Long Lens --- How much would you pay?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Tom Gross
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Long Lens --- How much would you pay?
4 months ago

There have been numerous threads and comments here by people desiring a longer prime lens for wildlife, especially bird photography.  I don't know if Olympus or Panasonic read this forum, but if they do, perhaps if enough of us are willing to pay the necessary price, they might consider it.

I personally would gladly pay $1,500 - $2,000 for a 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f5.6.  These are similar prices that Canon and Nikon charge for such lenses.

I would I pay this price because I would then be able to sell all my Canon gear, including a 500mm f4.5 (non IS) and 100-400mm zoom.  This would reduce my camera bag weight substantially and make bird photography more enjoyable.

Tom Gross's gear list:Tom Gross's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
Re: Long Lens --- How much would you pay?
In reply to Tom Gross, 4 months ago

Well, I still have my FZ200, which has 600mm and still amazes me with it's IQ.  I think about a long lens for my new E-M1, but I think taking the FZ200 might be lighter weight and easier to manage...and I am not sure I would want it slower than the FZ200, which is a constant 2.8.

I am not a birder though, so I can see where a long lens on a tripod might be exactly what you want!

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
searun
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,457
Like?

I am right with you on the 300/4 or 400/5.6 prices. I have to say though that a number of 4/3 shooters practically begged Olympus for these lenses, and they dismissed us out of hand. 'We' did get direct contact on this via the four thirds . com forum. I shoot wildlife and birds, and these lenses would be so nice, of course. I thought too that when the Canon 400/5.6 was $1100 +/- that Olympus surely could a great lens, certainly as good or better, to sell at a $2k price point.

I always thought it odd that they did not wish to play to the obvious 4/3 sensor strength. Don't hold your breath on Olympus. Maybe Panasonic.

DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?

My thinking exactly. The lack of a long telephoto for m43 is the obvious hole in the m43 lineup. This wasn't a deal when 43 was supposedly the pro line but not that 43 and m43 have merged and the E-M1 is the flagship, Oly needs to fill the hole.

Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Around 2k for a 300 F4 or 400 F5.6 prime

Luckily I can use the ZD 150 F2 with the 2x converter for a 300 F4.0 long lens, but a dedicated prime at this length would be incredibly wonderful for me.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?

Tom Gross wrote:

There have been numerous threads and comments here by people desiring a longer prime lens for wildlife, especially bird photography. I don't know if Olympus or Panasonic read this forum, but if they do, perhaps if enough of us are willing to pay the necessary price, they might consider it.

I personally would gladly pay $1,500 - $2,000 for a 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f5.6. These are similar prices that Canon and Nikon charge for such lenses.

I'd like a Zuiko m/43 (or 4/3) 300 f/4 too. Same as you.

In the mean time I'm looking for an FD 300mm f/4L (or Nikkor ED-IF 300 4.5)....

I would I pay this price because I would then be able to sell all my Canon gear, including a 500mm f4.5 (non IS) and 100-400mm zoom. This would reduce my camera bag weight substantially and make bird photography more enjoyable.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?
Re: Around 2k for a 300 F4 or 400 F5.6 prime
In reply to Wallybipster, 4 months ago

Wallybipster wrote:

Luckily I can use the ZD 150 F2 with the 2x converter for a 300 F4.0 long lens, but a dedicated prime at this length would be incredibly wonderful for me.

How does IQ compare with 1.4X and the 2X vs no TC?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
murfthesurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
How about a 200 f/2.8?

I wonder how big that would have to be.  I'd like to see that and the 300 f/4 others have spoke of.  I'd probably be willing to pay about $1500 for each.

-- hide signature --

- Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?

olympus has one of the best prime tele lenses ever produced from any manufacturer. Try Olympus ZD 150mm f2.0. Around $2.000.

I have one, and the results are just magnificent!

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
a13
a13
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rocky ID Olympian, 4 months ago

Those Samyang guys make a number of long primes, ok none are f4 but there is a 500mm @f/6.3, among others.. only a couple hundred dollars too so maybe the compromise is manageable?

Treeshade
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

Some say the telephoto lens on Oly road map is 300mm f/4, but I would like to have 400mm. I could pay as much as $2000 if they are weather sealed. And 1.4 TC please.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,142Gear list
Like?

Tom Gross wrote:

There have been numerous threads and comments here by people desiring a longer prime lens for wildlife, especially bird photography. I don't know if Olympus or Panasonic read this forum, but if they do, perhaps if enough of us are willing to pay the necessary price, they might consider it.

I personally would gladly pay $1,500 - $2,000 for a 300mm f4.0 or 400mm f5.6. These are similar prices that Canon and Nikon charge for such lenses.

I would I pay this price because I would then be able to sell all my Canon gear, including a 500mm f4.5 (non IS) and 100-400mm zoom. This would reduce my camera bag weight substantially and make bird photography more enjoyable.

I would pay maybe $400-600 because I'm not a birder, because not every bird deserves to be pictured, and because I'm not good with long FL lenses.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,422Gear list
Like?

Tom Gross wrote:

I cannot for one second even consider anything close to these amounts. I do have a few 300mm F5.6 and one 400mm Sigma F5.6 APO which I use with MF. Sometimes it's still hit and miss, especially when I can't pre-focus since I still lack a body with peaking. Yet I'm hopeful that as soon as I can buy a body that does peaking, most of my problems will go away.

These ISO days I don't need the speed on teles, so I parted with with an OM Oly 300mm F4.5 (which is now on a friend's lens cabinet gathering dust), and also because this F5.6 kicked the Oly's ass in sharpness.

Tamron 300mm F5.6 670Au (mine was in pristine condition and came with ADAPTALL to Yashica adapter)

This one also makes some occasional rounds in the bag as it's a whole lot more compact. However, the focus is easily bound to drift if you point the lens down and it has some noticeable CA wide open that will go away when stopped down, but for size (among other legacy glass) it's very hard to beat.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
mazzuccato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?

I'd like to see a 200mm f2.8 too. The price for the canon is less than 700 euros, so i'll buy it for a similar price.

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,055
Like?

I'm never going to be ble to justify 2000 $ or £ for a lens.  If I can buy a 100-300- that serves me well for £400, surely they could make me a 300 prime that betters the IQ the zoom for under a grand.  I'm not looking for the best lens on the market just the best that I can afford

-- hide signature --
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,017Gear list
Like?

$300 + $25 for a lens adaptor!

Nikon 300mm f4.5 EDIF

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, 4 months ago

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

Well, I still have my FZ200, which has 600mm and still amazes me with it's IQ. I think about a long lens for my new E-M1, but I think taking the FZ200 might be lighter weight and easier to manage...and I am not sure I would want it slower than the FZ200, which is a constant 2.8.

To my eye my E-M5 + Olympus 75-300 is producing results, at 1600 ISO, that are about equal to my FZ200 at 100 ISO in the conditions that I typically shoot.  So for me the FZ200 lens speed advantage is entirely negated by superior m43 sensor performance.  And you also get to enjoy vastly superior results when there's an abundance of light.

I am not a birder though, so I can see where a long lens on a tripod might be exactly what you want!

I spend a lot of time shooting birds, but although my FZ200 has become a bit redundant out to 600mm, it's so very easy to whack a 1.7x TC on the end of it which puts it right back in the game.  My preliminary assessment is that cropping m43 to match just doesn't quite cut the mustard.  But if we had a faster sharper prime, it would be game over.  It doesn't even need to be longer than 300mm, and it doesn't even really need to be that fast.  Just sharper.  Of course the other things wouldbe nice too though

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121
Like?

I would really like to have such a lens but am not sure I would pay what it would cost. I think your estimate of $1500-$2000 for a 300mm f4 or 400mm f5.6 is correct. Such a lens would need to have really good image stabilization before I would pay that much so it would probably need to come from Panasonic. But my GX7 has IBIS so maybe Olympus might break with tradition too and add lens based IS for a premium wildlife lens.

Right now I have a Panasonic 100-300mm and a manual focus Canon FD 300mm f4 with the 1.4 TC. The Canon lens is manual focus with no image stabilization but is good optically. I would expect a modern lens to be even better optically even though my old Canon is setting the bar pretty high.  Both the Canon lens and TC cost me $550 on eBay although it took months before I found them at the price I wanted to pay. If I was a professional wildlife photographer buying a $1500 lens would be an easy decision. But as someone that mostly uses the Canon 300mm for taking pictures of birds and other wildlife near my house for fun I am not sure I could justify the cost of a new lens. The 100-300mm I just got reminded me of how nice AF is but I am not sure it is worth $1000 to me. I would need both AF and IS before I would even consider paying that much.

There is also the matter of size and weight.  I would expect a modern 300mm f4 to be just as big and heavy as the Canon lens I own. When I go on vacations or hiking I always leave the 300mm f4 at home and that would be just as true if I got a new lens.

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 4 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

But if we had a faster sharper prime, it would be game over. It doesn't even need to be longer than 300mm, and it doesn't even really need to be that fast. Just sharper. Of course the other things wouldbe nice too though

I am with you on this.  Particularly if a slower but sharp lens was significantly lighter than the 2+ pounds I would expect for a 300mm f4.  I would pay $800 for a 300 f5.6 if it had good IS, was razor sharp wide open and weighed 1.5 pounds or less.

But there would be a pretty small market for a lens like that compared to a 300mm f4.  When you get to 300mm most people have given up on small and light.  And f4 is needed if a teleconverter is going to be offered with the lens.

cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?

Tom Gross wrote:

To be perfectly honest, although I'd like to say that I'd pony up that kind of dough (and occasionally do when I get excited) I'm not sure I would. $1000 would probably be my limit. And with that sort of budget, I guess I just have to hope that someone like Sigma comes to the rescue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads