How to get focus peaking highlights to show on GX7?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
ycul
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
How to get focus peaking highlights to show on GX7?
11 months ago

I'm trying to explain how to use a GX7 to family on the other side of the world when I don't have a GX7 myself!

I've gotten them to attach an old manual lens to the GX7 via adapter, enable shoot w/o lens and flip the MF switch. The focus peaking shows when they spin the focus ring on an auto-focus lens, but they don't see it with the manual lens.

Do they have to activate the magnified view?

Is there a button or something that needs to be pressed to activate focus peaking?

Does the AF/MF switch have to be in the MF position?

Thanks for putting up with the rather silly questions! I've Googled and browsed forums to no avail on this one.

ycul's gear list:ycul's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?
Re: How to get focus peaking highlights to show on GX7?
In reply to ycul, 11 months ago

I believe the AF/MF switch needs to be in MF position.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrWalrusGumboot
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?

ycul wrote:

I'm trying to explain how to use a GX7 to family on the other side of the world when I don't have a GX7 myself!

I've gotten them to attach an old manual lens to the GX7 via adapter, enable shoot w/o lens and flip the MF switch. The focus peaking shows when they spin the focus ring on an auto-focus lens, but they don't see it with the manual lens.

Do they have to activate the magnified view?

Is there a button or something that needs to be pressed to activate focus peaking?

Does the AF/MF switch have to be in the MF position?

Thanks for putting up with the rather silly questions! I've Googled and browsed forums to no avail on this one.

They also need to make sure that focus peaking is turned on.

To check, go to the Custom Set Menu (icon is a spanner/wrench with a C)

On page 4 there is the option of 'Peaking'

Go to set, choose the detect level as 'Low' (this will provide more of a peak to get him/her started)

Then choose the preferred display colour.

Press Fn2 to return, and ensure Peaking is selected as on.

You should be good to go!

-- hide signature --

Let the light guide you...

MrWalrusGumboot's gear list:MrWalrusGumboot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
MikeInRomsey
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?

I agree with the former comments on setting up for focus peaking but will it work for old manual lenses attached via an adapter with no electrical connection? Focus peaking only gets displayed when the focus ring is twisted and if there is no signal from the lens surely it won't get activated.

-- hide signature --

Mike Wenman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeinromsey/?details=1
Canon S40 -> Canon G9 -> Panasonic GX7

MikeInRomsey's gear list:MikeInRomsey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
MrWalrusGumboot
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeInRomsey, 11 months ago

MikeInRomsey wrote:

I agree with the former comments on setting up for focus peaking but will it work for old manual lenses attached via an adapter with no electrical connection? Focus peaking only gets displayed when the focus ring is twisted and if there is no signal from the lens surely it won't get activated.

-- hide signature --

Mike Wenman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeinromsey/?details=1
Canon S40 -> Canon G9 -> Panasonic GX7

On my GX7 focus peaking shows whenever it is on, not just when you turn the focus ring. I use it on my voightlander all the time without an electrical connection.

-- hide signature --

Let the light guide you...

MrWalrusGumboot's gear list:MrWalrusGumboot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,426
Like?

As long as it is enabled in the menus peaking should show all the time when you have a manual lens attached.  Try setting it to high if you are not seeing it.  Peaking is based on what is shown in the display.  If your manual focus lens is soft it might not show up, something has to be in focus for it to show up.  There will also be less peaking showing if you are at a high magnification level.

If you shoot in raw you have a couple of other options that will effect peaking.  Since it is based on the display cranking up the contrast and sharpness in the picture controls will result in more peaking.  If you set the photo style to monochrome and the peaking color to yellow it will really stand out.

But if it is on you should see plenty of peaking at the default settings.  The only time I crank it up is if I want to see peaking at high magnification levels.

ycul
Like?
In reply to MrWalrusGumboot, 11 months ago

Thanks for the confirmation that focus peaking works continuously on manual lenses, and the tip about setting it to "low"!

I did have them turn on focus peaking in the menus, but I suspect the issue was the lens being waaay out of focus without the person knowing (it was a 70-200mm and they were VERY out of practice focusing manual lenses). I'm satisfied knowing it will work more apparently when they pop on a lens that doesn't have such a wide focusing range.

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS
ycul
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, 11 months ago

Thanks for the response! Those are some good tips for getting more out of this feature, too. I wish I could mark more than one response as the answer, as I think yours is quite good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads