A7/A7R for new customers, or old?

Started 11 months ago | Polls
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,826Gear list
Like?
A7/A7R for new customers, or old?
11 months ago

Trying to validate, or invalidate, the theory that most A7/A7R customers are a different demographic from the NEX users that up 'til recently made up the bulk of this forum's members.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
POLL
I owned one or more Sony NEX cameras before buying an A7 or A7R
74.4% 32  votes
I owned one or more non-Sony mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (not including Leica) before buying an A7 or A7R, but had never owned a NEX
7.0% 3  votes
The A7 or A7R is my first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (pick this option if you bought an A7/A7R and haven't owned any of the non-Leica MILCs)
18.6% 8  votes
  Show results
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,635Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7R for new customers, or old?
In reply to SQLGuy, 11 months ago

Trying to validate, or invalidate, the theory that most A7/A7R customers are a different demographic from the NEX users that up 'til recently made up the bulk of this forum's members.

I would say it is both. As an E-mount user, I am tempted by A7/A7r cameras but can't justify to have a budget to build an appropriate system around them.

At the same time, the duo definitely has the same appeal to owners of cameras from other brands, as NEX cameras and RX1 have had over last three years.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,375Gear list
Like?

SQLGuy wrote:

New here. Would never have considered Sony were it not for the a7r.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +15 more
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?

SQLGuy wrote:

I don't like carrying heavy prime lenses to cover wide angle. I've got a very compact Zeiss Contax G 21mm lens on my full frame film camera and the closest thing on the NEX is the 10-18. So I might get a full frame E-mount camera particularly to use this lens with cropping for urban landscape work. As a substitute for a shift wide angle lens.

SQLGuy
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

I'm thinking there must be more than 15 A7/A7R users on here, judging by the amount of discussion (and the other "Which camera did you end up buying?" poll).

So far (though the sampling is small) the numbers seems to disagree with Captura and ParallaxProblem's theory that the majority of A7/R owners are new to mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Not enough choices

How do I answer if:

The primary camera I was shooting just before buying the A7r was a Nikon D800? and,

I have owned a NEX-5N (but no longer own it)?

I answered that I wasn't coming from a NEX, which is certainly true, but not the full story. The A7r is the first camera vaguely related to NEX that I would buy; after experiencing NEX I did not buy the NEX-7 or -6 and wouldn't have bought any other APS-C NEX model.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: Not enough choices
In reply to sroute, 11 months ago

Just saw SQLGuy's last post - gathering from your intent that you are wondering how many DSLR-only shooters are coming through.

My guess is that the numbers of "I shot mirrorless before buying an A7/r" whether that was their primary system or not will be fairly high. Given the A7/r cameras have but two lenses available at present, those buying the cameras either have to love kit lenses or fixed 35mm primes, or must be open to adapting other lenses. What user group has more experience with adapting lenses over any other? Mirrorless shooters.

That said the Canon forums (not just here) have lots of talk about the A7r because it gives them something Canon can't deliver, and they can mount their existing lenses. Those folks might not be hanging out in this forum however.

SQLGuy
Like?
Re: Not enough choices
In reply to sroute, 11 months ago

sroute wrote:

How do I answer if:

The primary camera I was shooting just before buying the A7r was a Nikon D800? and,

I have owned a NEX-5N (but no longer own it)?

I answered that I wasn't coming from a NEX, which is certainly true, but not the full story. The A7r is the first camera vaguely related to NEX that I would buy; after experiencing NEX I did not buy the NEX-7 or -6 and wouldn't have bought any other APS-C NEX model.

Interesting. Yes, I guess you would be more in the 3rd category, as you would be a new customer from Sony's perspective, instead of one who already had bought into their previous product lines.

-- hide signature --

120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?

SQLGuy wrote:

I'm thinking there must be more than 15 A7/A7R users on here, judging by the amount of discussion (and the other "Which camera did you end up buying?" poll).

So far (though the sampling is small) the numbers seems to disagree with Captura and ParallaxProblem's theory that the majority of A7/R owners are new to mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

What about existing A-mount SLT camera owners who bought an A7? The differences between A7 and those cameras are: body size, optional PDAF, lack of IBIS.

Patarix
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 11 months ago

MisterHairy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

New here. Would never have considered Sony were it not for the a7r.

Same here, I'm coming from DSLR world (Nikon D300) and never considered a Sony before. The A7R will most probably be my next camera. Primary reason for the switch: great image quality combined with lower weight and smaller size.

-- hide signature --

Alessandro Pataro - Rep. of Panama

Patarix's gear list:Patarix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?

I've never considered Sony until the A7/R.

Still haven't bought one as yet but leaning more toward the A7.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
SQLGuy
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

120 to 35 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

-- hide signature --

What about existing A-mount SLT camera owners who bought an A7? The differences between A7 and those cameras are: body size, optional PDAF, lack of IBIS.

And different native mount, presence of a mirror...

If you're coming from an A-mount camera, pick the 3rd option.

-- hide signature --

--

Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?

There should be one more option because I had both an NEX as well as other mirrorless cameras.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads