few more times this past month hoping to convince myself it was sufficient at the wide end, but alas I just didn't connect. this is a serious improvement, and the close focus is within a inch of the hood even at 40mm I am not a macro guy but liked the ability to get in tight sometimes this is more than enough for me.

-- hide signature --

The 12-40 F2.8 is by far my favorite.

Look up the definition of "quality", and you might see a picture of that lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,433Gear list
Like?

lambert4 wrote:

...... For me the close focusing distance and new in camera CA correction is a big deal.

The in-camera CA correction is with E-M1 only so far (and with all Panasonics), but truth be told I use Panasonic lenses on E-PL5 and so far have not been troubled by CA affliction anyway, it's a totally over-rated thing to worry about, and easily removed/disguised anyway in post if it shows up.

Leave off 100% pixel peeping and most problems fade away.

As for 12-40mm relevance to me, yes, definitely on my shopping list. Not sure when but definitely for next major overseas holiday, and it will be on that E-PL5.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,082Gear list
Like?

I'm still waiting for mine and probably will be still waiting next week. But I know what you mean. I handled one a couple of weeks ago on an E-M1 and it is a solid handful.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
wilsonc
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?

12-40mm is an amazing lens both from construction and picture quality point of view. Since you use EM5, it is worthwhile to attach a thirdparty grip to improve handling if you didn't have one before. I added a JB grip w/ my 12-40mm and it handles just as well as an EM1.

wilsonc's gear list:wilsonc's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Ultbruin
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

Thanks for sharing. Interested in the 12-40 for my GX7.

Any downside or neg with that combination?

-- hide signature --
 Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Dec 20, 2013

kcamacho11 wrote:

Think so?  Check out this thread:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56256

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Evers, Dec 21, 2013

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Think so? Check out this thread:

pick something, add prefix "broken" then google it and you will find the image of that thing broken. for every single thing that exists, man or nature made.. if it's not there yet, it will be

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Ricardo Maia
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jolly Oly, Dec 21, 2013

Jolly Oly wrote:

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

pick something, add prefix "broken" then google it and you will find the image of that thing broken. for every single thing that exists, man or nature made.. if it's not there yet, it will be

-- hide signature --

The fragility of the lens on the plastic part reminds me of those cheap TV's remotes...

Ricardo Maia's gear list:Ricardo Maia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S
Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ricardo Maia, Dec 21, 2013

Ricardo Maia wrote:

Jolly Oly wrote:

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

-- hide signature --

The fragility of the lens on the plastic part reminds me of those cheap TV's remotes...

You were there and witnessed the impact ? Somehow I can't believe brilliant engineers in Olympus camera division are capable to design a 5 axis ibis and suddenly can't figure how to secure a lens mount to the lens. On the other hand I know for fact that most things are prone to be broken if excessive forces are applied.

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
lambert4
Like?

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I always like to give every post a benefit of the doubt and would also like to think that a lens no matter the designation of PRO or otherwise was built to last.  I also seem to always see the random posts come up here such as tripod threads pulling out of the EM5 and paint chipping off and all the various complaints yet seldom do they turn into the outbreaks that seem eminent.

We will see where this leads and if it is a product wide problem like the bezel on the tilt screen I will trust that the manufacturer will support the buyers.

All that being said my EM5 that supposedly had all the issues and more that I mentioned is still playing well with others 18 months later, and the images thus far in the LCD taken with the new 12-40 are as good as any other lens I have used on m4/3 and the performance seems on par with any professional zoom I have shot with.

i am not undermining what is a legitimate broken lens, but before we all run from the falling sky lets get the facts and see the outcome and actions of Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,082Gear list
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Dec 21, 2013

I've seen this on three different sites and it's always the same guy, with the same incident. Lots of comments. Lots of clicks. But so far, no more incidents.

By tge the way, I just backed my Lexus into a telephone pole and the taillight broke. What sort of way us that to build a $45,000 car?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, Dec 21, 2013

Jim Salvas wrote:

I've seen this on three different sites and it's always the same guy, with the same incident. Lots of comments. Lots of clicks. But so far, no more incidents.

By tge the way, I just backed my Lexus into a telephone pole and the taillight broke. What sort of way us that to build a $45,000 car?

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Actually, three different folk have had a similar problem if you were to go through the thread.

-- hide signature --

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
lambert4
Like?
I actually looked at this thread before buying. Thanks for linking to it.

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I don't want to undermind a legitimate issue, but after a few weeks of user reviews and literally trolling the web for deals usually seller incentives, and then having one available when my lens assortment sold I pulled the trigger.  The break is real and the images legit, even the circumstances.  But the likelihood is what got me, I have seen flukes and after the images and user reviews I weighed my needs and options.

Time will tell and I will follow the thread to see the outcome.

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Bruce Clarke
Senior MemberPosts: 2,584Gear list
Like?

Good choice with the E-M5. I got the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8s, and while great, the CA on the JPGs with the 12-35 was a slight annoyance on the E-M5 (the 35-100 hardly has any). Now with the E-M1, the CA is gone on the JPGs, and I don't feel a strong need to get the Oly 12-40, and enjoy the smaller size of the 12-35.

Bruce

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Clarke's gear list:Bruce Clarke's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?

Ron Evers wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

-- hide signature --

there's always a hair in the soup, isn't it? Anyways, i have to say i love the lens.

pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 904Gear list
Like?

lambert4 wrote:

I sold old my PL25mm, Oly 12-50, Oly 45 and bought this beauty based on user thoughts and need for something faster and wider than the 12-50 allowed. I have to say it is the most stout feeling lens I have picked up for the micro four thirds system. I have the 35-100/2.8 and love it I really struggled as many here have with the 12-35 Panasonic or 12-40 Olympus. For me the close focusing distance and new in camera CA correction is a big deal.

i have yet to download the images but the quick snapshots I am chomping on my EM5 look as good as any of my other lens. And the AF is lightening quick. The size is bigger than I expected but in a very acceptable way the large diameter makes MF smoother, and the dampening on the zoom ring and focus ring is exceptional (firm yet smooth). The snap focus ring functions just like the 17/1.8 but the focus seems more intuitive and less "by wire".

so far I am extremely happy. Hopefully there will be a few images to share soon. I really thought about the EM1 combo either for monetary savings on a lens or because newer is always better (joking) but honestly this lens on the EM5 even with no HLD-6 grip is really nice and secure.

I cannot wait for some shutter time now to get out and play. I tried to use the 12-50 a few more times this past month hoping to convince myself it was sufficient at the wide end, but alas I just didn't connect. this is a serious improvement, and the close focus is within a inch of the hood even at 40mm I am not a macro guy but liked the ability to get in tight sometimes this is more than enough for me.

-- hide signature --

I have the lens since about 2 weeks. Like you i was concerned with the size at first. But i was carrying it for most of time on a long weekend trip to San Francisco, and it felt just right. I cannot really talk about mechanical quality other than that it feels great. However, the optical quality is great. I use it with an EM1 and really love the combination. Very responsive, great handling.

Some shots:

http://flic.kr/p/ipG81n

http://flic.kr/p/ipFk4o

http://flic.kr/p/ipErCZ

http://flic.kr/p/ipFgkv

http://flic.kr/p/ipEgp2

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jolly Oly, Dec 21, 2013

At least three separate lenses that broke at the exact same spot. Three lenses which were assembled with screws that aren't long enough to thread completely into the mounting bosses, and whiich broke right at the end of those screws.

No, three lenses doesn't prove anything, but these images are troubling. And denial won't solve any problems, either.

Then there's the dichotomy between Oly's claims of "all metallic construction" and the reality of an all plastic lens with a thin metal shell over the plastic.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Read before posting
In reply to Jim Salvas, Dec 21, 2013

There are three different people, with three separate lenses, all of which broke in exactly the same location, without sever impact (unless you believe all 3 are lying.

Jim Salvas wrote:I've seen this on three different sites and it's always the same guy, with the same incident. Lots of comments. Lots of clicks. But so far, no more incidents.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
carguy
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
In reply to pede59, Dec 21, 2013

59 nice shots

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads