Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
abluesky
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: 60mm fov fr what ? ...
In reply to Harold66, 7 months ago

Harold66 wrote:

Indeed illustrating one's point with images is ALWAYS better. you do have some interesting images

The one of the lady with her head bowed and the orange bag seems to pop out of the screen by the contrast and color gamut. Kudos

But most of your images are shown in square format or in a less oblong than the original 3;2 ratio of the camera you used so it is very difficult to tell from your images which EFFECTIVE field of view you did use

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

re square crop: in camera vs post

just to be clear: does an in camera crop affect FOV? And even in post, would the FOV remain unless you used the crop to zoom?

If in camera crop to square affected FOV, wouldn't that be more like the 35/47mm crop mode on the GR?

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,777
Like?
Re: Hardly slow selling for Ricoh
In reply to photoreddi, 7 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Time will tell, but I don't think so. There's still a strong demand for the GR. That's something the Coolpix A never had. I bet Nikon will discontinue the A before Ricoh discontinues the GR.

Don't be too sure. Amazon and B&H still have the GR in stock but Adorama doesn't, and instead of saying "Out of stock", they show no price and say "We’re sorry, this item is no longer available."

It's hard to tell whether the GR was a big success or not much of a success, despite a general assumption that it was selling well. But the GR LE was supposedly limited to 5,000 copies, worldwide, sold directly by Pentax/Ricoh. Yet after a month they started appearing from many camera dealers in the USA, Canada and the UK, so unless Ricoh wasn't being honest and produced more than the claimed 5,000, the GR LE didn't sell as well as Ricoh assumed it would.

The only positive I can see from this is that there may soon be a GR VI in the works. If so, I wonder if it will use the same lens. It would be interesting to see a GR with a 21mm or a 35mm lens, but that would be a real tradition changer. A 21mm version would probably be more popular with DSLR owners.

I think it quite genuine that Ricoh production could not keep up wit the demand for the GR for months. There seems to be no "bad news" about the camera and those that have one have been generally pleased. My guess is that Ricoh is after some market penetration, rather more than before, but still not very much of course. We would not wish to be carrying the same camera as everyone else we see would we?

Maybe not me or thee, but there seems to be an awful lot of people hereabouts that want everyone to want to use the camera that they use.

Well thats natural of course - the sort of satisfaction that because they bought something then seeing others buy the same thing means that they were smart.

Also "the uniform principle" - if you can encourage others to join the club then you are the member of a big club and get all the supporters benefits - the rosy glow that your team is "winning".

And nobody ever got fired by recommending IBM.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to abluesky, 7 months ago

just to be clear: does an in camera crop affect FOV? And even in post, would the FOV remain unless you used the crop to zoom?

Well, yes . Number one , most of the camera focal lengths are given based on the field of view using the diagonal dimension of the surface so yes

also on your pictures , there is no way  for us to know ( of course , you youknow) if you cropped to a square JUST cropping the corners or if you also removed some of the top and/or bottom so that would change the EFFECTIVE fov used

If in camera crop to square affected FOV, wouldn't that be more like the 35/47mm crop mode on the GR?

well depends if the GR crop crops from the center and not just the corners ( not sure < I have to check that)

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
abluesky
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?

Harold66 wrote:

Well, yes . Number one , most of the camera focal lengths are given based on the field of view using the diagonal dimension of the surface so yes

also on your pictures , there is no way for us to know ( of course , you youknow) if you cropped to a square JUST cropping the corners or if you also removed some of the top and/or bottom so that would change the EFFECTIVE fov used

well depends if the GR crop crops from the center and not just the corners ( not sure < I have to check that)

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com

Okay.

So out of those pictures there are only two that cropped could change the effective FOV: the homeless man in yellow sneakers and woman peaking out of the window.

There rest of square photos use the aspect ration selector built into the camera.  Using Lightroom, I can remove this camera crop, and it only crops the right and the left (the corners, as you said) and not the top and the bottom.

Hope that helps give a better, albeit not ideal, idea of the 60mmFOV.

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,717
Like?
Nikon dropped the Coolpix A's other shoe.
In reply to Red5TX, 7 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same. The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

The cost of a new Coolpix A may not have dropped, but Nikon is now supplying refurbished A's for just $789.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012071-REF/nikon_26423b_coolpix_a_digital_camera.html

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
You gotta pay Demi alimony for the A

Red5TX wrote:

I must say, I am genuinely surprised to see the price of the Ricoh GR continuing to fall (currently at $672 on Amazon) while the $1,099 price of the Nikon Coolpix A remains the same. The Ricoh is closing in on HALF the price of the Nikon!

I simply love my GR. It is a wonderful tool for taking pictures with no obvious flaws and no replacement in sight. I wonder, then, why the price continues to go down. Could it be Ricoh's complete lack of marketing? Their complete lack of brand recognition in the US? And what to make of the fact that Nikon's price remains unmoved? Remarkable.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Harold66
Like?
Re: Nikon dropped the Coolpix A's other shoe.
In reply to photoreddi, 7 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

The cost of a new Coolpix A may not have dropped, but Nikon is now supplying refurbished A's for just $789.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012071-REF/nikon_26423b_coolpix_a_digital_camera.html

well in France and Belgium ( not sure about the rest of Europe) the Nikon A had dropped a lot and is basically same price as Ricoh GR

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com

Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon dropped the Coolpix A's other shoe.

Harold66 wrote:

well in France and Belgium ( not sure about the rest of Europe) the Nikon A had dropped a lot and is basically same price as Ricoh GR

As mentioned above, in Netherlands they have been the same price too (around EUR 700) from about October, when both were available.

Currently the GR is slightly cheaper at a few dealers, those are probably special offers for the end of the year. My impression is that both are selling in very small numbers. Most dealers don't sell them at all, and if they do just a few accessories are available. My guess is that the same pricing policy applies for a good part of the Eurozone.

I think there is a lot of room for discounts with these cameras when they can sell more than initially planned; the production cost must be relatively small (but the development cost relatively high), probably similar to the average quality compact. The consumer price will depend strongly on marketing strategy (and if/when other directly competing cameras arrive on the scene).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: Price Drop ($672) for GR but not Coolpix A

Nikon is very slow to catch on with pricing, at least with the 1 system... Note the V2, at 900$, which is absurd. If a V3 is to come to market, the V2 will drop to 300$ within weeks like the V1 did.

lolopasstrail
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, 7 months ago

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Time will tell, but I don't think so. There's still a strong demand for the GR. That's something the Coolpix A never had. I bet Nikon will discontinue the A before Ricoh discontinues the GR.

Since  you know, what is the demand for the GR?

Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231Gear list
Like?
In reply to lolopasstrail, 7 months ago

lolopasstrail wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Since you know, what is the demand for the GR?

According to DPR stats that indicate how many own what camera, the demand for the GR is least 5X stronger than the demand for the Coolpix A.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,543Gear list
Like?

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

According to DPR stats that indicate how many own what camera, the demand for the GR is least 5X stronger than the demand for the Coolpix A.

... amoung DPR visitors (or those who bother to vote in certain polls); which is probably far from representative for the total market.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: GR ... going, going ...
In reply to abluesky, 7 months ago

abluesky wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Don't be too sure. Amazon and B&H still have the GR in stock but Adorama doesn't, and instead of saying "Out of stock", they show no price and say "We’re sorry, this item is no longer available."

It's hard to tell whether the GR was a big success or not much of a success, despite a general assumption that it was selling well. But the GR LE was supposedly limited to 5,000 copies, worldwide, sold directly by Pentax/Ricoh. Yet after a month they started appearing from many camera dealers in the USA, Canada and the UK, so unless Ricoh wasn't being honest and produced more than the claimed 5,000, the GR LE didn't sell as well as Ricoh assumed it would.

The only positive I can see from this is that there may soon be a GR VI in the works. If so, I wonder if it will use the same lens. It would be interesting to see a GR with a 21mm or a 35mm lens, but that would be a real tradition changer. A 21mm version would probably be more popular with DSLR owners.

That's what I'm thinking - perhaps the GR wasn't really such a success.

Those who wanted a GR have one.  The rest of the population uses cell phones.  No camera like the GR is going to sell more than a very modest amount.   Ricoh better have something new coming up because the GR's price is only going to keep falling.

Jimmy jang Boo
Like?
Re: GR ... going, going ...
In reply to Graham Hill, 7 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

Those who wanted a GR have one. The rest of the population uses cell phones.

Nonsense. The rest of the population doesn't use cell phones.

Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
telemach
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
$635

Price is going down even more

Gadget Circuit has this for $635

-- hide signature --

GR, GH2, F717, HX1, HX100V proud owner
looking for adapter to use filters on HX1 or HX100V/HX200V ???
visit my site : http://www.hxhphoto.com

Jimmy jang Boo
Like?
Re: $635
In reply to telemach, 7 months ago

telemach wrote:

Price is going down even more

Gadget Circuit has this for $635.

That's a great deal, but I wouldn't expect it to stay there indefinitely. Retailers know it is make it or break it come this time of year--especially in a recession. Cash flow is king. From my years of experience in retail, price cuts and promotions are usually geared to what consumers want, not what they don't want.

Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
telemach
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
That's a great deal, but I wouldn't expect it to stay there indefinitely.

Do you suggest price will go down even lower, no coming back to higher prices ?

Retailers know it is make it or break it come this time of year--especially in a recession. Cash flow is king. From my years of experience in retail, price cuts and promotions are usually geared to what consumers want, not what they don't want.

at Black Friday they lowered price of $100 but before sundown it was back to high

at some point this will stop because Ricoh won't give us another GR in 2014

-- hide signature --

GR, GH2, F717, HX1, HX100V proud owner
looking for adapter to use filters on HX1 or HX100V/HX200V ???
visit my site : http://www.hxhphoto.com

Jimmy jang Boo
Like?

telemach wrote:

That's a great deal, but I wouldn't expect it to stay there indefinitely.

Do you suggest price will go down even lower, no coming back to higher prices ?

Not at all. Most retailers have not reduced the price, therefore those that do are taking the hit.

Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Harold66
Like?

t

-

Well,I am not sure. you may not get another GR but I am pretty confident that Ricoh will have a compact with an APS sensor on the market next year ( most likely a GX with a short zoom)

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?

Harold66 wrote:

t

-

Well,I am not sure. you may not get another GR but I am pretty confident that Ricoh will have a compact with an APS sensor on the market next year ( most likely a GX with a short zoom)

I'm not so sure how well the Leica X Vario or GXR A16 zoom have sold in fact. But I doubt that any of them was a hit for the companies. It is a nice idea but the cameras become too deep/bulky to be carried anywhere which can be done with the GR and Coolpix A etc and also slow apertures for the zooms.

At least for me a zoom would be better as long as it is for small camera with interchangeable lenses. But if Ricoh must make a compact with a zoom at every cost, at least make one which might make sense. A 20-50mm or maybe even somewhat wider if possible?

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads