Setting up an X-E1? Tips? Settings?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Spud0
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Setting up an X-E1? Tips? Settings?
11 months ago

I just got a new X-E1.

I'm familiar with the concept of exposure, and often shoot my work DSLRs in manual/RAW. However - I've never actually programmed/set up a digital camera for personal use and I'm a little intimidated by menus and such.

I'm reading the owner's manual with my coffee as we speak - but can any x-e1 veterans give me some tips or setting suggestions. Specifically for OOC JPEGs since I don't have a PP program picked out just yet(i use CS3 @ work which doesn't appear to be compatible with the x-e1 files?)

RAW+Fine seems to be a popular choice for people who want to shoot JPEGs but also have a RAW file to do PP on - as well as AUTO ISO 6400. What about exposure dial, DR, NR?

Thanks in advance.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Setting up an X-E1? Tips? Settings?
In reply to Spud0, 11 months ago

I think a lot of the JPG settings are personal preferences and that you'll find a wide variety among NR / highlights / shadows / colour / sharpness settings.

Remembering that EVF and LCD have to be set separately, I use EV, histogram, distance scale, shutter, aperture, ISO and battery. Distance scale gets in the way a bit, though.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599Gear list
Like?

Spud0 wrote:

I just got a new X-E1.

I'm familiar with the concept of exposure, and often shoot my work DSLRs in manual/RAW. However - I've never actually programmed/set up a digital camera for personal use and I'm a little intimidated by menus and such.

I'm reading the owner's manual with my coffee as we speak - but can any x-e1 veterans give me some tips or setting suggestions. Specifically for OOC JPEGs since I don't have a PP program picked out just yet(i use CS3 @ work which doesn't appear to be compatible with the x-e1 files?)

RAW+Fine seems to be a popular choice for people who want to shoot JPEGs but also have a RAW file to do PP on - as well as AUTO ISO 6400. What about exposure dial, DR, NR?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone likely has slightly tweaked settings to meet their personal preferences. I can share what I do and my approach in general. It has been the same with my X100 (since Nov 2011) as well as my new X-E1.

• Understand that the only true auto mode on these cameras is to set the aperture ring to "A" and then the shutter speed to "A". In the rare circumstance I do this, I use auto-ISO. By using this method, it does disable your exposure comp dial. I typically stay with Aperture or Shutter priority (98% of the time).
  • Auto ISO, I set it to the max you can. X-E1 at 6400 (X100 at 3200)
  • A new firmware update is coming VERY soon for the X-E1 that will allow you to set the minimum shutter speed during auto ISO. I miss this a lot as it is on the X100. I can't wait!
  • I shoot almost all fine JPG...the Fuji jpg engine is that good IMO. I never did that with DSLR's.
  • I use RAW+fine for very high dynamic range scenes or when I "need" max IQ
  • I set the DR settings to AUTO most of the time. Situationally, I'll lock it down to DR100.
  • JPG: we all have preferences on the film simulation modes. Play with them and see what you like best for different needs.
  • Exp comp, in bright light, I typically need a -1/3EV for the X-E1 and the X100. Indoor, I typically expose to the "right" and bump it too +1/3EV, especially in low light.

Here are some links you may find useful, especially the tone control and film simulation posts.

http://lxcellent.blogspot.com/2012/12/using-fuji-x-e1-tone-controls.html

http://lxcellent.blogspot.com/2012/12/using-in-camera-raw-processor.html

http://lxcellent.blogspot.com/2012/12/using-fuji-x-e1-film-simulations.html

Above all, there is NO ONE RIGHT configuration for everyone. Experiment, have fun and enjoy your Fuji!

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com
http://500px.com/kwaphoto/sets

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
stevenreed
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to kwa_photo, 11 months ago

Hi Spud, have a look at the xe1 user guide [not manual] it gives you an easy basic view off how to get around the camera which i found really easy when i first got my xe1, and as others have said there is only one person who knows what settings to use and that will be you, good luck and look forward to seeing some of your images soon.   steve

Spud0
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to stevenreed, 11 months ago

Thanks guys, I'm going to shoot in Aperture Priority until I get the hang of all the dials and menus.

Any suggestions on metering?

Whats a good use for the Fn button if I have AUTO 6400 ISO anyway?

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638Gear list
Like?

Spud0 wrote:

Thanks guys, I'm going to shoot in Aperture Priority until I get the hang of all the dials and menus.

Any suggestions on metering?

Whats a good use for the Fn button if I have AUTO 6400 ISO anyway?

One good use is film simulations, but whatever you find yourself changing most often.

And the manual will not mention the second Fn button (the down arrow), which came with a firmware update.  Many use that for the Focus Area -- it's an easy way to increase/decrease its size and move it around the screen.

The best all-around source on the E1, written in very clear language, is Rico Pfirstinger's book on the X-Pro1 and X-E1. It can be downloaded from Amazon in a Kindle edition. I keep it on my tablet and refer to it on occasion.

Continuous focus on the E1, in my opinion, doesn't work very well. I limit my focusing to S-AF or manual.

It is good to know that when you are in Manual focus mode, the Focus lock button will fix focus upon a subject, which can then be fine-tuned manually.

Enjoy!! It's a great, if not speedy, camera that delivers outstanding results.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads