Re: PSP Free Membership for content

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
7 months ago

I having a bad day with PSP. Their tech support is awful. They cannot solve my problem.

I cannot find the membership website where their is free frames, tubes etc to download and they are no help on the phone.

Can someone here help me with this?

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
In reply to Saleen1999, 7 months ago

Saleen1999 wrote:

I having a bad day with PSP. Their tech support is awful. They cannot solve my problem.

I cannot find the membership website where their is free frames, tubes etc to download and they are no help on the phone.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Have you bought X6 or something? If so then you can get the free stuff I think via the options on the Help menu ('Your Account' option). Not sure what the direct URL is though.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?

Saleen1999 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

go to the Corel website https://www.corel.com  after registering and creating an account..or if you already have one prior.. SIGN IN at the very top right link.. once you have signed in you should see your Account page come up.. click on the link  Downloads for Members and Subscribers.. what you mentioned should be under Creative Content download

Corel Downloads Info How To

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 714Gear list
Like?
I thank you both.
In reply to Stakeouttoo, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Ronald A Yorko
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stakeouttoo, 7 months ago

Also try within program at top right is a little star like icon for Corel Guide in which you should have the options of downloading extra content under the Do More tab.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
Michael W00d
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?

Thanks for the tip – I didn’t know these add-ons existed. They are only executable in the 32 bit version. I have played around with the KPT plug-ins and they do usefully extend the basic options offered in PSP X6. For example KPT Blurrrr has vastly more effect than the severely limited motion blur in X6.

bigfatron
Like?
In reply to Michael W00d, 7 months ago

Michael W00d wrote:

Thanks for the tip – I didn’t know these add-ons existed. They are only executable in the 32 bit version. I have played around with the KPT plug-ins and they do usefully extend the basic options offered in PSP X6. For example KPT Blurrrr has vastly more effect than the severely limited motion blur in X6.

That unfortunately is the downside to going to 64 bit that a lot of filters/plug-ins only target 32 bit and thus they have to ship both 32 and 64 bit executables of PSP to maintain compatibility (although Adobe do the same with Photoshop).

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Adam2
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
Do any folks here like PSP?

I recently purchased PSP 6 and was intrigued by it.  Ever since Adobe went to the pay for use model, I abandoned ship.  I was using LR for a while, but found that it lacked tools I regularly used in PS so it wasn't the total solution.  At first, I kind of liked the PSP interface - fairly simple, intuitive, a lot of help bars, etc.  Then I noticed that it has real problems managing color spaces and perhaps camera profiles correctly.  For example, I had a RAW photo of a hummingbird by a flower which was clearly a pale purple in DPP operating in AdobeRGB.  Opening the same file in PSP 6 in Adobe RGB, the flower looked mauve and super saturated.  I sent the files, screen shots, etc. to Corel who finally admitted that it was "a problem in the software", but they wouldn't provide any further information or even a timeline as to when it might be fixed.  Disappointing to say the least.

Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,117
Like?
Re: Do any folks here like PSP?
In reply to Adam2, 7 months ago

Yes, there are shortcomings with PSPX6, but remember, you pay less for it than the cost for most plugins.  I, for one, am happy with the software and do not wish that it become as powerful as Photoshop, because, if it does, then it will be priced similarly.

Regards....Allen

bigfatron
Like?

Adam2 wrote:

I recently purchased PSP 6 and was intrigued by it. Ever since Adobe went to the pay for use model, I abandoned ship. I was using LR for a while, but found that it lacked tools I regularly used in PS so it wasn't the total solution. At first, I kind of liked the PSP interface - fairly simple, intuitive, a lot of help bars, etc. Then I noticed that it has real problems managing color spaces and perhaps camera profiles correctly. For example, I had a RAW photo of a hummingbird by a flower which was clearly a pale purple in DPP operating in AdobeRGB. Opening the same file in PSP 6 in Adobe RGB, the flower looked mauve and super saturated. I sent the files, screen shots, etc. to Corel who finally admitted that it was "a problem in the software", but they wouldn't provide any further information or even a timeline as to when it might be fixed. Disappointing to say the least.

I've been using it since about version 9. Yes it does have its shortcomings and some of them don't get fixed within a specific release. I have however had some issues I raised with an earlier version fixed (namely a memory leak that was more apparent to me as I work a lot with big uncompressed TIFFs), so you may get lucky.  Certainly I prefer it to Elements, which is probably what you should compare it to rather than Photoshop proper.  For what it costs then I can't grumble much.

ChromeDome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?

Adam2 wrote:

Then I noticed that it has real problems managing color spaces and perhaps camera profiles correctly. For example, I had a RAW photo of a hummingbird by a flower which was clearly a pale purple in DPP operating in AdobeRGB. Opening the same file in PSP 6 in Adobe RGB, the flower looked mauve and super saturated. I sent the files, screen shots, etc. to Corel who finally admitted that it was "a problem in the software", but they wouldn't provide any further information or even a timeline as to when it might be fixed. Disappointing to say the least.

Hi Adam,

Yes I do Like PSP, but it does have its issues.

As to your question about colour profiles. They've fixed it in the a patch that should be available to you via the update checker in PSP itself, if not you can download it from their website directly.

Hope this helps,

Greg

ChromeDome's gear list:ChromeDome's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +36 more
brucet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415
Like?
In reply to ChromeDome, 7 months ago

All software has short comings. It's just a matter of if those short comings affect you. Cost can also be regarded as a short coming!

I've been using PSP since 7 and think it's great value for money and thus put up with the few niggles I sometimes encounter.

regards

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,509
Like?
I've never had any color management problems with PSP X5 or X6

Adam2 wrote:

I recently purchased PSP 6 and was intrigued by it. Ever since Adobe went to the pay for use model, I abandoned ship. I was using LR for a while, but found that it lacked tools I regularly used in PS so it wasn't the total solution. At first, I kind of liked the PSP interface - fairly simple, intuitive, a lot of help bars, etc. Then I noticed that it has real problems managing color spaces and perhaps camera profiles correctly. For example, I had a RAW photo of a hummingbird by a flower which was clearly a pale purple in DPP operating in AdobeRGB. Opening the same file in PSP 6 in Adobe RGB, the flower looked mauve and super saturated. I sent the files, screen shots, etc. to Corel who finally admitted that it was "a problem in the software", but they wouldn't provide any further information or even a timeline as to when it might be fixed. Disappointing to say the least.

I use ACDSee Pro 7 as my workflow tool and raw developer. I selected PSP as my companion editor PRIMARILY because I can get the color to consistently match ACDSee so well. I'm not a heavy user of PSP X6, but when I need it to do something that I just can't do with ACDSee Pro 6 (now Pro 7), it has yet to fail me.

I've heard of these issues you mention before, so I don't doubt you are experiencing them. There appears to be SOME problem going on with the software that affects some people. As a result, I would suggest that potential users take full advantage of the free trial to make sure they won't get caught by this problem.

But so far, I've been completely satisfied.  For a $60 - $80 editor that handles 64 bit processing and has most of its tools to function at 16 bit color depth, I think it's a pretty good deal.

BTW, you might consider going to the Corel User's forum with this problem. The users there can't fix the problem, obviously, but they might be able to help you find alternative color management settings to get this under some level of consistent control.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

ChromeDome
Like?
Was your response meant for me?
In reply to brucet, 7 months ago

brucet wrote:

All software has short comings. It's just a matter of if those short comings affect you. Cost can also be regarded as a short coming!

I've been using PSP since 7 and think it's great value for money and thus put up with the few niggles I sometimes encounter.

regards

I don't believe I disparaged PSP in any way other than to say it has its issues (Is that any different than any other software? Did it seem to you that I implied it was?).

I informed the OP of this part of the thread that his problem has been rectified and that I liked PSP

(I too have used it from way back in JASC days, pre 8, if that helps!)

Merry Xmas

Greg

Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +36 more
brucet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415
Like?
Re: Was your response meant for me?
In reply to ChromeDome, 7 months ago

Nah. I was just making a general comment.

I think PSP is very much under rated. The thing is, IMHO, there is a 'snob' appeal in many aspects of our hobby/work. PSP/Corel suffers from the impression that if it's not made by Adobe then it's not the 'best'.

regards

ChromeDome
Like?
Re: Was your response meant for me?
In reply to brucet, 7 months ago

brucet wrote:

Nah. I was just making a general comment.

I think PSP is very much under rated. The thing is, IMHO, there is a 'snob' appeal in many aspects of our hobby/work. PSP/Corel suffers from the impression that if it's not made by Adobe then it's not the 'best'.

regards

Me too,

I have Photoshop CS5 and while it is superior (smoother in use - often times) and allows for a little more granularity in some settings, I nearly always find myself firing up PSP instead.   Admittedly, this is probably because I've used PSP in its various guises much more and over a longer period, thus am more comfortable with it. However, I don't feel I'm missing much by not using PS (other than perhaps the content-aware stuff occasionally).

I really only use PSP or CS for whatever Lightroom isn't suited to, advanced selections and masking, HDR, that kind of thing. However, year-on-year that use is becoming less and less due to Lightroom's advances. This all goes to make PSP a much more affordable companion to  Lightroom than CS<n> for me. I wouldn't call myself an advanced user of either product though, and I'm sure others will find some of the features of Photoshop not in PSP, indispensable (whatever they are?)

In-fact I think Photoshop has probably been the single worst investment in software that I've ever made. I'm kind-of glad that Adobe did the rental thing and forced me into a re-think about what I spend my hard-earned on.

Regards,

Greg

Furface00
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Saleen,

The web site for Corel can be confusing at the best of times. Here is how you get your free downloads.

You first must register your product with Corel if you have not completed that yet.

Once registered, go to this page: http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800034

Click on the support tab and choose your account.

Scroll down the page until you see Products on the right hand side and click on the link "Downloads for members and subscribers.

That will bring you to the free downloads for PSP.

By the way, there is an active Newsgroup at: cnews.corel.com

Furface00

Joseph Mama
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
In reply to Furface00, 6 months ago

I am happy with my PSPX5.   I love Nik Color Efex that came with it.

It had the ability to do layers and stuff that Lightroom lacked, but wasnt so expensive and hard to learn as Photoshop.   Hence, its barrier to entry was much much lower.

Sadly, Adobe is the golden standard so its harder to grow with PSP due to lack of tutorials,etc.   But it still gets the job done nicely.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads