Wildlife lens?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Platanomangu
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Wildlife lens?
4 months ago

hi, im trying to buy a lens for outdors photography like birds ect but i dont know which one to buy, i have a tamron 70-200 but is short for my needs, my budged is 1100. thank you

Platanomangu's gear list:Platanomangu's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7100 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Emphyrio2
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Re: Wildlife lens?
In reply to Platanomangu, 4 months ago

I would set aside $160 of your budget for one of those Korean made f6.3 500 mm mirrors which you can get from Samyang, Rokinon, or Pro-Optic. Totally manual operation but best reach for the buck.  If you have a good raw processor for denoising you can shoot handheld at ISO 1600.  I have attached a few shots taken with this lens. Pixel peepers will complain of blur, but where else can you get 500 mm for under $200?  This lens is a great deal of fun.  JAH

Female Northern Cardinal

Sustainable Lifestyle

Brown Thrasher

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuvarsky
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?

I would recommend the Sigma 150-500 for your budget.  Flexible range, excellent quality, optical stabilization (for hand held), and auto focus.

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
NikonNature
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

My pick would be the Nikon 300mm f/4. It takes a teleconverter very well for extra reach. I use mine with a 1.7x TC (See my flickr page for samples).

That being said, I know others who went with the Sigma 50-500 or 150-500 and are generally happy with the results.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II
Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,805Gear list
Like?

Platanomangu wrote:

hi, im trying to buy a lens for outdors photography like birds ect but i dont know which one to buy, i have a tamron 70-200 but is short for my needs, my budged is 1100. thank you

Depends on the range you want. The Nikon 300mm f4 af-s is very sharp and can be picked up used within your budget. I also use mine with a TC-14e for 420mm f 5.6 and is still very sharp but this is an additional expense if you don't already own one..

-- hide signature --

Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
John Szeto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,634
Like?

I would certainly wait until the new $1100 Tamron 150-600  reviews come out

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,470
Like?
In reply to John Szeto, 4 months ago

I agree.  That's what I was going to say.

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?

I use a Tamron 200x500 that works quite well for me.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Jeff AG
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

I went wit the Sigma 120-400 to get f/5.6 and am very happy with it.  The 500mm versions just don't open up enough.  I was afraid I'd never get the shutter speeds I wanted out of the 500's.   I also got the Sigma 1.4x teleconverter for times when I need the reach, have plenty of light and can live with manual focus.

Jeff AG's gear list:Jeff AG's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads