Concerned ...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
MoBokeh
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to Vlasty, 8 months ago

In case you're not aware of it Vlasty, on the G6 and GX-7(don't know about other models) you can adjust the aspect ratio in the viewfinder(1:1, 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 are the options) so you don't have to crop in post processing.  You are correct, however, that for 3:2 you are using a smaller part of the sensor, but that smaller part is still a lot larger than the 1" sensor on the 1 series Nikons.  I find it a lot of fun trying out the different aspect ratios.  Recently, I've been using 1:1 quite a bit and find it a good choice for certain subjects and situations.....Instagram not included.

The new Lumix GX-7 has a fastest shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second, as does the new Olympus EM-1.

Btw, the G6 and GX-7 also have wi-fi and can connect to your android smart phone via NFC if your phone supports it.  All kinds of possibilities here.

Did I mention the fantastic touch screen?

Well, I'm sure everyone's had enough MFT talk on this thread by now......so back to your regular scheduled programming.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MoBokeh
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to WCguy, 8 months ago

WCguy wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe Nikon put some decent lenses out there for the N1 system to see how well they would sell and if everyone felt the same way and not bought any, Nikon might just move away from the N1 system , in North America at least. I personally bought into their new lenses in hope they will continue to improve the system.Waiting one or two more months isn't going to make a difference to me, I have many cameras to use while I wait. Now saying that, if nothing happens at these next two shows, I will make a decision whether or not to keep what I have or buy into another system. The V1 still works for me, I had it from the very beginning (at the original price). One never knows what is going to come out next year , everything is moving very fast in the digital world, is anyone ever happy or satisfied with what they have for more than a few months anymore. WC

WC, yes everything is moving quickly in the digital world. It is for exactly this reason I didn't want to get stuck sinking a lot of money into a system that could be dropped, NOT LONG AFTER IT LAUNCHED. Frankly, Nikon publicly announcing the "rethink" statement, I feel, was an enormous marketing blunder. If Nikon hadn't previously committed to axing the Nikon 1 series(or at least the more advanced V models), this statement alone might be enough to do it. Since release of the "rethink" statement, I doubt I'm alone in questioning putting more money into a system that seems it could be doomed in the near future.

As far as waiting goes, I decided not to wait on Nikon while they decide what they're going to do. After all, how long have Nikon crop sensor shooters been waiting on that D400?

In answer to your question of satisfaction - for its combination of size, performance and what I paid for it, I'm very happy with my V1. Because of its size, I generally have it in the car with me, and probably will use it until it breaks. I just won't be adding to the system, or get another body(if they'll even be available) when it does break.

PS - I could possibly make one exception and add the 18.5mm prime. It's quite inexpensive, gets great reviews, and on my V1 would make a very nice, compact, and fairly fast package.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to WCguy, 8 months ago

WCguy wrote:

… One never knows what is going to come out next year , everything is moving very fast in the digital world, is anyone ever happy or satisfied with what they have for more than a few months anymore. WC

I'm happy and satisfied with my V1 and my two main lenses. I don't understand why so many expect something new every few months and why they start talking about changing camera brands if nothing new gets introduced every few months.

I buy a camera if that camera has the feature set and image quality I want (or is good enough). Newer cameras don't change the things the camera I bought can do. Sure, something better is always nice, but I don't need and want the best of the best (otherwise I would shoot a D800E or a Leica S2 or something like that).

I get the impression that many camera users are buy cameras because they want to have the newest, cooles camera and not a camera for making pictures.

 myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stefanik
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to myzel, 8 months ago

myzel wrote:

WCguy wrote:

… One never knows what is going to come out next year , everything is moving very fast in the digital world, is anyone ever happy or satisfied with what they have for more than a few months anymore. WC

I'm happy and satisfied with my V1 and my two main lenses. I don't understand why so many expect something new every few months and why they start talking about changing camera brands if nothing new gets introduced every few months.

I buy a camera if that camera has the feature set and image quality I want (or is good enough). Newer cameras don't change the things the camera I bought can do. Sure, something better is always nice, but I don't need and want the best of the best (otherwise I would shoot a D800E or a Leica S2 or something like that).

I get the impression that many camera users are buy cameras because they want to have the newest, cooles camera and not a camera for making pictures.

I partially agree with you. Is a personal consideration, but ther is some aspect of the "1" that is not so evident.

When i bought my V1 almost 2 years ago (full priced), i known it's limit and it's capabilities so, many aspect of the system wasn't i surprice for me (DOF/ISO etc ...).

What is wery disapponting (and is not predictable i think), is the wery hight drop in af performance beetween good and poor light and also the af reliability.

In many cases is not possible to grab focus correctly and the percentage of missed shoots is not so small compared to DSRL (generally conditions ... i don't take shoot only in sunny days).

Probably (and fotunatelly for the system) is not a common problem, but in my case i'll be wery wary happy wether the V3 solve this type of issues (and improve some others, obviously).

bye

p.s. my V1 is the second i take: the first was substitute after 3 months

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Blanko00
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to stefanik, 8 months ago

There's nothing substantial in the rumour at all... pure supposition. I'll sleep fine.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to stefanik, 8 months ago

stefanik wrote: …

What is wery disapponting (and is not predictable i think), is the wery hight drop in af performance beetween good and poor light and also the af reliability.

In many cases is not possible to grab focus correctly and the percentage of missed shoots is not so small compared to DSRL (generally conditions ... i don't take shoot only in sunny days). …

Hm, the AF performance - even in low light - is something I like about the V1. It's very good with the 18.5 and 32. Not surprisingly as it turns to contrast AF in low light and a faster lens allows faster contrast AF. Haven't used the 10-30mm since the 18.5 came out.

Since the V1 uses in low light contrast detect AF it has problems with different AF targets compared to the phase detect AF of my D90, but overall they are very similar in their low light AF performance/accuracy.

I get the same amount of images in perfect focus with my V1 as I get with my D90, maybe even more with the V1 because the AF points cover the whole frame.

 myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: Concerned ...
In reply to myzel, 8 months ago

myzel wrote:

I get the impression that many camera users are buy cameras because they want to have the newest, cooles camera and not a camera for making pictures.

I don't think so, Myzel. It's a matter of lens cost. The best lenses for the system are the ultra-wide and the 32mm. That will put you back 1,500$, and for that you deserve to know that the system will continue. People don't need a new camera, but they need to know if there will be a new camera a few years from now. Understandable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads