No spare batteries for new GX7!!!! Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
No spare batteries for new GX7!!!!
10 months ago

The DMW-BLG10 battery, listed in the instructions for my GX7 that is still under the tree, is unavailable or discontinued.

It can't be ordered at www.shop.panasonic.

I started a Panasonic support chat. I was directed to 800-332-5368 for US Parts and Accessories. They were quick to answer and said there are 400 on back order with no delivery estimate. They would not offer a substitute. The price would be $60 if they did have one.

B&H shows them as "discontinued" and is selling the "Watson" brand as a replacement for $25 with a lower mAh rating.

Amazon does not have it. There are a couple of Amazon contractors that have substitute brands. One is "Halciyon" and another is "Power2000". One option is a two battery kit with charger for $24.

Adorama wants $50 and says, "Please note: This item is currently back-ordered by the manufacturer. Although we have no estimated time of arrival for this item, you can order it now and it will ship as soon as it arrives. Your card will only be charged once item is shipped."

Some say in various places that a Panasonic DMW-BLE9 from another camera works, but it has a little less mAh than the standard BLG10.

I guess I'll just have to see how long a single battery lasts and quit shooting when dead!

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SamTruax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,732Gear list
Re: No spare batteries for new GX7!!!!
In reply to BillSprague, 10 months ago

Try Henrys.com in Canada.  They list them as available when I last checked this morning.

I purchase from them all the time...good customer service and quick shipping.

-- hide signature --

Sam
'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

SamTruax's gear list:SamTruax's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 +4 more
Ultbruin
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list

Single OEM battery has lasted me about 500+ shots, much more than the 330-350 claimed.

I also have the Power2000 batteries.  One gets me about 350-450, the other one about 250 shots.

-- hide signature --
 Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Davidwa
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
In reply to Ultbruin, 10 months ago

The official battery for the GX1 is DMW BLG10E 1025mAh, however battery DMW BLE9E  940mAh also is suitable. In the UK Panasonic gave a free case and battery with the GX7, the free battery they issued was the slightly lower capacity DMW BLE9E.

Davidwa's gear list:Davidwa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,051Gear list
What's the problem and surprise? Get the Watsons.

They work very well on my GH3, and others have reported good experiences with them. Why would you want to pay $60 for a battery?

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,325Gear list

I would go ahead and order third party batteries.  Use those first, and expect them to die unexpectedly quickly....that is to say there is no 3/3, 2/3, 1/3 in an slow sequence...the bars will read 3/3, 2/3 and then go to 1/3 and 0 very very quickly.  You will still get a decent number of shots out the third party battery, perhaps more than the 350 or so CIPA rating. By using the third party batteries first, you save your Panasonic battery for last, with its more reliable bar reading...so you can anticipate the final life expectancy more reliiably.

That, at least, has been my experience with GX1, I had a similar issue with batteries at one point, and found the third party batteries seem to work OK...Wasabi or DTSE in my case.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
BillSprague
In reply to Davidwa, 10 months ago

Davidwa wrote:

The official battery for the GX1 is DMW BLG10E 1025mAh, however battery DMW BLE9E 940mAh also is suitable. In the UK Panasonic gave a free case and battery with the GX7, the free battery they issued was the slightly lower capacity DMW BLE9E.

Thanks. It probably works fine.

Searching for the BJE9 kicks up a lot of cheap "knock offs" too. Or, it is out of stock. When I chatted with Panasonic and talked to them on the phone, they offered no substitutes.

It is just as out of stock at the others at B&H!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815144-REG/Panasonic_DMW_BLE9_DMW_BLE9_Lithium_Ion_Battery_940mAh.html

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
BillSprague
Re: What's the problem and surprise? Get the Watsons.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 10 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

They work very well on my GH3, and others have reported good experiences with them. Why would you want to pay $60 for a battery?

-- hide signature --

I probably will get Watsons from B&H because they back everything they sell so well.  But, I'm going to have to wait as I'm leaving on a trip and it takes too long to get shipping to Washington State from New York.

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

Corkcampbell
Yeah, I've had good experience with DSTE, but Watson are far better.
In reply to Chas2, 10 months ago

Which is probably why they cost more - usually about $25-30, but I got over three hours of recording on my GH3 from a Watson last summer on my GH3 and it was nowhere near empty. I had to order some cheapies for my new Sony RX10 a few days ago because I'm overseas now and couldn't order "better" ones from B&H. Don't know if they are DSTEs or not. Fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
I'd never heard of Watson until last summer.

But, if their other batteries are as good as the ones I bought at B&H in July for my GH3, people should be happy with them.

-- hide signature --

Pictures shooter
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list

I got DSTE DMW-BLG10 7.4V 1300mAh 9.6Wh (for about 15 USD)

All these figures are better than genuine Panasonic battery provides, but it takes time to check if it's true

I did just fifty shots and it still works fine.

Pictures shooter's gear list:Pictures shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R
gteague
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
In reply to Chas2, 10 months ago

Chas2 wrote:

I would go ahead and order third party batteries. Use those first, and expect them to die unexpectedly quickly....that is to say there is no 3/3, 2/3, 1/3 in an slow sequence...the bars will read 3/3, 2/3 and then go to 1/3 and 0 very very quickly. You will still get a decent number of shots out the third party battery, perhaps more than the 350 or so CIPA rating. By using the third party batteries first, you save your Panasonic battery for last, with its more reliable bar reading...so you can anticipate the final life expectancy more reliiably.

That, at least, has been my experience with GX1, I had a similar issue with batteries at one point, and found the third party batteries seem to work OK...Wasabi or DTSE in my case.

exactly my experience with the two wasabi batteries i got from amazon. i've had to do this for years with olympus (anyone else remember the em5 launch?) and panasonic (not so much sony)--buy the cheapies (japanese sourced  if at all possible) as spares and make do until they produce the damm things. you'd think the manufacturers would learn after the umpteenth time this happens, but they never ever do. idiots.

/guy

-- hide signature --

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
MarkyM
Contributing MemberPosts: 883Gear list
In reply to gteague, 10 months ago

I am using the Wasabi kit with 2 batteries and charger from Amazon and it is working fine so far.

MarkyM's gear list:MarkyM's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
JimB630
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list

I thought I found one last week at B&H! I ordered it quickly. Then checking the shipment tracking yesterday, I noticed it is a DMW-BCG10PP, not a DMW-BL10PP for the GX7. Yeah, can't seem to find one anywhere.

-- hide signature --

Jim B in Indiana

JimB630's gear list:JimB630's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
AsphericalDream
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list

I've just ordered the Halciyon batteries off amazon. it's 20.99 $. you get two batteries and a small charger. the batteries are advertised as 1400 mAh. reviews are favorable. I'll let you know how it worked for me.

AsphericalDream's gear list:AsphericalDream's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list

Yes, the lack of Panasonic replacement batteries for the GX7 is really silly and frustrating.  Right up there with no all-black GX7 bodies for the US (got my black body from B&H though with the kit lens and 20/1.7 II bundle - should be here on Friday).

I just bought two Power2000 batteries (1200mAh) that claim they are chipped such that the batter level indicator in the GX7 will be accurate - we'll see.  I'm expecting the #of shots with the GX7 to be similar to my GH2 - i.e., it won't last terribly long under heavy use.

At least I'll have one OEM battery to compare the Power2000 batteries to.

- John

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
BillSprague
In reply to AsphericalDream, 10 months ago

AsphericalDream wrote:

I've just ordered the Halciyon batteries off amazon. it's 20.99 $. you get two batteries and a small charger. the batteries are advertised as 1400 mAh. reviews are favorable. I'll let you know how it worked for me.

I'm going to blow risk $17 on two Halciyon batteries without the charger.  Amazon is good at making it right if it is not.  I'd get the Watson's from B&H, but don't have time.

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list

Are the Halycons chipped?  It doesn't state - so I assume they're not.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
AsphericalDream

for 4$, I'll take the charger. I can use it in my car.

Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
AsphericalDream
In reply to Laszlo13, 10 months ago

what does that mean ? chipped for what?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads