Started 4 months ago | Discussions
barba
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Fuji manager Mr.Kawahara: “We have no plan to provide full frame body”
4 months ago

"
The site 2how conducted an interview with Fuji manager. Here are some topics:

1) He is reluctant to create full frame X series because XF lens would NOT be compatible with full frame camera. New lenses are needed.

2) Because of the high customers demand, Fujifilm considers to use sensors with more than 16MP in future.

3) Keep the size of XC lens with larger aperture value is almost impossible, because the optic technology is limited and cannot be solved easily, unlike technological limit.

4) Fujfilm will continue to support and improve its cameras via firmware update: "We want you to use our camera longer and longer in your life."
"
From a site we cannot mention for some reason(?)

Pär

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321
Like?
Re: Fuji manager Mr.Kawahara: “We have no plan to provide full frame body”
In reply to barba, 4 months ago

Good, keep the focus on the lines you currently have, instead of chasingthis ridiculous  FF obsession so many people have. This dream that a FF camera is the only thing holding them back from photographic greatness.

I dont agree with going higher than 16mp though. This appears to be the aps-c sweetspot. Stick with 16, its all that is needed.

-- hide signature --

Fuji x-pro1 with 14, 23, 27,35, 60, 55-200, fuji x100s and WA adapter, fuji x10

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

barba wrote:

"
The site 2how conducted an interview with Fuji manager. Here are some topics:

1) He is reluctant to create full frame X series because XF lens would NOT be compatible with full frame camera. New lenses are needed.

A full frame X100 type camera is still a very real possibility given this answer.

2) Because of the high customers demand, Fujifilm considers to use sensors with more than 16MP in future.

3) Keep the size of XC lens with larger aperture value is almost impossible, because the optic technology is limited and cannot be solved easily, unlike technological limit.

4) Fujfilm will continue to support and improve its cameras via firmware update: "We want you to use our camera longer and longer in your life."

I wish Fujifilm felt that way about users of the S5 Pro.  They dropped 100% support for that camera pretty fast.

"
From a site we cannot mention for some reason(?)

Pär

justinwonnacott
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?

All seems to make perfect sense. The full frame market  is probably overcrowded too . . . like many others, I would be very reluctant to switch  - no matter how good the sensor - to a new lens mount considering I have a fair investment in lenses for another brand of  FF camera.

mdavidp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, 4 months ago

Good news all around! FF is not better than what we have now. Continue to improve X products.

MP

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?

Makes perfect sense. That sound you hear is the hot air being released from all the full frame rumors.

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, 4 months ago

justinwonnacott wrote:

All seems to make perfect sense. The full frame market is probably overcrowded too . . . like many others, I would be very reluctant to switch - no matter how good the sensor - to a new lens mount considering I have a fair investment in lenses for another brand of FF camera.

1.  There are more APS-C mirrorless cameras than FF, so APS-C is considerably more crowded.

2.  Fujifilm making a FF mirrorless camera in no way means they have to stop APS-C.

Graham Hill
Like?
In reply to mdavidp, 4 months ago

mdavidp wrote:

Good news all around! FF is not better than what we have now. Continue to improve X products.

MP

The laws of physics have been repealed?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

The thread title is a bit misleading, he actually said "We have no plan to provide full frame body, just now." Even emphasising the 'just now'.

He did the same when asked about an X-Pro1 successor.

Both will come.

Perhaps FF will simply not be an X-Trans.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

To clarify, he said "just now". So, if one were to come in the future, it wouldn't be any time soon. Personally, I'm glad to see them focusing on APS-C and the current lineup. They have the lenses, the bodies are coming along. They just need to get some sales numbers going. Who knows how that's done though... tough market.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 4 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

All seems to make perfect sense. The full frame market is probably overcrowded too . . . like many others, I would be very reluctant to switch - no matter how good the sensor - to a new lens mount considering I have a fair investment in lenses for another brand of FF camera.

2. Fujifilm making a FF mirrorless camera in no way means they have to stop APS-C.

One problem is that they have marketed the Fuji x cameras as 'as good as full frame' and even though that's not quite true; it does mean that releasing a full frame camera would totally undermine that claim.

ahrensjt
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

mdavidp wrote:

MP

The laws of physics have been repealed?

[Sigh]  I wish everyone would understand that things written on this forum have an implied "in my opinion" to them.  In other words, mdavidp is probably saying that for HIM, a FF would not provide a better experience (the combination of size, weight, cost, image quality, DOF capability, etc.)

Yes Graham, FF allows for shallower depth of field.  Yes, FF performs better in low light.  The laws of physics still apply.  Likewise, the equivalent lenses are larger and heavier, and the sensors more expensive to fabricate (higher cost of the camera).   mdavidp likes the tradeoffs that the APS-C makes, so these are "better" for him.

When you read "better", it is relative to personal need, not any absolute scale.

Regards,

Jeff

ahrensjt's gear list:ahrensjt's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 856
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

I wish Fujifilm felt that way about users of the S5 Pro. They dropped 100% support for that camera pretty fast.

It was a silly idea from the start from the business pov.
Bodies only were hardly profitable and all the money went to Nikon from selling all the lenses, accessories, flashguns etc.

On top of that D200 was the last body Nikon offered to Fuji at a reasonable price.

Regards

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,701Gear list
Like?

That's a fascinating video

I noted that they are looking at another enthusiast category for X cameras

That they will not be replacing the x-pro1 but improving it with firmware

That they think the sensor size would force the body size to increase (too much) if they went FF on the X100 chassis

Many times he said that although he/Fuji didn't see the need for things, the customer did, and they had responded to that

He implied that the X-E2 was the achievement of their design criteria - size, Image quality, performance

He's right upfront in stating that compact market is down, mirrorless market is growing, now and maybe for the future. Can't say fairer than that.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
hexxthalion
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?

Graham Hill wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

1. There are more APS-C mirrorless cameras than FF, so APS-C is considerably more crowded.

2. Fujifilm making a FF mirrorless camera in no way means they have to stop APS-C.

couldn't agree more with both statements

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +12 more
hexxthalion
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 4 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

One problem is that they have marketed the Fuji x cameras as 'as good as full frame' and even though that's not quite true; it does mean that releasing a full frame camera would totally undermine that claim.

they marketed them as such on introduction of X-Pro1, that's been some time ago and if I remember correctly original slides, they compared them with 5DMK2 and D700

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +12 more
hexxthalion
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 4 months ago

the only problem with that is:

- fw update won't give you better EVF

- fw update won't give you faster processor

- fw update won't enable PDAF on sensor

- fw update won't improve build quality

dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 856
Like?
In reply to hexxthalion, 4 months ago

hexxthalion wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

1. There are more APS-C mirrorless cameras than FF, so APS-C is considerably more crowded.

couldn't agree more with both statements

Both are true.

But Fujifilm most likely doesn't have resources (R&D people, time, production lines) to develop and produce both lines simultaneously, at least right now.

They will, in time.

Regards

a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to ahrensjt, 4 months ago

ahrensjt wrote:

Yes Graham, FF allows for shallower depth of field. Yes, FF performs better in low light. The laws of physics still apply.

Actually, FF sensor does not perform much better in low light pixel-wise.

The Sony A7r has 36MPix sensor. The center 1.5x crop (APS-C crop) has 16MPix. So that is the same pixel density as the X-Trans sensor. Therefore, the low noise capability is the same in the pixel level.

The only time you see full frame better in low noise is WHEN the photo is resized, from 36MPix to 16MPix. But this defeats the purpose of having FF pixel density.

A 24MPix FF sensor will provide slightly better low noise performance in the pixel level.

This is why Nikon choose to use 16MPix for their D4 and Df. In this configuration, you see over 2-stop low noise performance compared to the X-E2.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,346Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 4 months ago

It's interesting that when Canon launched the first 5D DSLR FF a lot of people claimed that this will be the mainstream

Many years after, it's not! For many reasons: weighte, size, cost of all the gear and moreover excellenr results acquired by APSc sensors cameras

To go to FF Fuji would have to invest strating from zero if they want to use their mount A lot of money for an obvious restricted niche market

So it seems reasonable to spend the investment in pushing the catual line of products with new sensor more lenses new bodies because the market for the moment is here

It would be interesting to get ex for Canon the number of 5D sold per year against the sum of 60/70D 7d etc.. same for Nikon

I'm sure tha CaNik they earn their living essentially from APSc sensor cameras

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads