David Cameron's Xmas Card

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,302
Like?
David Cameron's Xmas Card
10 months ago

Having been involved in and selling b&w family pictures for over twentyfive years, I hope you will agree that our PM Xmas Card is not a good example of excellent photography which it should be. Tom Stoddart took the picture. The B&W convertion is really bad, the resulting dark patch on Camerons face would never have left our studios. Nor would the unnecessary hiding of half the kids face. The background is confusing, she looks dopey with one lazy eye, her neck lines could have been tidied, and the kids hand appearing around Camerons neck is distraction. As I said we would not have sold this picture to a client as it would have reflected badly on our business. See the appalling result here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519507/Florence-Cameron-family-photo-Prime-Ministers-Christmas-card.html

Jules

CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
Re: David Cameron's Xmas Card
In reply to JulesJ, 10 months ago

I agree, it really isn't good.  Apart from her half closed left eye, she also appears to have a bruise on her cheek.

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,690
Like?

Looks like a charming card to me, and I have never been a Tory!

contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?

Candid Cameron

Everyone looks happy, relaxed and natural. The little girl is cute as a button. Sure, it could have been taken by a ten-year-old, but so what. The Camerons have had plenty of formal portraits and fine photography. If the Camerons liked something more informal and less perfect for their family greeting, that's all that matters.

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?

It's hardly an official portrait! It serves a purpose and to me looks like a natural, happy image of a family.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,677
Like?

JulesJ wrote:

Having been involved in and selling b&w family pictures for over twentyfive years, I hope you will agree that our PM Xmas Card is not a good example of excellent photography which it should be.

It's awful!

That the Cameron's would select a very informal shot is quite understandable. But surely they could have found a better candid than this?

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,318
Like?

JulesJ wrote:

Having been involved in and selling b&w family pictures for over twentyfive years, I hope you will agree that our PM Xmas Card is not a good example of excellent photography which it should be. Tom Stoddart took the picture. The B&W convertion is really bad, the resulting dark patch on Camerons face would never have left our studios. Nor would the unnecessary hiding of half the kids face. The background is confusing, she looks dopey with one lazy eye, her neck lines could have been tidied, and the kids hand appearing around Camerons neck is distraction. As I said we would not have sold this picture to a client as it would have reflected badly on our business. See the appalling result here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519507/Florence-Cameron-family-photo-Prime-Ministers-Christmas-card.html

Shot specially for Daily Mail readers?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 10 months ago

OK as a family snap but nothing at all special. If I were an 'award winning photographer' I wouldn't be showing that one in the portfolio.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,933
Like?

I thought that when I saw it.  An informal snap is fine, but the background is very cluttered and distracting and it's odd to have half of the girl's face hidden.  I would have deleted it...

Albert Macfarlane
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

I think you have been a little hard on David Cameron's Christmas card. This supposedly is the card sent out by Prince Charles, and could have with advantage been subjected to some extensive work in Photoshop.

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

He looks better here.

JulesJ
Like?
In reply to Albert Macfarlane, 10 months ago

Albert Macfarlane wrote:

I think you have been a little hard on David Cameron's Christmas card. This supposedly is the card sent out by Prince Charles, and could have with advantage been subjected to some extensive work in Photoshop.

I wasn't being hard, purely professional. unlike the Obama haters, I don't dislike Cameron. As I stated this picture is exactly thrd domain that I make my living from. It is interesting to hear the views of different people here but I'm sorry but this is not not just an informal picture, it is a bad group portrait, and badly converted.

From what I can see the picture above if Charkes and Camilla is an excellent, professional, fun couple portrait.

Albert Macfarlane
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Hey Jules,

Compare this larger version of your future king's Xmas card with Cameron's.  Anyone who judges this one superior has some cognitive impairment.

Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?

Just shows that Cameron has no sense of judgement ...

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +11 more
JulesJ
Like?
In reply to Albert Macfarlane, 10 months ago

Albert Macfarlane wrote:

Hey Jules,

Compare this larger version of your future king's Xmas card with Cameron's. Anyone who judges this one superior has some cognitive impairment.

I disagree. it's fun, clear, sharp, the colour is punch and it's a good couple portrait. Are you in this business?

snow4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,797
Like?

That is a terrible photo. It looks like the PM has a serious rash or dental infection going on. Really clunky choice for the background as well.

Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,921
Like?
Need surgery now!

JulesJ wrote:

Jules

For a card it is terrible.

For one, Cameron looks in need of immediate operation to remove a large tumor on his right cheek.

His wife's weakest point, the nose, is exposed in its full glory.

I agree, a snapshot, one of many, to be discarded, it qualifies.

As a Christmas card , or keeper in general, it does not.

Rgds

Trafford
Like?
In reply to snow4ever, 10 months ago

snow4ever wrote:

That is a terrible photo. It looks like the PM has a serious rash or dental infection going on. Really clunky choice for the background as well.

Find the triangle.

Trafford
Like?

JulesJ wrote:

Having been involved in and selling b&w family pictures for over twentyfive years, I hope you will agree that our PM Xmas Card is not a good example of excellent photography which it should be. Tom Stoddart took the picture. The B&W convertion is really bad, the resulting dark patch on Camerons face would never have left our studios.

What studios are those? Do they have a web site, would like to see what the comparison is all
about.

Nor would the unnecessary hiding of half the kids face. The background is confusing, she looks dopey with one lazy eye, her neck lines could have been tidied, and the kids hand appearing around Camerons neck is distraction.

That's what the Ancient Greeks would have done, the Cameron Xmas Card is more in
the Ancient Roman Style, warts and all.

As I said we would not have sold this picture to a client as it would have reflected badly on our business.

Please post some links to this business, waiting with bated breath to see how they compare.

See the appalling result here.

Jules

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199Gear list
Like?
Jules, Jules, Jules.

You don't detect even the tiniest fingerprints of the Spin Doctors all over it ?
Someone decided he needed folksage again ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads